Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, as you can see I am a newbee without any experience about any type of guns. However, I have been to the Gun show in Ft lauderdale and also the one in West Palm Bch, Florida. I have been trying to get information on mainly the Glock 19 gen 3 and the gen 4. I have sent in my application to GSSF about 3 weeks ago and is yet to receive any package. Anyway, I had called and confirmed that my application had been received.
I have watched dozens of youtube videos by many of the posters including Hickock45 and so forth.
I have really been contemplating getting the gen 4, but have seen so many negatives about it on youtube and on the forums etc. My main reason is I wear a size small to Medium gloves, thus, my hands are not big. As such, I thought the new gen 4 would be more suitable for my hands. Anyway, I have held both at the gun shows, and have come to like the texture of the gen 3, the hand fit is not bad, but I am still leaning towards the gen 4 due to the slight advantage in smaller grip. I also like the magazine release etc. However, I am also thinking of reliability and cost of ownership etc. I do have a CW permit and buying a gun would not be a problem.

I have not seen many new postings about the new spring issues that were supposed to have sorted out the problems with the gen 4. I gather its the 04 spring (replacement) vs the original 03 spring.
The ammo issues with the lighter grain had seem to be a big issue with many gen 4 owners and I was wondering if this has been resolved.
Please advise me what do you think would be my best bet, should I wait for awhile more or should I go with the gen 4? Could anyone tell me how to recognize a gen 4 that was just recently released. Also if anyone know where to get one around the Pompano Beach, Margate, Coral Springs, Boca, Coconut Crk, or any area in Ft Lauderdale etc. Looking for a reputable dealer that will accept GSSF member.

I know that this is a long post, but I want to give as much information as may be helpful to get some good results.
One more thing, where can I get some good instruction on gun handling etc. for a newbee. I have been thinking of taking a NRA course or something like that, however, I cannot afford to go overboard with cost etc.
Also thinking that I should get the night sight installed at the same time. Should I get the trijicon or the Glock night sight?

Thanks very much for all the help you can render.

glocktor:confused:

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Hi all, as you can see I am a newbee without any experience about any type of guns. However, I have been to the Gun show in Ft lauderdale and also the one in West Palm Bch, Florida. I have been trying to get information on mainly the Glock 19 gen 3 and the gen 4. I have sent in my application to GSSF about 3 weeks ago and is yet to receive any package. Anyway, I had called and confirmed that my application had been received. I have watched dozens of youtube videos by many of the posters including Hickock45 and so forth.
Glock's 19 is a great gun... Many of us on Glock.pro have one.

It takes a while to get your GSSF stuff from Glock.

Hickock45 is a great shot... He's almost as good a shot as Don Glock... and that's saying something... :)

I have really been contemplating getting the gen 4, but have seen so many negatives about it on youtube and on the forums etc. My main reason is I wear a size small to Medium gloves, thus, my hands are not big. As such, I thought the new gen 4 would be more suitable for my hands. Anyway, I have held both at the gun shows, and have come to like the texture of the gen 3, the hand fit is not bad, but I am still leaning towards the gen 4 due to the slight advantage in smaller grip. I also like the magazine release etc. However, I am also thinking of reliability and cost of ownership etc. I do have a CW permit and buying a gun would not be a problem.
I have a 4th generation Glock 19 and love it... There is a very small, but vocal crowd that likes to dis the 4th generation Glocks... I have two of them and love them...

I have not seen many new postings about the new spring issues that were supposed to have sorted out the problems with the gen 4. I gather its the 04 spring (replacement) vs the original 03 spring.
The ammo issues with the lighter grain had seem to be a big issue with many gen 4 owners and I was wondering if this has been resolved.
Please advise me what do you think would be my best bet, should I wait for awhile more or should I go with the gen 4? Could anyone tell me how to recognize a gen 4 that was just recently released. Also if anyone know where to get one around the Pompano Beach, Margate, Coral Springs, Boca, Coconut Crk, or any area in Ft Lauderdale etc. Looking for a reputable dealer that will accept GSSF member.
I've shot several hundred rounds through my 4th generation Glock 19, all with the original "03" recoil spring assembly. I had one failure to eject when I shot it the first time, but it has never failed since then. I recommend buying a couple of boxes of 124gr ammo to shoot when you first get it. I shoot American Eagle 124gr FMJ and none of my Glocks have ever failed shooting it... I've shot a bunch of Winchester White Box ammo in my 19, too.

I just received an "04" spring for my 4th gen 19. I haven't put it in yet, but I plan to after the holidays. My 19 shoots fine with the original "03" spring, but it can't hurt to swap in the new spring.

Suncoast Gun Show puts on shows in Ft. Lauderdale:

http://suncoastgunshows.com/gun_shows/ft_lauderdale_gun_show.htm

The vendors at the show are very competitive and sell at very good prices. Shoot Straight has a large area at all of the Suncoast gun shows... They are one of the best buys available without some kind of discount. Ask them what their best price is.

I know that this is a long post, but I want to give as much information as may be helpful to get some good results.
One more thing, where can I get some good instruction on gun handling etc. for a newbee. I have been thinking of taking a NRA course or something like that, however, I cannot afford to go overboard with cost etc.
You might check for training classes with some of the gun shops in your area... Maybe Google to see if there are any gun clubs, ranges, or training centers...

Also thinking that I should get the night sight installed at the same time. Should I get the trijicon or the Glock night sight?
I like AmeriGlo night sights... They make a wide variety of quality sights and are also a Glock.pro sponsor... Here's their link:

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock

Thanks very much for all the help you can render.

glocktor:confused:
You're welcome...

That's what we're here for...

Reactions: Rob

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome to the forum... I understand your issues... I struggled with this as well.. I have a G26 (Gen 3) which I like very much. Then, I went for a G17 and I had a good understanding about the Gen 4 updates.. I know that a launch of a new model has its bumps and seen the fact that the Gen 3 is of a "proven" Quality, I decide to go with Gen 3.. I had both Gen's in my hand and felt more comfortable with the Gen 3 styling.. The recoil spring is another issue which in my opinion is till going through a launching curve.. So it will get straightened out but it will take some time..

Enjoy ..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for your replies : Don Glock, USAntigoon, and __jb.
__jb, I have attended the last Suncoast Gun Show that was at Ft Lauderdale. I appreciate your detailed answers and suggestions. I picked up a box of "Speer Gold Dot" 9mm/ 147 gr. Paid $30 for a box of 50. I have heard that these were good for personal carry. What do you think? I will try to get some of the American Eagle 124gr FMJ, too. I also picked up a Remora IWB holster. "http://www.remoraholsters.com/"

Did anyone feel the difference, if there is, between the gen 3 and gen 4 recoil?

Thanks again,

glocktor

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Welcome to Glock.Pro.

I could very easily repeat everything __jb said. I also have small hands and the Gen4, 19 is a great fit for me. I have the 04 spring, but am still using
the 03 spring, with no problems after firing the first couple of magazines.

You can't go wrong with Speer Gold Dots.

Keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I agree with most everything in JB's post .... almost.

My only discrepancy is with the 03 spring. I have a Gen4 G19 out of the very first batch Ed's Public Safety received. They are kind of a big deal in the GLOCK/GSSF world and get things early/first and sell a ton of guns.

Anyway, I have shot mine on the range a good bit and in one GSSF match. I had one malf during a GSSF match but figured it was user induced. I didn't think my 03 spring was bad until attempting to run the gun in a class yesterday. I had two guns I wanted to "test". I ran the first gun (a Gen3 G17 chopped to accept G19 mags) until lunch without issue. I switched to the Gen4 G19 after lunch and switched back to the G17 within an hour or so. I had at least 6 malfs. Unfortunately, I don't have an exact count and can't say exactly what happened as they occurred during some high speed drills. I cleared them and kept shooting rather than let it slow me down. I figured that was what class was for, right? To get reps with situations like that.

After the class I was discussing the issues with one of the instructors and he had an 04 spring in his bag. He gave it to me to see if that fixed my issue. I am confident it will but won't have a chance to run the gun for a while with the holidays quickly upon us.

Other than the spring issue .... I like the Gen4 guns better than the Gen3. Personally, I wish they would have left the spring assembly alone. It's not like GLOCKs needed recoil reduction. What I love is the frame sizing, the new texture, the mag release, etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
@ glocktorI have the "Trijicon" nigh sights and honestly I consider this as a must have.... I went one step further and installed the LaserMax as well.(both on the G26)
My next step, on my G17, might be to install the "Trijicon" Red Dot RMR, but here the slide has to be milled down..
Anyway enjoy ...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Rowdie, thanks for the reply. How do you like the Trijicon Night Sights?
They are great sights, however I have not had the need to use them at night!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Glocks:

Buy the latest model!

Glock builds them better and better!

More expensive guns out theire!

But none better or faster at stopping the bad guy!

Glocks are built to keep you alive!

Others ore made for show and tell!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I agree with most everything in Don Glock's post .... almost.

switched to the Gen4 G19 after lunch and switched back to the G17 within an hour or so. I had at least 6 malfs.

