Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a G30 and am either going to get a Lone Wolf threaded barrel with a M16 like flash hider for it, or a ported barrel. I am looking for some advice regarding which to go with. To me the ported barrel is simpler and looks good, but I like the idea of having a threaded barrel too. Looking for some advice here on which mod. is the better for shooting.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I would go with the ported barrel. Not as long easier to conceal. But I am assuming you mean something ported beyond the end of the slide and not something ported inside the slide. If that is the case then you have to have the slide modified for the porting.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
What exactly is your goal? What is your reason for either mod? Is this just for a range gun or would you actually carry the mod'd gun?

Re: ported barrels ... don't you need a relief cut in the slide as well? I would think so but really am not sure.

Re: threaded barrel ... are you planning to run a can on it?

Personally, I see no need/reason for either mod unless you actually plan to run a can ... then get a threaded bbl and be done. If you want one of these mods just because you want one ... then only you can decide which is "best".

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
What exactly is your goal? What is your reason for either mod? Is this just for a range gun or would you actually carry the mod'd gun?

Re: ported barrels ... don't you need a relief cut in the slide as well? I would think so but really am not sure.

Re: threaded barrel ... are you planning to run a can on it?

Personally, I see no need/reason for either mod unless you actually plan to run a can ... then get a threaded bbl and be done. If you want one of these mods just because you want one ... then only you can decide which is "best".
There are ported barrels out there that are ported beyond the end of the slide. I will try to find a picture of what I think the OP is talking about.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Here are some like what I think he is talking about. You will see how the barrel extends well beyond the end of the slide and the porting is between the end of the slide and the end of the muzzle.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=236

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Well if someone does want a "can" then 45acp is the way to go with it.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Well if someone does want a "can" then 45acp is the way to go with it.
I have one for a .22. It's a blast to shoot, allows me to shoot in the backyard without upsetting the neighbors, is a great training tool for young and/or new shooters with the low recoil and "almost" no sound to scare them, etc. etc.. Volgrad has had to use his to put down a wounded animal in his neighborhood without scaring everyone half to death around him. I am looking to get a can for my GLOCK 9mms. Again, it would be useful for all the same reason I mentioned above, and just plain fun.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I have one for a .22. It's a blast to shoot, allows me to shoot in the backyard without upsetting the neighbors, is a great training tool for young and/or new shooters with the low recoil and "almost" no sound to scare them, etc. etc.. Volgrad has had to use his to put down a wounded animal in his neighborhood without scaring everyone half to death around him. I am looking to get a can for my GLOCK 9mms. Again, it would be useful for all the same reason I mentioned above, and just plain fun.
Think you missed my point. Most 45acp is already subsonic. No need to load or look for special ammo for it.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
For anyone not aware for best results when using a "can" as people like to call it you should also use sub-sonic ammo. Here is a video showing the difference. The video doesn't really do a very good job showing the significant amount of noise difference between the two. It would have been better in something other than 308

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
This one is much better. It is some sub-sonic ammo I made for a buddy of mine that has a company that makes class 3 items. Among other things they make are suppressors. Or "cans" it is being done with 223.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Shooting standard .22 ammo through my 22s typically results in a sound like a pump air rifle. Running sub-sonic ammo through it lets you hear the action cycle instead of the round fire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.