Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post here... :D I just purchased my first Glock. I picked up a Glock 17 (not Gen4). I have heard mix messages on modding a Glock.

I bought it brand new, before even shooting it I put on the extended mag release, extended slide lock/release lever. Left all factory lube/oil in place. Took it out, shot 100 rounds through it. Slide failed to lock on my first 2 mags (10 rd) after last round. I assume I was hitting the slide lock lever somehow. Also had 2 FTE, one on the 16th round, and one on round 100. Guy at the range said the springs are tight new and it will be ok after shot a bit more. Happy with the way it shot overall...

I took it ALL apart, cleaned everything up spiffy clean, sparingly and properly lubed it. While it was apart I installed:

Extended slide stop/release lever, grip plug, OEM 5# polished connector, OEM polished trigger bar, OEM polished safety firing button, and a Scherer rigid recoil rod insert.

These are the mods I have done:

* Factory Extended Magazine Release Lever
* Factory Extended Slide Lock/Release Lever
* Lone Wolfe Extended Slide Stop/Release Lever
* Factory 5# Connector (Polished)
* Factory Smooth Faced Trigger/Trigger Bar (Polished)
* Factory Safety Firing Pin (Polished)
* Scherer Rigid Re-Coil Rod (inserts into stock polymer rod)
* Saf-T-Lock Trigger Safety (snaps behind trigger to prevent accidental discharge)
* Pierce Grips Grip Plug

After cleaning and lubing rails with high quality grease, it slides much smoother! The trigger feels much smoother also with the polished components.

I still plan on getting night sights, and a re-coil rod laser assembly.

Also was wonder about a trigger pull reducer? To me the trigger does travel too far. I found a clamp on device that will stop the trigger from excessive back travel. Is this a good mod?

Let me know what your opinions are on these mods and future planned mods, or mods that you know that should be or are beneficial to the shooter or gun.

What is a good ammo for price/quality for the range, and what do you rec for home protection ammo?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
You've already done a whole bunch more to your gun that I do to mine so I can't give you any good advice but I will say, Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
You have done more than I recommend as well.

The only no factory parts I have (or will) put on my GLOCKs are ...
sights ... prefer Ameriglo
mag release ... will use Vickers Tactical mag release
connector ... like the Ghost Ranger 4.5# if you don't use GLOCK OEM minus connector

Everything I use is GLOCK brand. Extended this and that is fine so long as GLOCK brand.

I don't recommend changing to aftermarket springs, guide rods, etc. Lots of people do that and don't have any issues. It's just not something I'm comfortable betting my life on. I also don't get into all that slack or over travel reduction. On a race gun maybe, on a carry gun NO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You have done more than I recommend as well.

The only no factory parts I have (or will) put on my GLOCKs are ...
sights ... prefer Ameriglo
mag release ... will use Vickers Tactical mag release
connector ... like the Ghost Ranger 4.5# if you don't use GLOCK OEM minus connector

Everything I use is GLOCK brand. Extended this and that is fine so long as GLOCK brand.

I don't recommend changing to aftermarket springs, guide rods, etc. Lots of people do that and don't have any issues. It's just not something I'm comfortable betting my life on. I also don't get into all that slack or over travel reduction. On a race gun maybe, on a carry gun NO.
Everything is factory except the slide stop/release lever, it is Lone Wolfe Brand. I do not plan on changing trigger #, or any other springs from stock. It is for the range and home protection. The safety pin, connector and trigger bar are factory parts polished by an armory... The guide rod is an "insert" that goes into the stock Glock recoil rod/spring assembly. It just stiffens the rod.

Should I put a factory extended slide stop/release on instead of the Lone Wolfe brand? I bought it thinking it WAS a factory part, but after I got it I noticed it was Lone Wolfe. It looks comparable in quality? That is the only part I installed that would affect reliability...

I don't think I have jeopardized the reliability in any way, but that is why I am here...

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
can i ask why you did so much before you even shot the gun?
That is actually a good question.

Admittedly, I do change to NS, change to smooth GLOCK trigger, change to GLOCK ext stlide stop, and GLOCK minus connector even before shooting a new gun ... if I have the parts on hand already, that is.

The LW part is probably fine. I won't bother swapping it back to GLOCK if you don't have any issues.

I personally have never polished any parts on a GLOCK or any other firearm. I am not saying it will cause you any issue. I'm just saying I think many people just feel the need to pimp their guns right off the bat. I'm not saying you, the OP, are doing this. I'm just saying it happens. People do things just to be doing them. If done properly polishing can make things smoother and lighter. If done poorly it could lead to reliability issues. I have felt a bunch of different triggers, some polished some not, some with after market parts some not, etc etc etc. Honestly, the only one I have truly felt the difference in is the GlockTriggers.com kit jlweems is running in one of his guns. We laid a bunch of our guns out on a table this past weekend on the range, all had slightly different trigger setups. Live or dry firing them all ... the only one that really stood out as different was the GT one. I would like to have one at some point but am too cheap to buy one.

