Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, Folks,
I am a new G17 owner. The gun is used but I only have less than a week of experience with it. Yesterday, I did a "detail strip/clean" of my G17 following some YouTube clips. After I put everything back together, I noticed that every time I pull the slide back, the slide stop always engages. Is this normal? I remember that before I took the gun apart, the slide only engages when there is a magazine inserted. I am new and I am not sure if I might have reassembled the gun incorrectly in some way. Right now, I can't "rack the slide" as I have done before. TIA.

Regards,

Alan

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
It should only lock back with an empty mag in it. Or if you push the slide lock. Sounds like you reassembled it incorrectly. I couldnt really tell you what youve done wrong without seeing the pistol in person. Sorry

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
You put the slide lever release in wrong. Take the slide lever release back out and do this. Put the slide lock pin back in first. Looking at the side of the pistol the are two pins located above the trigger. The slide lock pin is the top one. next get the trigger pin started. This is the pin that runs through the trigger and slide lever release. Get everything lined up and push it on in. Make sure the spring on the slide lever release (it is silver) goes under the top pin and pushes up against it. (This is what makes the lever work) Test the lever by flicking it up and down. It should have tension on it. Put the gun back together and test. This should fix your problem

Reactions: Rob

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.
I don't have the gun in front of me at this moment, but I think I only have ONE pin above the trigger. Does it make any difference?
That is possible and yes it does. If you check later and it has only one pin let me know and I will tell you how to fix it. I will let you make sure first before I type all that out again. I know I am getting lazy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sfguard,
Thanks again. My G17, which matches the following exploded parts view, only has two pins - Part#28 Trigger bar and Part#29 Trigger housing pin.

It doesn't have Part#34 as shown in the left bottom corner insert.

I think the reason that the slide release lever always engages every time I pull the slide back, with or without an empty magazine, is because the little spring on the lever is either not tensioned or tensioned at the wrong way. Thanks for your advice.

Best Regards,

Alan

·
Registered
334 Posts
got the spring above the pin instead of below the pin ..... needs to be under.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Ok, on the single pin the spring should be resting against the bottom of the locking block. I have a single pin and will try to get a decent picture of it. Hang on my photography isn't the best in the world.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Ok, here is the best pics and editing that I can do. Like I said I am not a photographer. The first pic just shows what the inside should look like. The next two I have the areas circled that you should be paying attention to.

From the mag well side of the weapon

From the front of the weapon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thank You!

Thank you so much for those pictures you took. Although my G17 doesn't look exactly like what your pictures show, they did provide me a good clue of what I did wrong - The little spring on the Slide Stop Lever (Part#27) should be slightly compressed against the angled Locking Block wall when it is inserted into the Locking Block (Part#22).

Here are some photos:

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Glad I could help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.