Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
None
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this thread for the first part of the story.

I took it out to a local range this morning and shot it on paper. I continued shooting controlled pairs and doing reload drills to see if the mag catch change worked. It did.

For the reload drills, I loaded up with three rounds in the pistol and had mags with two rounds each in my carriers. I fired two rounds, dropped the mag, and then reloaded. I did this for approximately 80 rounds. Then I did some with two rounds in each mag so that I was doing out of battery loads. My fundamentals were a little sloppy, but the machinery worked well.

As for the Vickers mag catch, I can feel it in the web of my hand, but it didn't cut me like the OEM extended catch does. I'll give it a passing grade.

I like the accuracy of this pistol at a moderate pace, but every time I tried to approach the speed at which I run my 19 I start getting wild.

I had planned to shoot this pistol in an IDPA match tomorrow, but I'm thinking of going with the old reliable 19.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I'm gonna run my G34 tomorrow but will prob take my G19 just in case I change my mind last minute or have to go to a backup for some reason. I haven't shot the G34 since changing the front sight yesterday so I am a bit nervous. The front sight prob isn't a big deal to shoot without adjusting anything but I wouldn't shoot it tomorrow had I changed the rear ... and not re-ZERO'd.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Check this thread

As for the Vickers mag catch, I can feel it in the web of my hand, but it didn't cut me like the OEM extended catch does. I'll give it a passing grade.
yeah i've had that vicker's tactical catch on my g19 for some time now. it's not bad, nothing amazing though lol. i exchanged the first one i bought with brownells because the mags fit way too loose, but the second one is fine. never a malfunction with either one. no accidnetal mag drops either. if you lay your glock flat on a table the vicker's mag catch won't eject the mag like the extended glock one will. (which is nothing more than a large frame mag catch)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
.... the extended glock one will. (which is nothing more than a large frame mag catch)
The extended mag catch for a 9mm, etc. GLOCK is not the same thing as the mag catch that comes on a large bore GLOCK (.45acp or 10mm).

Not sure if that is what you meant or if I just read it wrong. I just wanted to clarify that either way.

I agree with Don on the Vickers mag catch. I have it on one of my G19s and like it but prob won't go out and buy another one. It's nice but not super duper special.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The extended mag catch for a 9mm, etc. GLOCK is not the same thing as the mag catch that comes on a large bore GLOCK (.45acp or 10mm).
it sure is, my friend. :cool: consult your armorer's manual. the only different extended mag catch that glock makes is solely for the FBI contract, and is not available to civilians.

here it is on brownells, notice it fits 45/10mm/40/9mm models :

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22998/Product/Magazine_Catch

Magazine Catch

* Mfr:GLOCK
* FITS: Model 20, 10mm; Model 21, .45 ACP; Model 29, 10mm; Model 30, .45 ACP; Model 34, 9mm; Model 35, .40 S&W

Catalog page 552, 553, 554

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
it sure is, my friend. :cool: consult your armorer's manual. the only different extended mag catch that glock makes is solely for the FBI contract, and is not available to civilians.
I actually checked the parts list before I posted. The part # for the ext mag catch for the 9mm, etc. is different than the regular mag catch for the bit bores. I would have expected if they were the same it would have listed them separately but with the same part # on each line. Very interesting. I won't argue further as I really don't know for sure. Very interesting.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
I took it out to a local range this morning and shot it on paper. I continued shooting controlled pairs and doing reload drills to see if the mag catch change worked. It did.
Glad you got the mag problem sorted out.

Looks like you should be good to go...

I like the accuracy of this pistol at a moderate pace, but every time I tried to approach the speed at which I run my 19 I start getting wild.

I had planned to shoot this pistol in an IDPA match tomorrow, but I'm thinking of going with the old reliable 19.
Do you have the same sights on your trusted 19 and the 34?

I was wondering if maybe the front sight width or rear sight groove width was different between the 19 and 34. Maybe your vision through the sights is better on the 19.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I actually checked the parts list before I posted. The part # for the ext mag catch for the 9mm, etc. is different than the regular mag catch for the bit bores. I would have expected if they were the same it would have listed them separately but with the same part # on each line. Very interesting. I won't argue further as I really don't know for sure. Very interesting.
actually i shouldn't have said "consult your armorer's manual" as glock will often give the same part a different number, depending on which model it's intended for lol :)

(must be a European thing :confused: )

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I am not as accurate with the 34 as I am even the 26 much less the 19. I don't get it but I just don't care for them

·
None
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad you got the mag problem sorted out.

Looks like you should be good to go...

Do you have the same sights on your trusted 19 and the 34?

I was wondering if maybe the front sight width or rear sight groove width was different between the 19 and 34. Maybe your vision through the sights is better on the 19.
Both have Ameriglos, but they are not the same style.

I think it is just that the 34 balances different and that the longer slide of the 34 makes a difference somehow. I shoot it accurately as long as I don't push it as hard as I do the 19.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Could just be the trigger. You've shot the 19 so much, it's probably better than any polished trigger as it has polished itself. I don't know but if you're so upset with the 34, I'll take it! :)

·
None
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could just be the trigger. You've shot the 19 so much, it's probably better than any polished trigger as it has polished itself. I don't know but if you're so upset with the 34, I'll take it! :)
Didn't say I was unhappy with it. Just said I didn't shoot it as good at speed as I do my 19.

Perhaps I should put back in the regular connector and see if that makes a difference. It could be the lighter trigger is breaking ever so slightly quicker.

Other option is to play with the over-travel some.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Well, good luck with it

·
None
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went ahead and ran it today. Figured all would be well as long as I beat VolGrad.

I did much better with it when shooting instinctively versus just running drills at the range.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I had some mental errors today ... incl a couple of procedurals for dropping partial mags. I also had a hit on a non-threat. Oops.

I will be shooting my G19 at the next match. I think I shoot the G34 better for bullseye shooting but just handle the G19 better overall.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.