Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the forums and to the gun world. I was wondering what the difference between practice ammo and the ammo you would use for otherwise. I would have thought ammo is ammo and they all serve the same purpose and there isn't much difference between practice ammo and other ammo. With the exception of hallow point bullets of course, they are a different.

Is it alright if I use practice ammo for self defense?

·
None
1,525 Posts
Hey all, new to the forums and to the gun world. I was wondering what the difference between practice ammo and the ammo you would use for otherwise. I would have thought ammo is ammo and they all serve the same purpose and there isn't much difference between practice ammo and other ammo. With the exception of hallow point bullets of course, they are a different.

There is a difference between practice ammo and quality self defense/carry grade ammo.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I'm no "expert" but I will share my .02 worth... Target ammo is generally FMJ (full metal jacket) rounds with a minimum load of powder. Upon impact, a FMJ bullet tends to keep it's shape and speed, giving more opportunity for the round to pass through the target and perhaps hit an unintended target, and also by not expanding the round delivers less energy to the target... less "knock down" power. Self defense ammo, generally is JHP, jacketed hollow point, and is often +p or +p+ loads, meaning more powder charge per round. This delivers mor energy to the target, and the JHP round flattens or expands upon impact delivering more "knock down" power and less chance of passing through and hitting someone or thing that is not you target.
You can use any ammo for self defense (I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of any ammo) but there is real and valid reason to use the better defense ammo for that purpose. Buy one box and keep a magazine full for that specific purpose. Buy what's on sale for practice... maybe some hot stuff sometimes just for fun!

Reactions: __jb

·
None
1,525 Posts
Would practice ammo be acceptable for self defense? If not, you can give some reasons please?
By practice ammo, I presume you are talking about full metal jacket stuff such as the UMC and Winchester stuff like you buy at Walmart or some of the commercial reloads.

The quality carry/defense ammo is going to be made of better components and have a jacketed hollow point bullet.

You can carry a FMJ if you wish, but it won't be as effective as a JHP round.

I'm sure somebody will come along pretty quick to post a much better explanation. I'm a little punchy at the moment from a long day on the range in the rain and a few hours in the car.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts

Hi Strangler--

Welcome to the forums. I can't imagine many people would ever answer your question and say "it's OK" because it depends on a lot of things:

-- what type of pistol do you have?
-- what type of "personal defense"? There are numerous scenarios. Concealed carry, home defense. Do you live in a large-acre farm or a large apartment complex? You'll have to consider your backstop (i.e. if no one else lives nearby or if you have a family of four across the drywall of your apartment).

I'm sure there are other issues but I'll throw in an additional $0.02. Personal defense ammo will cost you a lot more than practice/target ammo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply everyone.

I recently purchased a 4th gen Glock 23 .40 S&W. I intend to use this pistol for home defense and am living in an apartment complex at the moment. Even though it's for home defense I still plan to get a conceal weapon's permit sometime in the future. I have very little firearm experience/knowledge and am trying to learn more as it will take me some time to do so. I've used the M9 Baretta once and that was pretty much it for me.

Off topic: I read somewhere that lead bullet isn't good for your gun and I'm not sure why. I thought all bullets were made from lead.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Thanks for the reply everyone.

I recently purchased a 4th gen Glock 23 .40 S&W. I intend to use this pistol for home defense and am living in an apartment complex at the moment. Even though it's for home defense I still plan to get a conceal weapon's permit sometime in the future. I have very little firearm experience/knowledge and am trying to learn more as it will take me some time to do so. I've used the M9 Baretta once and that was pretty much it for me.

Off topic: I read somewhere that lead bullet isn't good for your gun and I'm not sure why. I thought all bullets were made from lead.
You're asking good questions, but they have potentially long answers based on different situations. I'll try to give you direct answers.

There are two reasons to choose a proper self defense ammunition over a standard, cheaper "range" ammunition. Self defense ammunition is usually of the hollowpoint type. The nose of the bullet is split so that it flies apart and turns into a rose-shaped projectile that will exert maximum energy on the target. In simple language that means two things... the bullet will do much more damage to an attacker than a simple bullet and it will also be stopped more easily by building walls. Hollowpoints are less likely to travel through an apartment or condominium wall and injure someone in an adjacent room.

Range ammunition is usually full metal jacket ot plated round nose, pointed bullets. The pointed bullets travel much faster than the expanding SD ammunition and can go straight through an attacker or a wall. Standard range ammo can often pass straight through a person without doing as much damage as a SD hollowpoint round. Range ammunition does not have as much stopping power as a self defense round of the same caliber. Range ammo can pass through appartment walls and injure someone in the next room or condo. Since you live in an apartment complex, you need to really consider this before you ever fire your weapon inside.

Lead bullets are not good for Glocks. Glocks use a special type of rifling in their barrels and the lead can build up on them after a while if you don't clean them properly and often.

Hope this helps...

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts

Found an image that might help you out...

The round on the left is a lead bullet... the round in the center is a full metal jacket round nose bullet (jacket over lead)... the round on the right is a self defense hollow point round.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.