Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was at the range a few days ago and I was sharing the range with another shooter. I happened to glance over and he had a red dot sights mounted on his G23. Intrigued I had to talk to him. He had a Docter Optics 7 moa red dot mounted. He was kind enough to let me put a few mags through it. It took a almost 1 full mag to get used to shooting from the 25 with both eyes open. I found it to be slightly faster and i was able to put a full mag in the head at 25. My next question for him was, "does our department authorize this?". According to our Ops, my department does authorize, Doctor Optics, JPoint, and another red dot sight I can't recall. This was the 1st officer in a department of 2k plus that I have seen with a Glock set up like this. In a world where we as LEOs and CCW armed citizens often have to react to a situation, it is my opinion that every edge in a gun fight helps. Of course a red dot sight will never take the place of solid fundamentals and hours upon hours of practice and training. Has anyone had any experience with theses red dots on Glocks?

Will I ever get one installed on any of my Glocks? Probably not but the idea has definitely got me curious.

Let the discussion begin!

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I've thought about doing it to a competition gun, but I don't think I could carry it daily for protection. Dunno, guess I'd have to try it first. :) Let us know if you do. Thanks,

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just received my G 17 milled slide with the Trijicon RMR MOA8 back from OST (One Source Tactical).. Haven't gone to the range yet to "sight in" the Red Dot.. Will do this the coming week and will report back.. (My daily protection is a G26 and my G17 is more for range shooting and general defense)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just received my G 17 milled slide with the Trijicon RMR MOA8 back from OST (One Source Tactical).. Haven't gone to the range yet to "sight in" the Red Dot.. Will do this the coming week and will report back.. (My daily protection is a G26 and my G17 is more for range shooting and general defense)
Did you send in your own slide to OST? They are based here in AZ where I am. I have seen mounts on Midway to mount optics on to a Glock but I'd assume having it milled would translate to a more natural point of aim when sighting in. Please let us know how it shoots and any pictures if possible.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Indeed I send in my G17 slide, they did the milling and the install of the RMR and the back up iron sights.
As soon as I have some "range experience" I will post the results and some pics as well..

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've seen mounts that go on the tac rail to mount a red dot, but no idea how they work.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm going to get one, but I haven't decided which yet. LaserMax "Uni-Max Micro", will mount to my G23 rail. Sucker is tiny, and gets good reviews about it's ease & size. Reviews do say that the red dot in daylight is not as bright as others (which sounds logical for it's micro-size), but the zombies come out at night don't they!
Amazon has it at $113.

Even though I have the factory-installed Trijicon night sights installed, my once sharp focus gets weaker over the years.
I figure I can use all the help I can find!

I am also considering the LaserMax LMS-1131P Guide Rod laser. Positive: Close to barrel (should be most accurate?)
The Negative side is, they say it can be off by 2 inches + or - at 20 yards. No adjustment possible.
Really negative; cheapest I've seen online is $320.!

Need to talk with my LEO bud...

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
It might be neat for a race gun but not at all something I would use on a SD gun

·
Registered
60 Posts
Even though I have the factory-installed Trijicon night sights installed, my once sharp focus gets weaker over the years.
I figure I can use all the help I can find!

I am also considering the LaserMax LMS-1131P Guide Rod laser. Positive: Close to barrel (should be most accurate?)
The Negative side is, they say it can be off by 2 inches + or - at 20 yards. No adjustment possible.
Really negative; cheapest I've seen online is $320.!

Need to talk with my LEO bud...
I have bifocals and do experience some issues with sighting my G26 (I also have the Trijicon night sights)
I installed the Lasermax (guide rod laser) in my G26 and love it..That 2 inches @ 20 yards is OK for me.. I train at 25/30 feet distance with the G26 anyway.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have bifocals and do experience some issues with sighting my G26 (I also have the Trijicon night sights)
I installed the Lasermax (guide rod laser) in my G26 and love it..That 2 inches @ 20 yards is OK for me.. I train at 25/30 feet distance with the G26 anyway.
Another plus 1 on the lasermax, works great on my G30.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had my first range experience after the RMR MOA8 was installed on my G17..All is very promising.. Had a nice 4-5 inch cluster at 50 feet.. I "sighted" the RMR as good as possible.
As stated, this is the first experience and it can only get better from here on..
Here are a few pics of the set up plus the iron sights...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Wow, that looks pretty cool!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very Nice! Now you have me motivated to try it out.

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Wow! Very nice installation!

Looks factory!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Look great AG, must be like shooting a completely new/different machine!

---

Also, Thanks guys, for the tips on LaserMax Guide Rod, I think you've helped me talk myself into it!
Yeah, I too have bifocals for reading, (top-2 ft. focus, bottom-closer reading). Then I have my driving glasses, can't focus (or read signs) without the suckers. Big fun...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Daily carry gun? No way would I ever do it, I'm not even a big believer in lasers as they just give the user that much more reason to be lazy and rely on that laser instead of the fundamentals of proper sight picture.

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
435 said:
Daily carry gun? No way would I ever do it, I'm not even a big believer in lasers as they just give the user that much more reason to be lazy and rely on that laser instead of the fundamentals of proper sight picture.
Great first post!

Welcome to the Glock.pro forums...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tried it. Hated it.

It was difficult to get the gun to come up with the red dot in line with my eye.

I could not justify all the extra training that would be required to change my habits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had my first range experience after the RMR MOA8 was installed on my G17..All is very promising.. Had a nice 4-5 inch cluster at 50 feet.. I "sighted" the RMR as good as possible.
As stated, this is the first experience and it can only get better from here on..
Here are a few pics of the set up plus the iron sights...
I like it! I've been looking for options for mounting a RD or reflex on my G23 for the range. Not sure whether it would be good for EDC or CC but could be fun for range practice. I especially like the slide cover plate. I'm a huge TB Bucs fan and it kinda reminds me of their battle flag. Do you know where I can find one of those?

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
www.midwayusa.com/Product/892460

Trijicon Docter Optic Holographic Red Dot Sight 7 MOA Dot Matte

Discontinued by Manufacturer

$425.00
Pretty strong price for a civil servant's pay grade ....

I like the concept of the guide rod laser, I have a under rail mounted pressure pad operated red dot laser on a .45 I am real impressed with.

From what I have read, the Green is a better daytime use.

:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts