Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new in the box Glock 19 gen 4 one week ago. Having a CCW, I was able to buy the gun and take it home on the spot. The first thing I did was to clean it up, give it a gentle lubrication, and familarize myself with it. On Friday (9-13-13) I took it to a local range with my girlfriend. I purchased a set of Truglo night sites and was going to have them install them after I had enjoyed the gun for a bit.
We entered the range and I loaded the magazines with Blazer 115 grain brass FMJ range ammo. My first shot was a near bullseye! The recoil was minimal and I was completely impressed since I am accustomed to shooting my somewhat snappy DA Ruger LC-9 9mm. The shots that followed were decently grouped and I really enjoyed the feel of the weapon. There was one problem though and that was that 60% of my shots that followed were producing BTF !
I thought to myself "WTF? I thought those issues had been solved! My gun has the latest extractor and spring!"
So I handed it to my girlfriend to try and she got similar results. After cycling through three magazines, all with significant BTF rounds, I decided to take it out the desk and have the gunsmith install the TroGlo night sights while I fired my LC-9 and my Smith & Wesson model 10 38 special. I mentioned it to the gunsmith and he seemed puzzled. So he accompanied me back into the range and he fired ten shots, tightly grouped, with zero BTF issues! I then fired the gun once more for several rounds and there was zero BTF issues for me as well! He said that my stance and grip looked right and that I was probally limp wristing it without realizing it. He gave me a couple pointers on grip technique and with the next five rounds I punched out a quarter sized hole in the target's center at about 10 yards with no issues.
overall, I am completely impressed with this weapon. I think my LC-9 is headed for out for sale!

Reactions: glocktoter

·
Registered
154 Posts
Excellent! I noticed right off the bat that the technique I had become so familiar with having Sigs before was very different with the Glock. I was subtle but very different for me. Once I got comfortable with the new grip (pressure), I was punching similar holes as you with my G19.

My problem with the G19 was that it was so good, that I came home from my first range trip wanting a G26 and a G34, as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:cool:I have to agree fully! I'm already wanting a Glock 21 :p

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hehe, it's probably a good thing they don't make a single-stack 9mm subcompact—I may have already brought one of those home for CC.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I've had my Gen 4 19 for almost two years, and a gen 3 before it. I've never had BTF, or any hiccup in the gen 4 in over 4000 + rounds. Not a single malfunction of any kind. It has been a model of Glock Perfection. My only problem with it is since I got my 26 the 19 doesn't get carried as much. Maybe cooler temps will change that but the 26 carries so nice. No question though the 19 is my benchmark for all defensive handguns, and very few match up.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Okay, I am seeing BTF a few times here and there. Someone changed something and forgot to send me the memo. Plus the fact I have been gone for awhile dealing with some personal issues. So someone tell me what is BTF?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Okay, I am seeing BTF a few times here and there. Someone changed something and forgot to send me the memo. Plus the fact I have been gone for awhile dealing with some personal issues. So someone tell me what is BTF?
BTF = Brass to the face. It occurs when you get hit in the face, head or arms from ejected brass.

The Gen 4 model 19 if it has the latest ejector will prevent the BTF issue. The newest ejector has a slight twist to the front of the ejector compared to an older ejector. I believe the newest ejector has a 4 diget number stamped on it. The older one has a 3 diget number stamped on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
BTF = Brass to the face. It occurs when you get hit in the face, head or arms from ejected brass.

