Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I keep reading (not necessarily here) about all the naysayers regarding the .40 S&W reloads in a Glock. Is this a residual effect from the early unsupported .40 Glocks, or is there some merit to the "don't shoot .40 reloads or your hand will turn to vapor"? I am getting geared up to reload .40 for my 2009 model G27 (chamber is just as supported as any other .40 on the market) and I feel as though I will be fine as long as I'm not loading for max. My intent is to work up a consistent load using 180 gr. FMJ for range use. I appreciate any input you may have.

G-N-R

·
None
1,525 Posts
Well, I have no love for the .40SW in any platform. It's not just a Glock thing with me. :cool:

I just don't see where it brings anything that a quality 9mm doesn't do as well. If I need to go bigger, I go all the way to a .45 in either Colt, ACP, or GAP varieties.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Understood. I've always been a .45 guy myself and have never really warmed up to the 9mm, but the price of .45 ammo is higher than .40. I chose the .40 based on "nearly" .45 performance with slightly larger mag capacity without having to go to the 9mm (like I stated, I never really warmed up to) and it's right in between the two is ammo $. For me the .40 is plenty adequet for my intended purpose. That all said, the question isn't about which caliber is better than the other, it's about the .40 reload in a Glock.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
It is more of a problem of double charges or buying lead projectiles and using them without cleaning the gun REALLY regularly.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Well, I have no love for the .40SW in any platform. It's not just a Glock thing with me. :cool:

I just don't see where it brings anything that a quality 9mm doesn't do as well. If I need to go bigger, I go all the way to a .45 in either Colt, ACP, or GAP varieties.
This. I just don't like the caliber as it is too snappy and really doesn't gain you much, if anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm with Volgrad and jlweems on this one. I originally bought all .40s but just couldn't be proficient with them on follow up shots. The snappy .40s just caused me to be erratic in rapid fire target re-acquisition so I sold them all and went to 9mms. While I know the .40 is an effective round, I believe strongly that the modern defensive 9mm ammo is more than capable and it allows me to put follow up shots where I want them and much faster as well.

PS: I find the .45 GAP is just as easy to fire fast and accurate as 9mm.

·
None
1,525 Posts
I'm with Volgrad and jlweems on this one. I originally bought all .40s but just couldn't be proficient with them on follow up shots. The snappy .40s just caused me to be erratic in rapid fire target re-acquisition so I sold them all and went to 9mms. While I know the .40 is an effective round, I believe strongly that the modern defensive 9mm ammo is more than capable and it allows me to put follow up shots where I want them and much faster as well.

PS: I find the .45 GAP is just as easy to fire fast and accurate as 9mm.
Nice to see you've been paying attention. LOL

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used to have G23,G22 and HK USP. .40. I sold them all and settled with the Glocks in 9mm and .45ACP. I simply shoot these calibers better than the .40. I find the recoil of the .40 even more difficult to control than the .45ACP.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I love the .40 caliber round..

I started off with a .40 Baby Eagle. Nice gun.

Then I moved on to a G23 and then 27. Love them both.. Great rounds and I find myself being pretty accurate with them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really appreciate everyone's likes and dislikes regarding the .40, honest I do. However I'm not in the market for a .40, I already own it. I'm really just trying to gather some opinions about the safety of reloading for the caliber.

·
Registered
279 Posts
This. I just don't like the caliber as it is too snappy and really doesn't gain you much, if anything.
70% more energy with limited additional recoil is nothing? thats like inventing self-sustaining electricity... the round is faster, has less drop and hits 70% harder. jesus could walk on water next to that and i wouldnt even pay him any attention. lol

·
Registered
279 Posts
I really appreciate everyone's likes and dislikes regarding the .40, honest I do. However I'm not in the market for a .40, I already own it. I'm really just trying to gather some opinions about the safety of reloading for the caliber.
i know of guys that reload .40 S&W and i have shot them through my glock but they were also light half charges because they were loaded for competition.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I really don't care, one way or the other.

Now my wife, loves her HK USP 40. Shot an older SW and she didn't like it, but does love that HK.

I am not sure what I will buy next, another 19 (for my new trigger) or 23 or maybe a 38.

·
Registered
279 Posts
4 different guys shot a G19 and a G22 at my house yesterday. All four were more accurate with the 19 than the 22. There was no noticable recoil difference in the two to me.
hence why i chose the smaller 19/23 frame in .40 vs the 22. just fits my hand better. you cant compare a heavier larger gun to a smaller lighter one and then blame the caliber. and you felt no more recoil in the .40 for that reason. heavier longer barrel gun.

ill put the group size of my 23 up against anyone with any 9mm... bold words i know.. the first two rounds i ever shot in my G23 were a group size of 0.00 inches... because it was the exact same hole.. and i ended with a .5 or less inch group... at 7 yards..

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
4 different guys shot a G19 and a G22 at my house yesterday. All four were more accurate with the 19 than the 22. There was no noticable recoil difference in the two to me.
Interesting... Must be cool to be able to shoot in your back yard!

Welcome to the Glock.pro forums!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. Alot of useful information here. I have 20 acres in the woods. I have a ruger LCP 380 for carry, a ruger 22/45 bull barrel 22 cal. pistol for plinking, and the Glock 19 for Home defense. My favorite weapon is my Gamo Socom Carbine .177 cal Air rifle. I have killed at least 100 squirrels, mostly headshots with it. It is deadly accurate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.