Glock Pro Forums banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts
That DOES have a distinct "issued" flair, doesn't it? Could the panic be subsiding?

Chris
The only "downside" I see with that one is a BIGGIE though... It's marked as .223.... I didn't notice that when I posted it. Would that be enough for you to choose another?

The only "downside" I see with that one is a BIGGIE though... It's marked as .223.... I didn't notice that when I posted it. Would that be enough for you to choose another?
The .223 chambering will work just fine if you handload or shoot commercial .223 ammo. If you're going to shoot military ammo, like M855 (62-grain green-tipped bullets), it would be a good idea to have a 5.56 rifle.

If you plan to shoot a mix of ammo in a 5.56, I would expect some loss of accuracy for .223 because in the 5.56 the leade is (I believe, I have no data..) a little longer. You can correct for this with handloads, but with commercial ammo you have to accept a compromise.

Here's a link to a short article that discusses this issue: http://www.humanevents.com/2011/02/15/223-remington-vs-556-nato-what-you-dont-know-could-hurt-you/

I do not know what ".223/5.56" chambering means, by the way. I've seen guns marked that way and it just baffles me.

Chris

As long as it's marked 5.56 it will shoot both, and the dual marking is, I believe, just for "clarity". If the gun is marked ".223, then it won't shoot 5.56 as you said. For me, that would prevent me buying that model. I'm sure there is another one of those, almost the same, with the "dual" chambering.

As long as it's marked 5.56 it will shoot both, and the dual marking is, I believe, just for "clarity". If the gun is marked ".223, then it won't shoot 5.56 as you said. For me, that would prevent me buying that model. I'm sure there is another one of those, almost the same, with the "dual" chambering.
For this particular rifle (the carbine in .223) I agree with you: the 5.56 or "dual" chambering would be preferable because the configuration of the rifle doesn't necessarily lend itself to precision shooting. Although it's not specified, the barrel is probably a 1:9" twist.

If I wanted a(nother) AR-15 with a 20" barrel that just might be used in competition, I would prefer the .223 chamber for the sake of accuracy, and I would specify a 1:7" twist. I would plan to handload for that one, and that is one heck of an accurate little rifle!

Chris

I will second everyone's opinion on Windham, they are well made, basically a Bushmaster from back when they cranked quality products. Also should look into S&W M&P, but it will be difficult to find all you want at your target price. Truth is I was on your boat last year and my conclusion is you are much better off by going up to at least $1,000. You will get mill spec parts, better barrel, BCG, trigger, etc, all things you will likely want to upgrade later anyway. And a thousand can get you very good brands like Colt, Windham, Spikes Tactical, Sig, Stags, and others. My LGS has the Ruger SR piston new for $1,100! My next AR will be a Daniel Defense!

Better get 'em before Washington goes after them again! It amazes me how politicians get so wound up about "inanimate objects"... If they concerned themselves more with people and less with "things" and "causes", we'd maybe get back to who we are!

Better get 'em before Washington goes after them again! It amazes me how politicians get so wound up about "inanimate objects"... If they concerned themselves more with people and less with "things" and "causes", we'd maybe get back to who we are!
No kidding! Funny how it is labeled a "modern sporting rifle" sounds "evil":)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Discussion starter · #30 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses. I may have found my rifle. Is being sold locally by a private party, advertised he only put 400 rounds through it. The price is in my league, it is on of the high quality rifles mentioned but holding back details until I have checked it out in person and either bought it or passed since the deal is very good. No offense to anyone but it is almost one that is too good to be true. Might be the clean living and honesty coming back to help me.
Will keep in touch.
John

Update: I have to wonder if the rifle I'd seen was stolen and the guy was trying to get rid of it fast. It was on backpage.com. Was a Colt LEO/Military marked advertised for 750.00. Sent the guy an email showing interest at 4a.m. Asked him to call or text me in the morning with time and place. At around 9am he emails me says "Sold It!". Gee, thanks for the chance buddy!

As my neighbor's father stated, "you don't get a $1300.00 gun for that price unless it is stolen or the person did not know what they had."

Talking with a guy now that is selling his Stag Arms AR-15 5.56 for $750.00. If he still has it when I get back in town, will be making the investment. Needs a scope mount bolt replaced, no biggie.

Reason I am not going to the $1,000.00 range, I cannot justify putting that much out for a rifle. I do not shoot competition, very long range practice. Looking for an additional defense weapon that will get the job done. Living on a budget does suck sometimes but keeps me from spending outside of my means.

Thanks again everyone. Read all comments and absorbed the information.

John

Thanks for all the responses. I may have found my rifle. Is being sold locally by a private party, advertised he only put 400 rounds through it. The price is in my league, it is on of the high quality rifles mentioned but holding back details until I have checked it out in person and either bought it or passed since the deal is very good. No offense to anyone but it is almost one that is too good to be true. Might be the clean living and honesty coming back to help me.
Will keep in touch.
John
Good for you and you KNOW you are required to post pics!

Will keep in touch.
John
Unfortunately it's a smart thing to keep some "item for sale" info to yourself. I once posted a "is this a good deal" question on another forum about a particular pistol I was considering listed in a local online "classifieds" (I only listed the model details, no link to the ad or even information as to how I came across the gun) only to find a couple of "new competitors" that ended up snatching the gun away from me.

They were pretty clever, looked at my profile, found where I lived, and just searched all the "for sale online" sites in that area, then looked through them until they found it.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you... If it does, pics or it didn't happen!

This thread and it's included links are quite timely for me as I am also ready for an AR15 and find the choices baffling.
I was given a brief primer on ARs the other day at my trusted LGS but I still need a lot of research before buying.
Thanks for the thread!

This is a late response, and just about everything has been answered now... But I figured I'd jump in.
My AR list was quite good before it was all sold for court costs...
Here's the line up...
The one on top was a Ruger SR556, Nice rifle, but I didn't really see the need for the piston driven operation, or the 100 round drum which was removed along with that fore grip that was on there...
The one in the center was a Rock River LAR-8, (.308) It was a blast to shoot, till I decided I didn't like the "rattle" in the stock. Long story short... DON'T EVER take the buffer apart, there is nothing in there anyone would EVER need to replace.
The one on the bottom was my favorite, a 20" barrel and match sights, it was a really good shooter. It was by far, my favorite rifle ever. I will be building my next one exactly like it with the exception of a free float hand guard. It started out as a stripped lower made by Black Rain Ordnance. I loved that rifle.
Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Good for you and you KNOW you are required to post pics!

You know it! ;-) Still waiting to find out the twist of the barrel. Am I correct, the best to have would be the 1-8 to enable either light or heavy gr ammo?

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Unfortunately it's a smart thing to keep some "item for sale" info to yourself. I once posted a "is this a good deal" question on another forum about a particular pistol I was considering listed in a local online "classifieds" (I only listed the model details, no link to the ad or even information as to how I came across the gun) only to find a couple of "new competitors" that ended up snatching the gun away from me.

They were pretty clever, looked at my profile, found where I lived, and just searched all the "for sale online" sites in that area, then looked through them until they found it.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you... If it does, pics or it didn't happen!
Thanks brother. You are correct. It is too bad that there are those that will take advantage of the excitement of a good investment deal and wanting to share the good news with friends. I did feel like a jerk for posting the news the way I did but as you said, there are those few that have no common manners; respect for others or courtesy.

You know it! ;-) Still waiting to find out the twist of the barrel. Am I correct, the best to have would be the 1-8 to enable either light or heavy gr ammo?
1:7 to 1:9 is acceptable... 1:16 is what you don't want.

1:7 to 1:9 is acceptable... 1:16 is what you don't want.
Are you reloading for .223?

If so, then Sierra recommends the following for the heavier bullets:

69 grain : Not less than 1:10", which means 1:9" is OK as are 1:7", 1:8". These bullets work very well out to 300 yards. In this case, "less than" means a slower barrel twist, or higher ratio.

77 grain : 1:7" or 1:8"
80 grain : 1:8"
90 grain : 1:6.5"​

Their lighter 50-65 grain bullets will work in any of these barrels. The bullets I've listed are HPBT MatchKing, and Sierra has put a great deal of research into what they publish. If you are using bullets made by other makers, please pay attention to their recommendations for barrel twist.

If you are not reloading, pay attention to the packaging for the ammo, it should (repeat *SHOULD*) advise you about the barrel twist. If it says nothing, I think you can assume that it will work in a 1:9" barrel. But as EdF702 has indicated, avoid the really slow barrels.

I think that the most common combination seen is a 1:9" barrel shooting 55-grain commercial ammo, and that's a pretty good combination. Just pretty good, not really good.

If you really want accuracy, a 1:7" barrel shooting a 69-grain Sierra HPBT bullet is capable of amazing, one-ragged-hole at 100 yards accuracy, by comparison. You are not likely to see that with the 1:9" shooting 55-grain FMJ. The 77-grain and 80-grain bullets extend your reach, to the point where the 80-grain was the standard for 600-yard slow-fire when I was shooting NRA High Power Service Rifle.

Six Hundred Yards over open sights. Only those with good eyes need apply.

I got carried away again, sorry!

Chris

Discussion starter · #40 ·
I have not ventured into reloading as of yet, investment to get up and running is too much for me. Pretty much all ARs I've seen for sale are of the 1:9 barrel. I don't see myself shooting further than 100 yds if even that far. Read a recent article, many are of the opinion that a person can shoot damn near any round from a 1:9 set-up.
When loading for home defense and or SHTF, I would think heavy rounds am I correct? Will it make a noticeale difference shooting a 90gr for example out of a 1:9 barrel for close in use?

Unless war breaks out here in the good old USA, I cannot see neautralizing a target from long range.

Thanks
John

Are you reloading for .223?

If so, then Sierra recommends the following for the heavier bullets:

69 grain : Not less than 1:10", which means 1:9" is OK as are 1:7", 1:8". These bullets work very well out to 300 yards. In this case, "less than" means a slower barrel twist, or higher ratio.

77 grain : 1:7" or 1:8"
80 grain : 1:8"
90 grain : 1:6.5"​

Their lighter 50-65 grain bullets will work in any of these barrels. The bullets I've listed are HPBT MatchKing, and Sierra has put a great deal of research into what they publish. If you are using bullets made by other makers, please pay attention to their recommendations for barrel twist.

If you are not reloading, pay attention to the packaging for the ammo, it should (repeat *SHOULD*) advise you about the barrel twist. If it says nothing, I think you can assume that it will work in a 1:9" barrel. But as EdF702 has indicated, avoid the really slow barrels.

I think that the most common combination seen is a 1:9" barrel shooting 55-grain commercial ammo, and that's a pretty good combination. Just pretty good, not really good.

If you really want accuracy, a 1:7" barrel shooting a 69-grain Sierra HPBT bullet is capable of amazing, one-ragged-hole at 100 yards accuracy, by comparison. You are not likely to see that with the 1:9" shooting 55-grain FMJ. The 77-grain and 80-grain bullets extend your reach, to the point where the 80-grain was the standard for 600-yard slow-fire when I was shooting NRA High Power Service Rifle.

Six Hundred Yards over open sights. Only those with good eyes need apply.

I got carried away again, sorry!

Chris

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.