The Gen 4 model 19 if it has the latest ejector will prevent the BTF issue. The newest ejector has a slight twist to the front of the ejector compared to an older ejector. I believe the newest ejector has a 4 diget number stamped on it. The older one has a 3 diget number stamped on it.
The first time I shot my G22 Gen 4 OD at the shooting range, I had 3 total BTF & 2 over the head (near the scalp) using Tula ammo 180 gr Full Steel Case ammo ( total of 50 rds).However, when I used the Winchester 165 gr FMJ- none, also a total of 50 rds. With a total of only 100 rds, I had NO hiccups! :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a new in the box Glock 19 gen 4 one week ago. Having a CCW, I was able to buy the gun and take it home on the spot. The first thing I did was to clean it up, give it a gentle lubrication, and familarize myself with it. On Friday (9-13-13) I took it to a local range with my girlfriend. I purchased a set of Truglo night sites and was going to have them install them after I had enjoyed the gun for a bit.
We entered the range and I loaded the magazines with Blazer 115 grain brass FMJ range ammo. My first shot was a near bullseye! The recoil was minimal and I was completely impressed since I am accustomed to shooting my somewhat snappy DA Ruger LC-9 9mm. The shots that followed were decently grouped and I really enjoyed the feel of the weapon. There was one problem though and that was that 60% of my shots that followed were producing BTF !
I thought to myself "WTF? I thought those issues had been solved! My gun has the latest extractor and spring!"
So I handed it to my girlfriend to try and she got similar results. After cycling through three magazines, all with significant BTF rounds, I decided to take it out the desk and have the gunsmith install the TroGlo night sights while I fired my LC-9 and my Smith & Wesson model 10 38 special. I mentioned it to the gunsmith and he seemed puzzled. So he accompanied me back into the range and he fired ten shots, tightly grouped, with zero BTF issues! I then fired the gun once more for several rounds and there was zero BTF issues for me as well! He said that my stance and grip looked right and that I was probally limp wristing it without realizing it. He gave me a couple pointers on grip technique and with the next five rounds I punched out a quarter sized hole in the target's center at about 10 yards with no issues.
overall, I am completely impressed with this weapon. I think my LC-9 is headed for out for sale!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Exact setup I had should have read this sooner . It's been a while since the army my first two shots were 3 inches center but had hangs. I assumed it was the gun due to the surpressor son tried it it he had good results seemed to have better wwrit grip than me 74 . Your guy was probably spot with me will get out next week and try. Also have a recoil mix coming in case the surpressor is firthing the reload thanks well written piece.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have owned a lot of Glocks and have 3 now(17, 48, 42) and occasionally I'll get that, maybe one or 2 rounds in a 300 round range session but mostly how I'm holding the thing. My sons, who own 17s, 45s, 48s...never have any issue. so..probably my crappy 70 year old, gooned up RH hand, wrist and thumb...

OBTW-I had a Ruger LC-9s..couldn't get rid of that thing fast enough..see 'gooned up RH hand, wrist, thumb', above....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Really appreciate the honesty. Took mine out hadn't used it much since recovering from pancreatic cancer several years ago. But son bought a farm with a lot of space. I am 73 really like the feel got it all cleaned first 3 even my son couldn't believe it 3 in about a 3 in circle at20 yards then the mis feeds .i have a surpressor on it so I attributed it to possibly needing a heavier recoil spring. But after thinking and reading a couple of feedbacks I think I join the weak writs hold club. In any case I did get a couple recoi springs to try if any make a difference will comment back.

When my son shot it he dint have any he is lefty not that makes a difference but I noticed his body was more stable than mine. Army days long time ago. Ahaha. Enjoy

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
It always helps to squeeze tight with your support hand... think of it like a vice that stops the pistol from moving.

Glad Buck's post helped you out... Unfortunately this thread is several years old and it has been seven years since Buck last posted on this forum... Still lots of smart helpful people here though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It always helps to squeeze tight with your support hand... think of it like a vice that stops the pistol from moving.

Glad Buck's post helped you out... Unfortunately this thread is several years old and it has been seven years since Buck last posted on this forum... Still lots of smart helpful people here though.
Thanks for the insight, headed back out today. Took it down cleaned it us. Think I will first get it right without surpressor then go from there. This site is great for us x army guys who haven't shot in over 45 years. The min dis willing the arthritis is too thank you again

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Thanks for the insight, headed back out today. Took it down cleaned it us. Think I will first get it right without surpressor then go from there. This site is great for us x army guys who haven't shot in over 45 years. The min dis willing the arthritis is too thank you again
You're welcome... Hope it helps you out.

Smart to test it without the suppressor first... Let us know how it works out.

__jb (X Navy guy... )

·
Registered
307 Posts
The "Gateway" Glock always satisfies OP! Glad to hear your problems were solved the first range trip out. Personally, I would keep the Ruger, just for pocket carry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts