Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally taking the plunge and am going to work on detail stripping. I only disassembled the slide, and I was surprised how much of a breeze it was to take all the components off. I wanted to learn to do this so I could take advantage of the ultrasonic cleaners that my range offers.

I didn't have the courage to disassemble the firing pin, though. Some people on YouTube said it was a pain in the *** to put the spring and cups back together.

·
Super Moderator
6,976 Posts
I'm finally taking the plunge and am going to work on detail stripping. I only disassembled the slide, and I was surprised how much of a breeze it was to take all the components off. I wanted to learn to do this so I could take advantage of the ultrasonic cleaners that my range offers.

I didn't have the courage to disassemble the firing pin, though. Some people on YouTube said it was a pain in the *** to put the spring and cups back together.
There's a trick to removing and reinstalling the firing pin spring...

Use the slide to hold the firing pin assembly while you remove and reinstall the firing pin spring and cups... Flip the firing pin assemble upside down and slip it into the firing pin channel in the slide... Turn the lug to one side so it doesn't slip down into the slide. Makes it a lot easier to hold on to...

Reactions: NWGlocker

·
Banned
44 Posts
Yeah I just dove in to doing my first detailed field strip, wasnt bad at all. My range has one of those ultrasonic cleaners and charge 20 freakin bucks! I don't care how good of a job that sucker does, I can do it for free. Might take me a while to figure it out but still.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I dont think that ultrasonic cleaners are that expensive are they. Buy one for yourself at that price

·
Registered
2,773 Posts

Use the slide to hold the firing pin assembly while you remove and reinstall the firing pin spring and cups... Flip the firing pin assemble upside down and slip it into the firing pin channel in the slide... Turn the lug to one side so it doesn't slip down into the slide. Makes it a lot easier to hold on to...
Cool _jb. Did you pick that up in the Armorer's class?:cool:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, jb. What do you do to clean the firing pin after it's disassembled?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Congrats on the detail strip. I actually haven't ventured into breaking down the slide components but always detail the frame and trigger group every time I clean it. (Thanks Vol)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts

Hey _jb, thanks for that tip. Did that with my 26 about 10 minutes after your post.
Took about 20 seconds. Way easier than holding in your hands and fighting it from
all directions!

·
Super Moderator
6,976 Posts
Thanks, jb. What do you do to clean the firing pin after it's disassembled?
I just clean it with solvent and a cloth like the rest of the parts. Nothing special really about the firing pin.
I agree with Vol, as usual...

You would mainly take the spring off to inspect it or the other parts of the firing pin assembly.

·
Super Moderator
6,976 Posts
Hey _jb, thanks for that tip. Did that with my 26 about 10 minutes after your post.
Took about 20 seconds. Way easier than holding in your hands and fighting it from
all directions!
You're welcome...

Glad it helped...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally did the trick that jb suggested with the firing pin and the spring cups, and it worked really well. Thanks again!

I was tempted to update my OP and say that disassembling the firing pin isn't as difficult as I'd heard.

·
Super Moderator
6,976 Posts
Glad you got it...

·
Registered
248 Posts
http://stevespages.com/pdf/glock_2009_armorers_manual.pdf
Starting at page 32, pretty easy way to disassemble and reassemble the firing pin assembly.

I use Hoppe's Elite Cleaner to clean EVERYTHING, metal, polymer, everthing, when detail stripping the slide and frame. I DO NOT oil any parts of the slide in detail strip, I just clean with Hoppe's Elite Cleaner, wipe dry, then reassemble.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts