Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a retired policeman. I started out with a S&W model 10 bull barrel 38 and finished up with a Sig 220 45. I bought a Glock 19 a couple of weeks ago because I have my annual qualification coming up and the TQC is sure not designed for a DA/SA sidearm--it is designed for DAO weapons. I like the Glock very much but it continues to periodically jam even after 300+ rounds and thorough cleanings/lubrications every 100 rounds or so. Is that a warranty item and if I send the gun to Glock, is the turn-around very long? (I never had a problem with a Sig, not once, so I've never sent a gun in for warranty work.) My problem must not be common or Glock would not be the most popular law enforcement sidearm in the US! Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I would say that there is something else at play. Are you saying that after you have fired 300 rounds at one time, you start having issues, and this happens every time you fire that many rounds or did I misunderstand your post? Is it always the same mag that has issues or is it multiple magazines?

After that, I would look at your grip. This of course is not meant as a negative comment but many revolver shooters have an issue when swapping over to the GLOCK and malfunctions are actually caused by limp wrist'ing the firearm. When you say JAM, what is it doing? Is it not ejecting the spent casing, a common sign of limp wristing.

Also, did you buy this new? What generation GLOCK is it? Some of the early Gen 4 GLOCKs had issues with the recoil spring assembly which GLOCK has made a replacement RSA to resolve the issue. It generally happened with the lighter powered ammo.

Let us know a few more details and maybe we can save you a trip/time to sending the firearm back to GLOCK.

Also, welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of GLOCKS!

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Welcome to the forum Robert! Thanks for joining up. Hope we can help you figure out your issue.

You say that it malfunctions every 300 rnds or so.. so maybe each outing? Could it be your cleaning method? Glocks don't like as much lubrication as other manufacturers' guns... hardly any in fact. There are some good posts on proper Glock lubrication on here.. lemme see if i can find one for ya.

Edit: found one!
http://glock.pro/showthread.php/774-Here-s-how-to-lube-a-GLOCK-pistol-...

Good luck!

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for replying. I should have been clearer. I meant that the gun has had a total of about 300 rounds through it. I've cleaned it three times. On a couple of occasions the slide has not stayed open after the last round was fired. But the jams I'm talking about are when the round gets caught on the feed ramp, pointing upward at about a 45 degree angle. I bought the gun (4th generation) new just a couple of weeks ago from a large volume dealer so I doubt it was an earlly one but I don't know for sure. I don't think I was limp wristing but I may have been. In fact, I hope maybe I was because I don't want it to be the gun's fault-it's a really comfortable gun to carry concealed, feels great in my hand, and appears to be accurate.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
If you do have the older recoil spring assembly, try the FREE one from GLOCK before you spend money and try to adapt something else to work.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
What is the marking on your recoil spring? If it is marked "03" call Glock customer service and they will mail you a couple of the new "04" springs at no charge. In the meantime, try some 124 +p or 124 NATO ammo and your issue should go away. I have a gen 4 G17 and had some early issues, but I've now got the latest spring for it and all the issues are in the past... The stiffer spring will work with "more energetic" ammo....

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
What is the marking on your recoil spring? If it is marked "03" call Glock customer service and they will mail you a couple of the new "04" springs at no charge. In the meantime, try some 124 +p or 124 NATO ammo and your issue should go away. I have a gen 4 G17 and had some early issues, but I've now got the latest spring for it and all the issues are in the past... The stiffer spring will work with "more energetic" ammo....
+1. Probably needs the 04 spring if your are firing 115 grain ammo. And welcome to Glock.Pro, RobertM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts