Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the day for my Glock Armorer's Course! It was held at the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office in Lithia, Florida. There were about 25 Sheriffs with the rest being either gun shop employees or GSSF members. The instructor was Jim Greene, a full time Glock employee and a LEO in North Carolina.

The itinerary was was very specific and the course lasted from 8am until a little after 5pm even though we took a short lunch and short breaks to help save time. The first part of the course covered a brief history of Glock and some of the company's engineering milestones. They also touched on the GSSF and its benefits to LEO's, their families, and civilians.

The rest of the class was dominated by hands-on training. Each student got a Glock 19 to work with and by the end of the day we were all extremely familiar with our particular pistol. Several of the training sessions were designed to also show how robust Glocks are (they will often work without parts, or with broken parts) and to demonstrate different trigger combinations.

The final part of the course was a practical test followed by a written examination. A final score of 80% on the written exam was required to become a Certified Glock Armorer. The exams were graded in the class, so everyone knew whether they had passed or not by the end of the course. Yes, I passed... I wouldn't be posting this if I hadn't passed. My three years as a Glock Armorer starts today!

I can't speak for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoyed the course. The instructor related many inside stories about Glocks and why they are designed with certain features. He also gave several tips and reasons for doing things that helped clear up some of my questions. It was definitely a well spent day as far as I am concerned.

My reasons for taking the class were mostly personal. Glocks are lethal weapons and I wanted to have proper training to help take care of mine. Glock's Certified Armorer Course seemed to be the best option for me. The certification also allows me to purchase parts directly from Glock, so that's cool. I like original OEM Glock parts.

That's about it... I thought I would share my experience in case some of you were also considering the Glock Armorer's Course.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
good for you JB it doesn't surprise me that you enjoyed the course. They do a good job with it. I am going to pm you a question just to see if your noticed something in the course. Don't answer it on here just pm me the answer

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Good on ya JB... You've been looking forward to this for a while I believe, and I'm sure it must feel good to have accomplished your goal.

·
Registered
197 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS jb!! Taking the course is definately on my list!!

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Congrats JB! I look forward to taking the course and appreciate your review. Don't forget, you can purchase more guns at discounted prices now!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Congrats JB! I look forward to taking the course and appreciate your review. Don't forget, you can purchase more guns at discounted prices now!
True. I was told it was 2 additional per year but was later told 2 additional over the course of the 3 year cert period. I have never followed up to see which is in fact correct though as I keep winning free ones. :cool:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Congrats _jb! Jim Green is teaching the class I'm going to take in January. Thanks for the post.:cool:

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Congratulations JB. I loved the class too. Now, let the punishment begin to all the non-Armorers by updating your profile. :)
"when I think about how humble I am, it makes me proud..."

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jim taught both of our courses. He's an intense guy.
Yes, he was intense, but a very good instructor... He wanted to make sure we learned everything we needed to learn... I would happily take another course from him!

...and when he said: "It's 10:17, break is over at 10:27" that didn't mean come back around 10:30... He started at 10:27... Good guy...

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congratulations JB. I loved the class too. Now, let the punishment begin to all the non-Armorers by updating your profile. :)
Hard to believe I almost forgot that... ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
True. I was told it was 2 additional per year but was later told 2 additional over the course of the 3 year cert period. I have never followed up to see which is in fact correct though as I keep winning free ones. :cool:
He went over that part, but the form looked like you had to be in law enforcement to take advantage of buying extra guns. I'll check it out again. I'm still waiting for the 4th gen G34 to come out.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats _jb! Jim Green is teaching the class I'm going to take in January. Thanks for the post.:cool:
He is an excellant instructor. You will love the class.

He covers a lot of material, but it's all interesting... and he backs up everything he teaches with facts... I had a great time... ...and by the end of the day you will become very familiar with Glock internals... :)

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"when I think about how humble I am, it makes me proud..."
It's not like that... I took this class to help me better understand the inner workings of Glock pistols... It made me much more knowledgeable about Glocks and their internals than I was before taking the class... The certification was worthwhile, but for me it was all about knowledge... plus, I really enjoyed the class... it was a fun day for me...

I have no delusions that a one day class will turn me into an expert like some of the other members here on Glock.pro. Many of the Glock.pro membership have years more experience with guns and Glocks than I ever will... Some of them are armorers and some are not... but there is a wealth of experience here... and I hope to keep learning from all of them.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
It's not like that... I took this class to help me better understand the inner workings of Glock pistols... It made me much more knowledgeable about Glocks and their internals than I was before taking the class... The certification was worthwhile, but for me it was all about knowledge... plus, I really enjoyed the class... it was a fun day for me...

I have no delusions that a one day class will turn me into an expert like some of the other members here on Glock.pro. Many of the Glock.pro membership have years more experience with guns and Glocks than I ever will... Some of them are armorers and some are not... but there is a wealth of experience here... and I hope to keep learning from all of them.
I don't personally know you, but from the posts you have shared over the forum, you've always showed yourself to be a thoughtful, genuine guy. My post was not meant to imply anything about you or your accomplishment. It was a poor attempt at humor as the post I quoted referred to one of this forum's less than stellar threads... My bad.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't personally know you, but from the posts you have shared over the forum, you've always showed yourself to be a thoughtful, genuine guy. My post was not meant to imply anything about you or your accomplishment. It was a poor attempt at humor as the post I quoted referred to one of this forum's less than stellar threads... My bad.
Thanks... Not a problem...

I originally considered not posting about it because of that situation... I decided to post anyway because I enjoyed the class and knew others were interested in taking the Armorers Course, too.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Thanks... Not a problem...

I originally considered not posting about it because of that situation... I decided to post anyway because I enjoyed the class and knew others were interested in taking the Armorers Course, too.
Thanks for making that decision jb. You know I'm interested in the class. Good info. Some of us don't get bent out of shape over a non issue! Googled Jim Greene and learned he retired from the SO in the same county I worked for after I retired from the military. Small world! Thanks again man.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.