1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Tragedies like this always remind us about the rules of safe gun handling. Based on the fact that the instructor is being charged, looks like he's being held to a much higher standard than other officers involved in similar incidents. I feel for everyone affected.

Thanks for the post

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
As a prosecutor myself, I have handled these types of cases and they are always the hardest. There are few instances in criminal law where someone with no intent to harm can be charged with a crime at all, and it makes it that much more difficult. In my jurisdiction that would probably have been considered criminal negligence rather than criminal recklessness and resulted in a misdemeanor charge. On one hand you must hold someone accountable for such negligence when handling firearms. On the other, the families almost universally don't understand why they aren't on trial for murder. They typically don't listen to reason and operate completely on emotion (not blaming them because that's a tough situation, just saying). And this is a prime example. The statement the family made can do nothing but cause harm to the situation and if they stop and think reasonably there is no way this is a manslaughter charge. As NWGlocker already said, this enforces the importance on following the rules of gun safety. It's usually not the newbies who have these accidents, but the experience shooter who gets lazy and too comfortable handling their guns. And that is a dangerous state to be in. I try to train myself to consciously think about the rules of safe gun handling every time I touch a gun so I don't get lax. And there but by the grace of God go I, and hopefully I never have a similar momentary lapse in judgment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts