Glock Pro Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts
I have not ventured into reloading as of yet, investment to get up and running is too much for me. Pretty much all ARs I've seen for sale are of the 1:9 barrel. I don't see myself shooting further than 100 yds if even that far. Read a recent article, many are of the opinion that a person can shoot damn near any round from a 1:9 set-up. .....When loading for home defense and or SHTF, I would think heavy rounds am I correct? Will it make a noticeale difference shooting a 90gr for example out of a 1:9 barrel for close in use?
Let me answer your question this way: The standard military .223 ball ammunition these days is M855 (62-grain boat tail bullet) and M193 (55-grain bullet). Both work just fine in the 1:9" barrel, both for defense and close-in (100 yards or less) target shooting. The M855 is probably fairly accurate out to 300 yards. The M193 is probably best used within 100 yards.

Don't worry about using heavy bullets and fast barrels, they are meant for wind bucking target shooting at long distances. The standard 55-grain bullet, a nearly 3,000 fps, has plenty of power for defensive purposes. Use that in the standard 1:9" barrel and you are in good shape.

Sorry for confusing the matter with too much information, I wrote a manual on reloading for the AR-15, and I do get carried away.

Chris

I have a Smith & Wesson M&P15 with the 1:9 M4 profile barrell. I shoot my handloads of Horniday 55 gr boattail V-max buttels. I can put one round on another at over 200 yards with a Redfield Revolution 3x9-40mm scope. Its a plenty for defensive, hunting (moderate sized game), and plinking purposes. There are so many options to choose from that I feel form factor, weight, reputation are more important data points than barrel twist or gimicky features.

Discussion starter · #43 ·
No apology needed Chris. The knowledge you pass along is appreciated and helpful not only to me but other members also. Least you did not write "go to google or yahoo and search the answer." You not only provide an answer but the why and how you came about that answer.

Thanks again brother.
John

Discussion starter · #44 ·
DPMS, Stag Arms, and Palmetto State Armory are all fine choices. I have a Bushmaster I built in the 1990s and it has never failed me. :)
What can you tell me about the Model 1 Stag Arms brother? Also, what are your thoughts regards to Delton rifles? Would a NIB Delton be worth $750.00?
Thanks
John

I have not ventured into reloading as of yet, investment to get up and running is too much for me. Pretty much all ARs I've seen for sale are of the 1:9 barrel. I don't see myself shooting further than 100 yds if even that far. Read a recent article, many are of the opinion that a person can shoot damn near any round from a 1:9 set-up.
When loading for home defense and or SHTF, I would think heavy rounds am I correct? Will it make a noticeale difference shooting a 90gr for example out of a 1:9 barrel for close in use?

Unless war breaks out here in the good old USA, I cannot see neautralizing a target from long range.

Thanks
John
John reloading does not have to be super expensive to start up. Nice single stage or turret press can get you started. Give us a shout when ready! Many useful threads on this forum :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What can you tell me about the Model 1 Stag Arms brother? Also, what are your thoughts regards to Delton rifles? Would a NIB Delton be worth $750.00?
Thanks
John
Seems like the question was geared toward rangerbludog but I have some experience with both so I will chime in. The Stag is very good for the price, which I believe is around $900 NIB. Delton I've shot both the DT Sport and a dedicated 22lr. Both worked and where fine for plinking, didn't have any malfs. Delton is considered as a lower level AR, and my understanding is that such manufactures are more at the mercy of their parts suppliers, which could mean more variation in components and sometimes in quality. If I really wanted an AR and only had $600 I would go for one, but for $750 I would save another $100 and get something from a "better" brand. Just my $.02!

I have a Smith & Wesson M&P15 with the 1:9 M4 profile barrell. I shoot my handloads of Horniday 55 gr boattail V-max buttels. I can put one round on another at over 200 yards with a Redfield Revolution 3x9-40mm scope. Its a plenty for defensive, hunting (moderate sized game), and plinking purposes. There are so many options to choose from that I feel form factor, weight, reputation are more important data points than barrel twist or gimicky features.
Never having used the Hornady bullet you mentioned, I would certainly take your word about your accuracy results. And at 55 grains, the Hornady should work well in any AR-15 barrel.

The boattail seems to be the magic ingredient, even the military is using it now in the M855, which carries a 62-grain green-tipped boattail. ATK has this to say about the M855: "Adopted by NATO in 1980, the new load has a spitzer boattail bullet. It also has much improved penetration characteristics over the old M193 55-grain projectile at all ranges, resulting in higher retained velocity and greater accuracy at long range."

Admittedly, barrel twist is a fine point, but for competitive shooters it's critical, and that's usually my focus. As a practical matter, for everyday or defensive shooting, I agree with you that form factor and quality (as opposed to reputation) are more important factors for most AR-15 buyers.

Chris

Discussion starter · #49 · (Edited)
Took all the knowledge passed on by everyone and went shopping the web. After 6 hours of searching multitudes of auctions and for sale sites I found my rifle.
It has everything I wanted and more and figured for the quality I was making an investment in a soild rig:

Palmetto M4 w/ scope & rail, New, nib, No Reserve : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

Need to find an FFL in the West Phoenix area near Tolleson that is not charging an arm and a leg to handle the transfer.

Thanks again to all that provided advice, I did read all posts and used parts of everyone's post to make my choice. I hope I am as excited and happy once she arrives. :)

*****Tried uploading a few pictures from the auction using the Basic Uploader. I selected the pictures from my gallery but never uploaded anything. Is there something goofed with the basic uploader? Using the other defauly uploader thingy is a pain the they Buttstock. ;-). ***** I am using an ASUS Android Tablet if that helps.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Otintx, how'd I do for this being my first AR investment? I'm as excited as a dog headed to the dog park. Lol

That is what I would call a "full boat" AR-15! I've heard nothing but good things about Palmetto State Armory, they have been around for a quite a while. When you get this beauty and have a chance to take it out to the desert, please let us know how everything works, will you?

Chris

Otintx, how'd I do for this being my first AR investment? I'm as excited as a dog headed to the dog park. Lol
Nice rifle, good maker and all "mil spec"... That will outshoot almost anyone! Congrats and enjoy...

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Thanks fellas. Coming from you guys, that means a lot. Chris, will give a report for sure. Now to find an FFL here in West Phoenix that charges a reasonable fee for the transfer. You guys know anyone trust worthy?

I think that is one nice looking package for person wanting to just buy and shoot ... Which is the group I lean with !

Do offer up a report when things settle down from walking the dog.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.