Other than the spring issue .... I like the Gen4 guns better than the Gen3. Personally, I wish they would have left the spring assembly alone. It's not like GLOCKs needed recoil reduction. What I love is the frame sizing, the new texture, the mag release, etc.
Thanks for your reply, VolGrad. What ammo were you using during the malfunction? I would also love to hear from you again after you test it out with the 04 spring. "I think you meant __JB's post"

regards,
glocktor

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Glocktor,

Again, welcome to the forum. Personally, I would go with the 3rd Gen. I will not talk negatively about the 4th Gen pistols but the 3rd Gen are tried and tested, ready to go.

Also, keep in mind that if you are looking to purchase a GLOCK under the GSSF program at the discount, you have to purchase from a GSSF dealer. The easiest way to find one nearest your location is to call them.

I will say it looks like you have done some research so you already have a leg up on this whole new gun thing! Congrats.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Thanks for your reply, VolGrad. What ammo were you using during the malfunction? I would also love to hear from you again after you test it out with the 04 spring. "I think you meant __JB's post"

regards,
glocktor
Good catch. I did mean JB's post. I updated my OP.

I was shooting 115gr reloads but they chrono the same as factory ammo. I don't think it was under powered. I have shot thousands of rounds of the same in other pistols without issue, including the rest of the class with my G17.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Thanks for your replies : Don Glock, USAntigoon, and __jb.
__jb, I have attended the last Suncoast Gun Show that was at Ft Lauderdale. I appreciate your detailed answers and suggestions. I picked up a box of "Speer Gold Dot" 9mm/ 147 gr. Paid $30 for a box of 50. I have heard that these were good for personal carry. What do you think?
I use the Speer Gold Dot 124gr for self defense - carry. I have shot some of them, but thankfully, only at paper targets so far. I'm sure the 147gr is a good choice, too... Maybe sfguard and jlweems will pop in with some better information about them.

I will try to get some of the American Eagle 124gr FMJ, too.
You can probably get them at the gun show, but be careful. For some reason ammunition is not always a good deal at gun shows. Lots of times people are selling WWB for more than Walmart sells it for. I get my ammo here:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/9mm-fmj-ammo

It looks like they are out of the AE 9mm 124gr FMJ rounds at the moment. They usually sell for $114 for 500 and $218 for 1,000 rounds. They come in the same 50 round boxes you get at gun shops.

I'm not sure what the TMJ ammo they currently have is. I think it's Total Metal Jacket... the whole bullet is enclosed, instead of leaving the bottom open like a FMJ bullet. They run out of the AE 9mm FMJ ammo quite often... It's a pretty good price.

I also picked up a Remora IWB holster. "http://www.remoraholsters.com/"
Did anyone feel the difference, if there is, between the gen 3 and gen 4 recoil?
Sorry, I have never fired a 3rd gen Glock 19...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
__JB, I appreciate your helpful information and the link which I have already bookmarked. Someone mentioned CCI Blazer was good for the glocks, another told me that it was a very dirty ammo. Do you know anything about this brand of ammo? Anyone?

thanks again,

glocktor

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Glocktor,

I owned a Gen 4 GLOCK 19, and a 3rd Gen GLOCK 19c (compensated). There was no major difference in felt recoil as far as I am concerned. Again, I am not saying anything negative about the 4th gen guns but I traded mine to a good friend for a 3rd Gen. I've been quite happy with the 19 and 19c that I have now.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
__JB, I appreciate your helpful information and the link which I have already bookmarked. Someone mentioned CCI Blazer was good for the glocks, another told me that it was a very dirty ammo. Do you know anything about this brand of ammo? Anyone?
I have never shot any CCI Blazer ammo, so I can't really say. Lots of people on the internet repeat what they have heard others say... I just try to tell what has worked for me... There are many erperts here on Glock.pro, maybe one of them will chime in...

I generally shoot pretty cheap ammo... Buying from Ammunitiontogo lets me buy better ammo for the same (or less) price. Some of the ammo I shoot is fairly dirty... I shot a lot of the AE 124gr FMJ in my new 17L and then switched to the WWB 115gr FMJ rounds... First thing I noticed was more powder in the air after each WWB shot. I clean my guns right after I shoot them, so it doesn't bother me too much.

The last time I talked to a Glock Tech, he recommended shooting the Fiocchi ammo with the new 4th gen Glocks... I haven't tried any of that either, but I might try it some day if I run out of ammo and Ammo2G doesn't have any of the American Eagle I like.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Glocktor,

I owned a Gen 4 GLOCK 19, and a 3rd Gen GLOCK 19c (compensated). There was no major difference in felt recoil as far as I am concerned. Again, I am not saying anything negative about the 4th gen guns but I traded mine to a good friend for a 3rd Gen. I've been quite happy with the 19 and 19c that I have now.
If the 4th gen Glock 19 shot the same as your 19c... That would be perfect justification for getting a 4th gen gun!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.