The part that would be of concern to me is the insert you mention that stiffens the recoil spring assembly. This IS actually a part that could affect reliability and I personally would remove it immediately. Now, you might not have any issues so do what you want. I'm just saying some things are supposed to flex. The GLOCK frame itself is designed to have some flex in it. Again, it's one of those things where you say, "If GLOCK thought it needed to be stiffer to be reliable wouldn't they have made it stiffer to begin with?" It's not like they just skimped out to be cheap.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Every one here knows I prefer stock Glock period. As for the laser do some research before you spend your money on one. My info is 2nd hand but my research lead me to aviod a $300. plus mistake.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can i ask why you did so much before you even shot the gun?
I only added the extended mag and slide lock levers before I shot it... Those 2 items have NO affect on shooting at all and just make it more user friendly...

I NEVER leave anything stock, I don't go over board, but I do like to customize everything I own from my vehicles, my home, and my guns! LOL

The only part that "might" affect the shooting is the re-coil rod I inserted into the original polymer re-coil rod/spring assy.

I could not wait to get back from the range the first time to fully disassemble it, and learn all about it. They are quite simple! Only about 20 parts or so...

My 45 year old Revolver makes me nervous when I take it fully apart, there are a lot of parts compared to the Glock.

Can't wait to take it back to the range and shoot it again! Taking the wife next time to get her familiar with the Glock...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That is actually a good question.

Admittedly, I do change to NS, change to smooth GLOCK trigger, change to GLOCK ext stlide stop, and GLOCK minus connector even before shooting a new gun ... if I have the parts on hand already, that is.

The LW part is probably fine. I won't bother swapping it back to GLOCK if you don't have any issues.

I personally have never polished any parts on a GLOCK or any other firearm. I am not saying it will cause you any issue. I'm just saying I think many people just feel the need to pimp their guns right off the bat. I'm not saying you, the OP, are doing this. I'm just saying it happens. People do things just to be doing them. If done properly polishing can make things smoother and lighter. If done poorly it could lead to reliability issues. I have felt a bunch of different triggers, some polished some not, some with after market parts some not, etc etc etc. Honestly, the only one I have truly felt the difference in is the GlockTriggers.com kit jlweems is running in one of his guns. We laid a bunch of our guns out on a table this past weekend on the range, all had slightly different trigger setups. Live or dry firing them all ... the only one that really stood out as different was the GT one. I would like to have one at some point but am too cheap to buy one.

The part that would be of concern to me is the insert you mention that stiffens the recoil spring assembly. This IS actually a part that could affect reliability and I personally would remove it immediately. Now, you might not have any issues so do what you want. I'm just saying some things are supposed to flex. The GLOCK frame itself is designed to have some flex in it. Again, it's one of those things where you say, "If GLOCK thought it needed to be stiffer to be reliable wouldn't they have made it stiffer to begin with?" It's not like they just skimped out to be cheap.
Good info...

I think "pimpin" a gun as adding chrome pins, polishing the barrel, jeweling the barrel, chrome levers on a black gun, anything for looks and no performance. The LAST thing I want is a pimped out Glock! The mods I did I thought were very practical. I pretty much just paid for the new parts that were polished, and polishing was a minimal charge. I would not polish the feed ramp or any other stuff like that, but polishing the trigger bar and connector to a mirror finish without removing metal will not hurt anything(it might not help either).

But, we will find out tonight if it still as reliable as stock...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum. Every one here knows I prefer stock Glock period. As for the laser do some research before you spend your money on one. My info is 2nd hand but my research lead me to aviod a $300. plus mistake.
Yep, they are expensive! I am still researching and have found by my research they are very delicate and can be broken easily upon installation/removal but overall seem to be a good product. What are the disadvantages of them you have heard?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I will take it to the range tonight and see how it runs! I don't foresee any problems, but if I do, the re-coil rod will come out first. I heard Glock uses the Polymer rod because it is a "serviceable" part that requires changing out every 3K rounds or so...More cost effective (not necessarily cheap) to use the polymer rod.

I guess everyone has different opinions and fixes that work for them. There was a guy shooting a Glock when I first shot mine. The ONLY mod he had done to his was install a Stainless Steel Re-Coil rod, and stock stiffness aftermarket spring. He suggested I do the same. But, after researching a bit, I came half way between full no flex stainless or Tungsten rod, and chose a stiffener insert to allow it flex a bit, but not break. It seems to me after 100 rounds I could see where it flexes and the marks from the spring it left and stiffening it up a bit might help longevity of the rod/spring, but I am no expert...

