Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does it all mean? I can't find something saying what it means, how points are picked up, or what they mean:confused:. Can I win a new car or something(LOL)?

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
I was wondering the same thing... If you look at the menu bar at the top of each page, you'll see a new item called "Experience" to the right of the "Forum" link. Click it and many, many other tabs show up.

It looks like a new vBulletin add-on that replaces the old Reputation system.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok clear as mud now thanks

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
As we grow - and hopefully add advertisers, we'll be able to afford to give you guys prizes for points you get.. for now though it's just a race to see who can get the most points ;)

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No fair you had a head start. LOL

·
Registered
334 Posts
How are reputation points calculated and what is the reputation system and how do you use it?

·
Registered
334 Posts
the problem with rewarding post counts is you'll get people that will be posting not to add to the topic but posting just to get points.
Kinda like what you just did ... :p

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Just added a couple custom profile fields.. Glock Armorer? and Glocks Owned. Check out your settings (top right link) to put in your answers and it'll show up with every post.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
I understand reputation points and reputation power pretty well. The vBulletin reputation scheme is usually a pretty good way to judge people's ability and "Reputation" on the main subject of a web forum.

Rep Power - Reputation Power is the amount of reputation points you can give someone by clicking the "Add to this user's reputation" star at the bottom of every message... Reputation Power is usually 10% of the total reputation points that a user has.

Rep Points - Reputation points is the sum of all the reputation points you have been given. So, if Bob's Rep Power is 10, and he gives it to you... and Sam's rep power is 15, and he gives it to you, you would have 25 rep points and a rep power of 2 using my 10% scheme above. (You can't give a half a rep point.)

The problem here on the Glock Forums is that no one has enough reputation points to get the reputation scheme going. I have tried to give rep points to several people, but I don't have enough rep power to give any to anyone. Most of us just have one point or less of rep power.

My suggestion for using the reputation scheme would be for at least Rob to seed himself with enough rep power so that he could start making a difference be giving people rep points. Alternately Rob could seed a couple of other users, too... maybe give them a smaller number of points. The forum is small now and we all know who deserves extra reputation points.

Reactions: Rob

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
The "Experience" system of recognizing user participation is a bit different than the "Reputation" system. The experience system seems to reward participation and not be designed to indicate reputation power or someone's skill level.

I have not seen the experience system before. Maybe it is something new for vBulletin version 4.0+. I originally thought the experience system was designed to replace the reputation system, but I don't think it is. They do two different things.

I think the experience system is designed to get users involved on a new web forum... they get balls and icons and awards for just posting... what's not to like???

If you want to see what generates experience points, click the "Experience" tab on the main forum menu bar, and then click the "Earn Points" tab. You'll see exactly what generates experience points. You can see that most items are geared more towards participation and not skill levels...

Hope this clears things up a bit...

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
My suggestion for using the reputation scheme would be for at least Rob to seed himself with enough rep power so that he could start making a difference be giving people rep points. Alternately Rob could seed a couple of other users, too... maybe give them a smaller number of points. The forum is small now and we all know who deserves extra reputation points.
Sooo.. I just changed your reputation from 41 to 410.. and level from 1 to 5.

Rep up some ppl! :)

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Sooo.. I just changed your reputation from 41 to 410.. and level from 1 to 5.

Rep up some ppl! :)
OK...

I tried adding rep to a few posts...

Apparently the "Did you find this post helpful?" links stop you from giving rep to a post. They must be tied into the reputation system somehow.

I will stop using the "Did you find this post helpful?" links and start using the normal reputation stars from now on...

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Yes, I believe the helpful mod is tied in.. your helpful vote 'should' give more rep points than if I were to say something is helpful tho I believe.. I'll look into it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.