Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The case of a New Jersey man who is serving seven years in prison for possessing two locked and unloaded handguns he purchased legally in Colorado is a perfect example of how a law-abiding citizen can unwittingly become a criminal due to vastly differing gun laws among the states, gun rights experts say.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/0...gun-laws-relatives-experts-say/#ixzz171YuVYCo

there's a movement to petition the governor to free this poor guy from prison:

Free Brian Aitken Rally

BRING BRIAN HOME BEFORE CHRISTMAS
The New Jersey Second Amendment Society
will be holding a rally to raise awareness of Brian Aitken's Situation.

The rally will be held on Sunday December 12, 2010
at the American Legion Post 129
on 2025 Church Road in Toms River, NJ

The event will begin at 2:00pm
Our goal is to petition Governor Christie to grant Brian Clemency
and release him to his family before Christmas.

Scheduled to appear:
NJ101.5 Radio Personality Dennis Malloy
Pro Second Amendment Attorney and Author Evan Nappen
Assemblyman Michael Patrick Carroll
Assembywoman Allison Littel McHose
and many others.
Bring signs in support of Brian Aitken and the RTKBA
This is your chance to support a very worthy cause.

http://www.nj2as.com/

·
Registered
431 Posts
What a bunch of BS, I want to believe that if you are a good person and really try to follow the laws of our land, this type of BS should not happen. Another reason not to go to NJ.

He should of said he was going to visit a gun range that day, what is the law that covers this for transporting guns?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
From what I read, the guy has not been completely truthful in defending his actions. But, the heavy handed enforcement could be seen as contributing to him being less than honest.... There sure seems to be a disconnect between the spirit of the law and the enforcement by the letter in this case.

·
None
1,525 Posts
That article leaves out a lot of pertinent information such as how access to the car was gained for the search. Was it consent? Warrant? Officer just did it? Is the search being challenged? How is residency defined in NJ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I first learned of this story from the front page of http://www.NRA.org. The first paragraph is a little more informative;

The story of Brian Aitken, the 27-year-old currently serving a seven-year prison sentence in New Jersey for the "crime" of having his legally owned firearms locked up and unloaded in the trunk of his car, has garnered a lot of mainstream media attention over the past few days, and rightfully so. His story is incredible, from the judge who refused to let Brian's jury hear about exemptions in New Jersey's draconian gun laws that allowed him to legally transport his firearms while moving, to the fact that Aitken checked with the New Jersey State Police before moving specifically to ensure that he would be in compliance with state law, to the pathetic argument offered by Ceasefire NJ's Bryan Miller that Aitken must be lacking in "common sense."

"Common sense" doesn't seem to be the priority of this Jersey court!...

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Seems like a pretty cool Governor... He didn't beat around the bush... Told them he'd decide before Christmas...

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Seems like a pretty cool Governor... He didn't beat around the bush... Told them he'd decide before Christmas...
Having seen quite a few videos of him, it's clear that he has no problem letting his feelings and beliefs known. He's doing a lot for his area, and it's refreshing to see something like that.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I really like listening to Judge Napolitano... He has a very clear understanding of issues he sets his mind to, and communicates clearly and economically.... especially for a TV talking head! Even in the interview, there is some, I believe" untruth being used. The notion that Brian was in the process of "moving" is a stretch. Does that warrant 7 years at a cost of @$500,000 to the taxpayers of a near bankrupt state?

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
I didn't realize his mother called 911 on him, but... It would be stressful to be denied access to your son.

Did you notice the mother and father were sitting at different ends of the table... Probably a little tension there...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.