Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:
New to this world.

I have decided that the Glock is the way to go for IDPA and settled on the 17. Right now I have a SIG Sauer P226 Equinox in .40 and a M&P 9. I find the SIG very accurate but that DA/SA combined with a high bore axis and the .40's recoil, it is holding me back. I compete against a friend with a G34 tricked out with after market trigger parts, and I hold my mine, sometimes beating him, sometimes not. I added the Wolff 18lb mainspring, Hogues and shorter trigger and it helps.

So here is the scenario..... I am waiting for a shipment of G17 Gen 4s to come north of the 49th to my local shop. I have spent weeks reading forums, watching you tube videos and talking to the gun store, ahem, "experts". Will a new G17 Gen 4 arriving soon have that revised recoil spring. (i.e. lower weight and recessed front)? If not, I won't sweat it as the reported issues may not occur with mine.

As for possible future modifications, I have thought of a 3.5 Ghost connector, TruGlo sights and maybe an after market plunger (polished and beveled) Not sure the value of the plunger, but I have read some feedback that it helps. Of course it all may stay stock depending on how it works out. Thanks.:)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Welcome!

It might have the new spring, might not. You'd just have to ask the guys at the store to field strip it for you and let you take a look. There are actually 2 different springs for 2 different slides.

The early production slides didn't have a recess for the spring itself AND they didn't have a bevel on the exterior of the guide rod hole, so the original guide rod could become misaligned and lock the slide in position. The guide rod for those slides, designed to alleviate that problem, has a metal collar at the front of it and the numbers "021" on the metal base of the guide rod.

The newest slides DO have the "counter-bore" and bevel, so the guide rod used for them has no metal collar at the front and has "02" on the metal base.

Counter-bore: http://media.photobucket.com/image/glock gen4 bevel/gotm4/556pics/slides.jpg
Bevel: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4138/4868604041_e0461dd35c_z.jpg
021 "collar" guide rod: http://media.photobucket.com/image/glock gen4 021 guide rod/zoti/bde63726.jpg
Gen4 Guide Rod Chart: http://www.plaatjesupload.nl/bekijk/2011/01/21/1295591379-860.jpg

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Voyager. I printed of the picture of various spring assemblies and will take it to the store with me. I hope they have the latest and greatest in stock. First IDPA match is in March and hope to have it by then. Nothing like running around in the snow in sub zero temps.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks Voyager. I printed of the picture of various spring assemblies and will take it to the store with me. I hope they have the latest and greatest in stock. First IDPA match is in March and hope to have it by then. Nothing like running around in the snow in sub zero temps.
Welcome to the forum, but I thought you were in Alberta, not Coloradof! We've had way too many sub-zero's this year. Good luck on the Glock

·
Super Moderator
7,037 Posts
Welcome to the Glock.pro forums!

Voyager has all the recoil spring assembly information for you, so you are good to go... Your 17 could come from a distributor that's had it for a while, so it might have an old RSA... If so, just call Glock and they'll mail you a new one for free...

If you mainly want to shoot IDPA, why not get a Glock 34?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The G34 is a great gun for the IDPA game, but I wanted to keep it more true to the SSP category. I have never seen a G34 outside of competition. No knock against those who use them, but I don't see them as a true service pistol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.