Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Glock 21sf owner. Its my first pistol. I am a little OCD :) and want to clean my pistol the right way. So many people with different opinions. I need directions on how to clean, what to clean, what to use and what to oil etc. Can anyone help me or direct me to video or directions. I read owners manual but not very clear. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
TheLaw is right, that's a very good post.

Being that this is your first pistol, some background on the Glock might be helpful. As you have no doubt noticed by now, the frame and many of the 34 parts are made of polymer. This is very strong stuff, and because it won't rust and has low friction, the polymer itself doesn't need any lubrication. In fact, putting oil on any place on a Glock where it is not specifically needed is a bad idea, because it will just serve to collect dirt. So, control your tendencies. Clean the gun thoroughly with a toothbrush and a rag, maybe dampened with some solvent or polymer-friendly spray, but wipe any extra solvent off the gun before oiling it at the points mentioned in the post. Be sparing with the oil, and you'll be surprised at how well the gun operates, and really how clean it remains. If you don't oil the thing up, most of the firing residue will come off easily with a toothbrush.

Chris

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
New Glock 21sf owner. Its my first pistol. I am a little OCD :) and want to clean my pistol the right way. So many people with different opinions. I need directions on how to clean, what to clean, what to use and what to oil etc. Can anyone help me or direct me to video or directions. I read owners manual but not very clear. Thanks for any help.
glocks don't need to be cleaned before shooting them for the first time. they arrive cleaned, and lubed from the factory. the most i do to a new glock before shooting for the first time is squirt a little more lube on it. :)

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
And you should always make sure the barrel is clear before shooting a new gun. Just in case. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I plan on making a video one day, sadly the videos that I learned from have been taken off of YouTube for some reason. But I can tell you what I use:
-Bore rod and brush that came with the gun
-Synthetic patches, either Hoppe's or Outers(I buy in bulk from midwayusa.com, real cheap compared to tiny packages you get in gun stores)
-100% cotton rag or old 100% cotton t-shirt
-Hoppe's nylon Utility Brush, great for brushing the breech face with big end and under extractor claw with small end
-old/expired soft plastic ID card, which I wrap the rag or a patch around to get into the rails of the slide
-Hoppe's Elite Cleaner to clean everything, including polymer. Hoppe's #9 solvent to clean the bore of the barrel. Ballistol oil to give all metal parts a wipe-down for corrosion protection(see below). Hoppe's Oil for lubrication, small drops in the areas indicated in the instruction manual.
-Q-tips. BE CAREFUL not to leave little bits of cotton inside the gun with these. They're great to use, but you've got to be careful because there are SO many places that the cotton will catch on.

>Just make sure not to get oil into the internal parts of the slide, on the breech face, around the extractor, or in the magazines. Oil in the internal parts of the slide will collect more gunk than usual and begin to cause the gun to malfunction in various ways. Oil in the other areas can get onto your ammo, and if oil seeps inside your ammo it can cause either the powder, the primer, or both, not to detonate. If only the primer detonates, the bullet might get stuck in the barrel and if another round is fired the gun can blow up.

Here are a few videos that will show you most everything you need to know:
Nutnfancy Glock Cleaning:
Lubrication by JamesYeager:

And a lubrication points picture: http://media.photobucket.com/image/glock lubrication points/Farmer72/lube.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.