Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had my sister Drop me off at some state land monday morning. The only things i took with me where my everyday truck bag and what i carry with me everyday.

Hiked about a mile in where I found a high spot close to the river. Most of it was wet and swampy due to the high water levels the last month or so. I liked this spot. It had easy access to the river without having to move through mud.

With easy access to water, my first priority was getting a shelter built. All in all it took me about 2 hours to build camp.

Here is a simple but effective debris shelter:

Next was food. On the hike in I found a Big Hawaiian punch jug in the woods. I picked it up thinking it may serve a purpose later. I had my canteen so I didnt need anything to store water in. Once I got to the river I decided to make the jug into a crawfish trap.

Take the jug and cut it around where the top "funnel part" meets the main jug body.

Take a few rocks and put in the jug. this will keep it on the bottom of the river.

Invert the funnel into the jug body, I used my knife to cut holes through the jug body and funnel and used para cord to secure it.

I dug around the base of a tree and found some worms as bate.

tie some para cord to it to secure it to shore

Look for some good structure around shore, ive had good luck where the bottoms a little muddy. Fill the jug with water and place where you want and tie off to a tree.

The crawfish will get into the jug through the hole and be trapped.

I boil for about 5 min after they turn red. tastes just like lobster:

I really should have checked the weather report before heading out, we had some pretty nasty thunderstorms roll through that night. But the shelter held up and kept me pretty dry. Also the cheap $1 rain poncho's from walmart are worth their weight in gold. They are small, dont take up a lot of room, and can be used for a lot of things.

Couple things I learned:

Glocks "kbar" style knife is a god send in the woods. Used it to cut down some branches, dig for worms ect. great tool.

Shamaghs are great. Used it as a towel, pre filter bigger particles out of water before purifying, and used it to keep the rain off the fire. and as a wind break.

Wish i could have spent more time out, but my daughter had her first softball game tonight that i couldnt miss.

Lots a fun

·
Administrator
7,045 Posts
Great post, Keith... Thanks for the pictures!

How often do you go out into the wilderness like this?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
a few times a year if I can. usually I bring more stuff with me if its a "camping" type trip. But once a year I like to get out and stay frosty on surving with the bare minimum. The only thing i took with me this time was my EDC bag i have in my truck, and what I had on me. didnt even have a coat or sweatshirt.

Im big on knowing what your capabale of. A lot of guys have "BOBs" and go bags but never put them to practical use. just like a gun, the time you need it isnt the time to figure out if your good with it.

This spot is about 3 miles (1 mile woods) 2 miles road from my parents house, so If things got to bad i could have humped out that night and made it to safety. It did get kinda harry there for a bit with the thunder and lightening, but i stuck through it.

Also as a saftey note, anytime i do this I leave GPS coordinates of rough estimate where im going to be, time of expected return, and time if i dont contact or return call the sherrifs department, with a friend just in case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.