Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright just picked up my first piece, a gen 4 glock 19. Ive been shooting glocks for about 2 years now, so im still learning. However ive never actually owned a fire arm. Never had to clean one / field strip it / lube it up, any of it. I know i should clean it just about after every range session. So just looking for some basic tips or advice, maybe some pics. Appreciate any kind of tips i can get. I am taking some basic firearm classes in 2 weeks and dont wanna look like an idiot.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Practice makes perfect! I wouldn't worry about looking like an "idiot" everyone starts somewhere. I think its good that your taking those classes to better familiarize yourself with your weapon. You can never have too much knowledge, especially something that can possibly save you and your loved ones lives!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Glock Cleaning:

Both of those guys lubricate with grease, I use one drop of gun oil in each spot indicated by the instruction manual, except I only put a drop of oil in the area in the back of the frame once every few months because any more often and oil starts pooling up in there.

This is pretty much how I lubricate my Glocks(notice that the video is flipped, like looking in a mirror):

I use Hoppe's #9 bore solvent to clean the bore of the barrel, Hoppe's Elite Cleaner to clean pretty much everything else including polymer, Ballistol oil for corrosion protection of any metal parts I can reach, and Hoppe's oil for lubrication.

A few tips with Glocks and firearms in general: before reassembling the pistol, even if you didn't take the barrel and guide rod out of the slide, make sure you fully seat the base of the guide rod in its crescent shaped notch in the barrel lug because it will slightly pop out of that spot when you disassemble. Don't get oil into the firing pin channel, onto the breech face(the face of the slide that the firing pin comes through to strike the primer of a chambered round), don't get oil around the extractor, or into the internals of the slide in any way. Don't get oil on your ammunition because it will deactivate the gun powder or the primer. Any metal surface that you put oil on for corrosion protection, make sure you wipe it as dry as possible, then lubricate the areas indicated in the instruction manual before reassembling the gun.

·
Registered
51 Posts
if im honest, ive owned my 3rd gen 17 for right at a month, and i used a combo of youtube videos and my manual to learn how to field strip it. ive put probably 400 rds through it so far, and have only cleaned it 3 times. i also havent lubricated it yet (i know i know, get paid tomorrow, will do it), but i have had no malfunctions

this is the video i used

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
Everyone has given you tips on cleaning and lubing so I'll add;

Make sure the firearm is empty
Then, make sure the firearm is empty
and finally, make sure the firearm is empty before doing and cleaning or lubing.

Good luck and let us know how your class goes!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Everyone has given you tips on cleaning and lubing so I'll add;

Make sure the firearm is empty
Then, make sure the firearm is empty
and finally, make sure the firearm is empty before doing and cleaning or lubing.

Good luck and let us know how your class goes!
and for good measure...make sure the firearm is empty. its scary how casually people treat guns.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
There are some really useful youtube videos out there. Not everyone on there is some idiot looking for a few seconds of "fame"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.