Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She will want one 2 have around the house. I was thinking a glock 19 because she is small and can't handle. 40 recoil. What do u think would b a good choice ?

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
To be honest if she is that small make sure she can operate a automatic. I normally recommend a Revolver for people who are getting a spouse into shooting. Especially if it is something they are not going to really practice with. If she can operate a automatic with no problem other than recoil from something like a 40S&W then I would take her out and let her shoot a 9mm. Range rental?

Then let her look at several of them. If the gun is to be her's then let her decide. I was broken hearted when my wife's pick for a semi-auto was a Taurus?????? Not sure where I went wrong but she liked it. Now she carries and uses a pistol that I made for her. I feel better about that. But, hey like I said it was her gun. Still is she has it around here somewhere or another.

Point is it is very exciting to get someone else into shooting and we all want to tell them what we think is best for them. But that is not always best. Let her decide

Reactions: NWGlocker

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Best thing to do for anyone wanting to know what to get is to try and let them shoot as many as possible. As SF mentioned, ranges that rent are the best option if you have one available. I too have known a few older women that have issues racking a slide. either from weakness or arthritis. They both carry revolvers today. In theory, a person wouldn't need to rack the slide once loaded on a semi-auto, as the slide will lock back on empty mag and the slide release can be used when a new mag is inserted, however a person that carries a semi-auto should be able to rack the slide in case of mis-feed, ftf, double feeds, etc..

·
Registered
465 Posts
My wife does not carry but she likes to go shooting with me. She does not have a problem with the size of the guns but is recoil sensitive. I guess just not enough muscle in the hands, wrists and forearms to handle it. She shot my G35 and hatted it. Her favorite was the CZ P-07, 9mm with very soft recoil. Did not like my LCR 38 either. Did try a 22lr pistol rented at the range and it was too wimpy.

As previously stated, the answer is to have her try as many different weapons as possible and find out how much training/shooting she is willing to put into it. If she dedicates herself she will be able to handle bigger guns/caliber, otherwise may have to go with 9mm or less in something that fits her hands well.

If you get her something she doesn't like she will not shot it, unless you're thinking of getting "her" the G19 with the hopes she may not like it and by default it will end up being yours!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She has shot a s&w j frame and didn't like it much. Whenshe shoots a semi auto she feals better and she can work the autos well. Thanks 4 the help

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
If she can work them with no problems by all means take her to a gun store and look at them. Again let her find something that fits her hand. Meaning feels good to her. A lot of people don't like the feel of a Glock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.