Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been enjoying target shooting with a 22 Ruger for a while and thought I might get at 9mm for some target work. I know Glock recommends the 34 for target shooting, but has anyone actually strapped one down and measured the pattern size at say 25 meters? How does this compare with other 9mm such as the Ruger SR9 or various other makes?

Dr. J.:)

·
None
1,525 Posts
By pattern do you mean grouping? "Patterning" is typically used with shotguns to determine how shot will "pattern" at different distances. "Grouping" is typically used for rifles and pistols to determine how well multiple individual shots group together.

I have a G34 and have been impressed with it's accuracy; however, I have not directly compared it head to head with the SR9. I do know that I shoot it more accurately than the KP95DC that I used to have, but that isn't a fair comparison as the P95 and SR9 are so different. While it's actual inherent accuracy could be matched with a S&W 5906TSW that I used to have, I can more easily shoot the G34 for that accuracy, and the G34 is a less expensive pistol than is the TSW line based on new pistol prices.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm not aware of what kind of strapped down tests are out there. My take on this is: does it really matter?

I'm guessing you're asking about a gun's inherent precision-- can a strapped-down pistol put one bullet after another through the same hole at 25 yards? What about 100 yards? What if the SR-9 makes a 1/8" grouping and another gun makes a 1/16" group? Maybe if I put a "match grade" barrel in my Glock 17 I'd tighten my 50 yard group from 2 inches to 1 inch. This kind of precision might be more important for rifles, but for handguns? Well...

If you're focused on target shooting, you'll want a pistol that will have a longer distance between front and rear sights, so the 34 will be better than the SR9. There are so many other human (and cartridge) factors that determine how tight your groups will be, that I think a bench test comparing two guns should be one of the less important items when you're considering what to get.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I have not done it myself. But must admit that I prefer the G17 over the 34 anyday. I shoot it better, and faster. Just my opinion take it for what it cost you to get it.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have not done it myself. But must admit that I prefer the G17 over the 34 anyday. I shoot it better, and faster. Just my opinion take it for what it cost you to get it.
agreed.

the longer sight radius of the G34 takes me a little extra time to line up the sights for a followup shot. :)

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Thanks. I do mean "grouping". I'll get the words down right someday.

--Dr. J.
I wouldn't worry about it. We knew what you meant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts