Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a shooter/gun owner for about 10 years, got into it in my mid-20's, but I had a lot of firsts for me today. I've never bought a used gun, never bought anything off gunbroker, never restored a gun, and never owned anything "old". All of that changed today. I bought a CZ 83 in 380 acp on gunbroker. Originally I had wanted a CZ 82 in 9x18 Mak, but considering the 380 is still a popular cartridge I figured ammo would be easier to find for the 83. From the looks of it the gun appears to have been made in the mid to late 80's. It is marked 'made in Czechoslovakia' rather than Czech Republic. It also has the round trigger guard rather than the squared one. It is in relatively good shape based on the pics on gunbroker, but I guess I won't know for sure until I take possession. Price was $219, but shipping and transfer fee will add to it. My plan is to assess the condition if the gun, deem what needs to be replaced, and eventually have it professionally refinished. Anyone have any experience with the CZ 82/83? Any advice would be appreciated, either on the gun or restorations in general. I'll post some pics after I pick it up.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Cool find, can't wait to see the pics ...

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
That is a pretty cool find. I have been thinking about getting a Makarov, but a little Googling shows that the CZ 82 seems to be somewhat similar to the Makarov, although probably with better fit and finish. Interestingly, the 82/83 have a polygonal barrel..just like Glock! CZ discontinued the 83 in 2012, probably still shedding themselves of remnants of their Communist past. Here is a link to an article the discusses this pistol and its relationship to the Makarov: http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/chex/cz-82-83-e.html

If your CZ is in reasonably good shape, you might consider not restoring it: the value of an original unrestored gun is sometimes higher. Just a thought.

CZ 82 Photo

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation

Makarov Photo

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a pretty cool find. I have been thinking about getting a Makarov, but a little Googling shows that the CZ 82 seems to be somewhat similar to the Makarov, although probably with better fit and finish. Interestingly, the 82/83 have a polygonal barrel..just like Glock! CZ discontinued the 83 in 2012, probably still shedding themselves of remnants of their Communist past. Here is a link to an article the discusses this pistol and its relationship to the Makarov: http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/chex/cz-82-83-e.html

If your CZ is in reasonably good shape, you might consider not restoring it: the value of an original unrestored gun is sometimes higher. Just a thought.

Chris
It looks like its in fairly good shape from the pictures. This is a description of the item description from Gunbroker: "Excellent bore. Has finish wear, 90% remains. Has grip wear"

Some pictures from Gunbroker:

The CZ 82/83 is virtually the same gun, with the 82 being issued to military and police and the 83 for civilian market. Most parts are interchangeable. The 82 was only chambered for 9x18 Mak where the 83 was chambered in 9x18 (although not many from my understanding), 9mm Browning (380 acp), and 32 auto. Only the 9x18 chambered guns came with polygonal rifling, the rest had traditional lands and grooves. Sin the CZ 83 was only discontinued last year parts are still available direct from CZ as well as other parts suppliers.

The CZ 82/83 is very similar to the Makarov, but the CZ is generally regarded as a more refined pistol with better fit and finish. Both are direct blowback and take down exactly the same. The CZ has a double stack magazine with a 12 or 13 round capacity, where the Makarov is an 8 round single stack.

I'm really excited to get this pistol. They have a reputation for having good triggers and being very accurate little guns. For the price it was hard to pass up on a CZ from the Communist Bloc era.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
You'd be amazed what a good long soak (a couple of days) in Kroil and a good rub down with #0000 steel wool soaked in gun oil will do to an old gun (only the metal parts of course). Plus a 90% rated gun is in pretty good shape to begin with so the oil bath and wool buff will preserve all that's there. It's a good way to "get to know" the gun by completely tearing it down for it's oil bath.

Congrats on the auction win... Be sure to post before and after pics...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Gunbroker says it has grip wear, but none of the photos show the full grip. That would make me just a little nervous. Other than that, it looks really nice. Good luck with it!

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Caution: be careful using modern spray solvents on older plastic grips. I used some spray gun cleaning solvent (not the polymer-friendly version) and pretty well trashed a set of grips on a Walther PPK. The grips were not replaceable.

Arrrgghh.

Chris

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Congrats on your find! As a side note: Everyone dealing with GunBroker should remember that any thing sold on the site
is described by the seller. You can check the feedback on every seller. I have found that every seller I have dealt with does
not want to jeopardize their reputation on the auction. The items I have bought there are usually "better" than described.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The grips don't concern me too much since CZ offers factory replacement grips for around $20 and there are a number of aftermarket grip options as well. Plus the seller is rated A+ so his description is probably accurate. Once I take possession I can assess what needs to be replaced, and what can be cleaned up. The good thing is most if the parts are still available from CZ, so restoring/repairing it shouldn't be too difficult. The intent is for it to be a nice addition to the safe and occasional range toy. Definitely isn't a carry gun or an investment. I just have to try to not let my OCD take over the project like it normally does.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
***** UPDATE TO THE CZ83 *****

Ok, so it been a while since I posted about the CZ83 because the process in getting it was kind of a pain. It had been about 2 weeks or so since my payment and FFL info was finalized with the seller on Gunbroker and I hadn't heard anything from the seller or my FFL. Then, i get a call from an FFL in Washington State (I live in Michigan) who says he has my CZ. Apparently it was shipped to the wrong dealer :mad:. After another week my FFL finally called and I took possession of the gun. Overall experience with the seller (an FFL) was extremely poor. Upon initial inspection it was about what I expected. Some light finish wear and the grips were in rough shape. I took it home and gave it a good soak in Ballistol. The barrel was filthy, but cleaned up bright and shiny, all rifling still intact. I also scrubbed it with a stiff nylon brush inside and out and this is when disappointment set in. Rust :mad:. Nothing too bad, almost like surface rust under the finish, especially in the slide serrations and roll marks. Its nothing that can't be fixed, but more on that in a bit. After I got it all cleaned I had to shoot it. This is where it gets better. A lot better.

What a shooter! I put 100 rounds of .380 ACP commercial reloads through it with not a single problem. This gun is extremely accurate, has almost zero recoil, and a very nice trigger. I may have shot this gun better than I shoot my Glocks, and this was just my first 100 rounds though it. To say I was pleased with my first range session is an understatement. I walked off the firing line with a grin ear to ear, but after I got home and cleaned it all I could see was the finish, and the rust brown on my rag after I wiped down the slide. My OCD won't let it be.

Tomorrow I have an appointment at a firearms refinisher who is an artist in nickel plating and KG Gunkote. I am getting it media blasted and coated but I'm still undecided on color. The colors I would consider are black, stainless, and dark earth. Initially I thought all black, but after looking at some pictures online the two-tone 83's look quite nice. I'm thinking of A) all black, B) stainless slide and barrel with black frame and grips, C) dark earth slide and grips with black frame and barrel, or D) all stainless with some nice wood grips. I think I'm still leaning towards all black. All stainless with wood grips looks great but the wood grips would add another $75-$100 to the project. I also ordered from CZ new recoil, hammer, firing pin, extractor, magazine and slide stop springs as well as a new set of factory grips and an extra factory 12 rd mag. Total cost of restoration will be almost double what I planned considering the cost to refinish, but this one is a keeper and worth doing right. When its finished I'll post some pictures.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Well that post sure was a roller-coaster!
First irritation, then disappointment...wait...JOY!!
Thanks for the update, looking forward to the pics after the refinish.

-my color choice would be either black, black or maybe black...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Glad it all worked out. I love CZ's but I can't reach the trigger on the DA pull. I have to have the hammer back for SA. Very accurate and a good looking pistol.
Have fun and looking forward to some pictures.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dropped my CZ 83 off and went over the work I wanted done. Ended up going all black. I think that is the way this gun was meant to be and looks the best. He was impressed with how good the condition was and said media blast will take care of anything on the finish. Hoping to have it done by Christmas but he is super busy so that may not happen. I'm in no hurry, the holidays will keep me plenty busy and I have enough guns to keep my trigger finger from getting itchy. Plus it will give me time to get some .380 together.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I dropped my CZ 83 off and went over the work I wanted done. Ended up going all black. I think that is the way this gun was meant to be and looks the best. He was impressed with how good the condition was and said media blast will take care of anything on the finish. Hoping to have it done by Christmas but he is super busy so that may not happen. I'm in no hurry, the holidays will keep me plenty busy and I have enough guns to keep my trigger finger from getting itchy. Plus it will give me time to get some .380 together.
Sounds good, I am sure others are with me when I say looking forward to end result!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Caution: be careful using modern spray solvents on older plastic grips. I used some spray gun cleaning solvent (not the polymer-friendly version) and pretty well trashed a set of grips on a Walther PPK. The grips were not replaceable.

Arrrgghh.

Chris
Interesting side note from when I picked the CZ 83 up from my FFL... There was a another guy there doing paperwork on a purchase at the same time as me. His gun sat on the counter next to me in the original brown cardboard box it came in, a West German made PPK circa 1970's. It was blued and I would say was 95%. Very nice example if an iconic pistol. He said he came in looking for a shotgun and saw it sitting in the case. He paid $550 for it and given the craftsmanship and condition I'd say that was not too bad. It made me want one. Like most 007 fans it's purely for collectible reasons, but he was buying a holster to carry it. Not sure I would add holster wear to a gun that old and in that condition, but to each their own. Anyway, I saw your post and it reminded me of this story. PPK. Walther PPK.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just an update on the CZ83. Still no word. Initial estimate was 6-8 weeks, and after 5 weeks it seems like forever. Patience was never my strong suit.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Just an update on the CZ83. Still no word. Initial estimate was 6-8 weeks, and after 5 weeks it seems like forever. Patience was never my strong suit.
Mine either. Hang in there, i'm sure it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After 2 months of waiting I got the call...my CZ is finished. Going to pick it up in an hour.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts