Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you take the striker, extractor, safety&spring, and the extractor pin (or whatever it's called) out of the slide, is there still a channel liner that is plastic inside where the striker goes? Does it come out, how? And, does it need to be replaced after a while?

Hays

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
When you take the striker, extractor, safety&spring, and the extractor pin (or whatever it's called) out of the slide, is there still a channel liner that is plastic inside where the striker goes? Does it come out, how? And, does it need to be replaced after a while?

Hays
Excellent question Hays; the Channel Liner is normally removed with a Liner removal tool. This is NOT something that should be attempted without need and the proper tool. The only reasons that I have ever seen to do such is because if the liner becoming deformed by excessive heat or by someone trying to remove it without the proper tool and scaring or otherwise causing the interior surfaces to become scratched. Such actions could cause a misfire, non-fire, or impede the striker and spring and cups. If needed a simple cleaning with a pipe cleaner is normally all that is required and of course FrogLube will not impede nor collect contaminants so it is safe to use. Otherwise I would refrain from any other type of lubricant in the Channel Liner. Hope this helps to answer your question. Be SAFE.....Shoot WELL....................PS, my Glock 22 Gen 2 has over 28,000 rounds on nthe original liner and there is still no need to replace it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Excellent question Hays; the Channel Liner is normally removed with a Liner removal tool. This is NOT something that should be attempted without need and the proper tool. The only reasons that I have ever seen to do such is because if the liner becoming deformed by excessive heat or by someone trying to remove it without the proper tool and scaring or otherwise causing the interior surfaces to become scratched. Such actions could cause a misfire, non-fire, or impede the striker and spring and cups. If needed a simple cleaning with a pipe cleaner is normally all that is required and of course FrogLube will not impede nor collect contaminants so it is safe to use. Otherwise I would refrain from any other type of lubricant in the Channel Liner. Hope this helps to answer your question. Be SAFE.....Shoot WELL....................PS, my Glock 22 Gen 2 has over 28,000 rounds on nthe original liner and there is still no need to replace it.
^^^^^ What he said

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Here are a couple of interesting little data points: the channel liner appears exactly once in the Armorer's Manual (©GLOCK, 2009), in the Exploded Drawing on page 13. There is no other mention of the part, no maintenance procedure including detail stripping, and no other mention of the channel liner tool (at least none that I could find after going through the manual twice). There are two mentions of inserting the firing pin assembly into the firing pin channel cut, but no mention that there is a liner in that cut.

In the GEN4 ARMORER'S MANUAL (©GLOCK, 2010) the channel liner is not pictured in the Exploded Drawing on page 2, although it is included in the parts list. It is as if Glock didn't know the part is included in the Gen4 pistols (it is).

Looking a little further, there is no current Glock channel liner tool in the Armorer's parts list, but there is an aftermarket tool available through Brownells (CHANNEL LINER TOOL for GLOCK® | Brownells). Glock does offer a Channel Maintenance Kit, consisting of a special set of five scrapers designed to clean out carbon from various recesses in the slide. It's available from Glock and from MidwayUSA (Glock Armorer's Channel Maintenance Kit).

Talk about a "stealth" part!

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Chris--

What have you used to place a liner back into the channel?
A .38/9mm cotton bore swab on a cleaning rod:

Food Ingredient Office supplies Fashion accessory Event

It's tight enough to remove the liner and loose enough re-install it. Just push it into place and hold the liner there with a blunt unsharpened pencil (for example) while you pull the swab out.

Chris

·
Registered
569 Posts
The subject of the channel liner came up in my class. We were told that a tool with aggressive threads similar to a big wood screw was used to remove it. Once it was removed, it had to be replaced with a new one.

To install a new one, just press it in using the Glock tool.

When cleaning, make sure no oil is in the liner. I usually swab it out with a Q-tip.

The reference to the 2010 manual by cohland is newer information than I have.

·
Banned
137 Posts
For many years, now, the standard device used for removing channel liners from Glock striker channels has been a 5/16's inch carriage bolt. Like this -

Removing the channel liner is, by the way, something you almost never need to do. The only ones I've removed have all been pulled out in order for the slide to be properly heated during refinishing. Some channel liners fit tighter than others. I've yet had to replace a loose fitting liner; they just seem to almost fall out. It's the tight ones that you might have to replace; but, my Glock tool box has plenty of them on hand; so this is never a problem.

PS: Cohland, I like your suggestion; and I'm going to try it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ordered a G19 BFG and had the slide ceracoated. When the firearm arrived I tried to disassemble the slide to oil it and could not get the firing pin out because they did not leave the channel liner in during the finishing and baking process so some particles of ceracoat got into the channel so the liner was not seated properly. My question is, how do I remove or clean the particles out of the channel so I can seat the new channel liner properly? Any help would be great, Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,030 Posts
I ordered a G19 BFG and had the slide ceracoated. When the firearm arrived I tried to disassemble the slide to oil it and could not get the firing pin out because they did not leave the channel liner in during the finishing and baking process so some particles of ceracoat got into the channel so the liner was not seated properly. My question is, how do I remove or clean the particles out of the channel so I can seat the new channel liner properly? Any help would be great, Thanks
I'd call the people that applied the coating and ask them...

And then I would never use or recommend them again...

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi tim414, and thank you for the reply. I really would not want to put their name out there just because they were so apologetic, they sent me new parts, wanted pictures so they could review them and address the issue with the employee that did the work. The particles were overspray from the cerakote. All I did was use a bore brush the proper size with some Flitz, it worked perfectly

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
hi tim414, and thank you for the reply. I really would not want to put their name out there just because they were so apologetic, they sent me new parts, wanted pictures so they could review them and address the issue with the employee that did the work. The particles were overspray from the cerakote. All I did was use a bore brush the proper size with some Flitz, it worked perfectly
With the firing pin installed, when you hold the slide vertical with the firing pin at the top and shake the slide...Does the firing pin rattle? Also when holding it in the same position and pressing the the firing pin safety plunger, does the firing pin drop through the face of the breech?

Gaz

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I talked to them quite a few times to solve the problem and were very helpful and apologetic. I did not want to ship the slide back and wait two weeks for it to come back. What, sir, would you have done, (since you are an armorer) if this slide was brought to you with the same problem?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the reply, I talked to them quite a few times to solve the problem and were very helpful and apologetic. I did not want to ship the slide back and wait two weeks for it to come back. What, sir, would you have done, (since you are an armorer) if this slide was brought to you with the same problem?
What I understand that you are saying is that you cleaned the inside of the channel liner with a brush and polish? And that cleaned out all of the debris that was causing the problem? I don't know that that is not a fine solution, but I just don't know. I would expect that replacing the channel liner would be the manufacturer's solution, but since the problem was caused by the finisher company, that should be their obligation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
With the new channel liner installed in the channel the firing pin does not rattle and the pin drops through the face of the breech, and everything works fine. Thank you for the reply
It should but if it's working fine no big deal unless this a CC weapon. If that is the case I would replace the liner, they are not expensive.

Gaz

·
Super Moderator
3,259 Posts
Note that armorers are not gunsmiths. Armorers are limited to maintaining, troubleshooting and repairing stock configuration Glocks. Technically, as an armorer, a gun with an aftermarket coating would fail the inspection and that would be the end of it.

For many, getting the certification is just added knowledge about how a Glock works. But the cert itself technically ends with aftermarket parts (excluding sights).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.