It just seems boring to leave it stock...

My 10/22 I modded it all out and it helped accuracy/reliability. Same with my shotguns, revolvers. This is my first semi-auto pistol.

I appreciate all the inputs!

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Hi everyone, this is my first post here... :D I just purchased my first Glock. I picked up a Glock 17 (not Gen4). I have heard mix messages on modding a Glock.
Welcome to the Glock.pro forums!

There's all kinds of people here, but we're all fans of Glock pistols!

Interesting to see the mods you made on your 17... Sounds like you're already familiar with pistols...

Have fun... Hope you stick around...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
100 Rounds with ZERO problems! Awsome!

Just got back from the range. I put 100 rounds through it with no problems what so ever! I took my son with me, so there was a left and right handed shooter with different styles. Not only did it perform flawlessly, the grouping tightened up 2-3 inches from the first 2 times at the range. The re-coil was definitely less! My son felt it right away! I am sure that contributed to the tighter groups. I am so happy with it now! The trigger pull is MUCH smoother than it was out of the box the first 2 times shooting it. The guy who polished my trigger bar and connector actually tests stock 5.5# connectors at a little more than 6# on average of actual force needed. After he polishes these 2 parts, he measures 5# on average of pull required to fire. I noticed it right away! The polished safety pin firing button will not yield a noticeable difference, but it runs smooth, allowing all other parts to run as smooth and efficiently as possible. No more issues with the slide not locking after last shot(prob was operator error).

Quick re-cap of mods performed to my Brand New Glock 17:

Extended Mag Release
Extended slide lock/release
Extended slide stop/release (Lone Wolf)
5.5# Connector (mating surface polished)
Smooth faced trigger bar (polished mating surfaces)
Safety pin firing button (polished)
Scherer rigid re-coil rod (inserts into stock re-coil rod)
Saf-T-Block Trigger Safety
Pierce Grip Slug Plug

This combo worked better than I hoped! I recommend these to any Glock owner! I will keep you posted, but I can tell a good running gun when I shoot one.

Still thinking seriously about purchasing the Lasermax laser system. The one that replaces the re-coil rod assy with a laser assy operated by sliding the slide stop/release lever either left or right. If you know of any reasons NOT to purchase, please let me know. Someone here said they heard 2nd hand it was a waste of $300! The reviews I read were at least 95% positive, with the negative being broken on install due to it being sorta fragile in design on the battery/contact end. Lasermax will replace the end cap for free and that is what most broke. The only other complaint was the batteries died quick? Anyway, really liking it and need some reason not to buy it! The price is high, but no other ones appeal to me and seem clumsy to operate...

Also getting some sort of night sights, but they are expensive! Any ideas on the best route there?

Input appreciated! Thanks

VERY Happy new Glock owner!!!:cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome to the Glock.pro forums!

There's all kinds of people here, but we're all fans of Glock pistols!

Interesting to see the mods you made on your 17... Sounds like you're already familiar with pistols...

Have fun... Hope you stick around...
Thanks! I have owned a couple revolvers, but this is my first semi-auto...

I am an auto technician by trade, so I naturally like to take things apart, find the week points, and put it together better than it came apart...:D And modify it for more performance where possible without sacrificing reliability. Same theory goes into my guns also I guess. I feel like it is "personalized" now just for me.:rolleyes:

Happy to be here! I always join a forum I have interests in. I enjoy seeing what other people do, what they have to say, and so on. You learn a lot from web forums. Thanks for having me...

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
As far as ammo goes for SD or HD I keep Hornady Critical Defense in my pistols mostly. As for practice I reload so I don't even know what all is out there anymore.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
As far as the Lasermax ... I will re-iterate it is my opinion (for whatever that is worth) that replacing the stock recoil spring assembly (with anything else, insert or laser) can introduce the potential for reliability issues. Again, I have not tried the Lasermax so recommend you do your own research. It appears you have and still want one so I'm sure you'll be happy. If it were me and I wanted a laser setup I would go with the Crimson Trace instead ... the new version with the activation on the front strap rather than the back strap. I would actually like a set for my G26 but they are dang expensive.

For Night Sights see this thread ...
http://glock.pro/showthread.php/761-my-Ameriglo-line-up
... my recommendation is Ameriglo ProGlo orange/green up front and GL405L black serrated rear.

For carry ammo my favorites are (in no particular order) ...
Speer Gold Dot
Winchester Ranger
Federal HST (not the same as the old Hydra-Shok)
Remington Golden Saber

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
If the slide lock is not installed properly (with the notch to the rear of the pistol) it might perform erratically. I made this mistake, had the occasional problem, and when I put the lock in correctly the problem (failing to lock the slide) went away.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.