Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Presented here is a list of the most common modifications or "mods" made to Glock pistols. Most of the mods can be made to either Gen4 or earlier models, so the photos will show some of each. The boundaries we have set around this list of mods are:

· Reversible: none of these mods is permanent, with the exception of polishing parts. By swapping the original parts back into the gun, it can be made "stock" again.

. Functional: these mods all effect some change in the performance or usability of a Glock pistol. None are purely cosmetic in nature.

· Easy: any of these mods can be installed or performed by a person with average manual dexterity and common tools.​

I often refer to instructions at other locations or sources rather than supplying detailed instructions within this post, since I saw no need to repeat the good writing work of others. Regarding suppliers, I have only mentioned a few that I regularly use: there are a number of companies in the business of making and selling Glock aftermarket parts. To find them simply perform a web search using the word "Glock" plus the name of the mod as the search argument.

Here is a link to a Glock factory parts order form:http://us.glock.com/documents/GLOCK_Parts_Order_Form_Non_Certified.pdf. Expect delivery to take several weeks.

Name: 25-Cent Trigger Job

Advantages: reduces friction in trigger pull resulting in smoother pull
Disadvantages: none known
Supplier: this is a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) mod, unless you have it done by an Armorer or Gunsmith
Cost: about $.25 for polishing agent
Tools: Glock Disassembly Tool (Glock part number GT 03774, often called the Glock Armorer's Tool, this is a 3/32" (2.5mm) pin punch with a chamfered end and a Glock handle), Dremel or other hand held rotary tool with a felt polishing bob, and some metal polishing compound such as Simichrome or Flitz.
Procedure: Here is a link to a general set of instructions, provided by Glocktriggers, for disassembly of the Glock: Trigger Installation - GlockTriggers.com. The general procedure is to completely disassemble the pistol and then polish the connector, trigger bar, and firing pin safety to a mirror shine where these parts touch each other. All this does is to accelerate the normal break-in wear that is usually done by firing the pistol. If you want to dig deeper into the topic of Glock trigger tuning, here is a link to an excellent video by boomer, one of our Members: http://glock.pro/glock-tech-warranty/1699-advanced-glock-trigger-tuning-2.html#post19636

Polished Connector:

Eyewear Personal protective equipment Font Circle Metal

Polished Trigger Bar (polish the sides and tops of the indicated areas):

Bicycle part Font Auto part Bicycle drivetrain part Metal

Polished Firing Pin Safety:

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Nickel Font Circle

Name: Extended Slide Stop Lever
Advantages: Facilitates finding and activating the slide stop with your thumb (right-handed shooters) or your left index finger (left-handed shooters).
Disadvantages: Because inadvertently tripping this extended lever causes a malfunction (unexpected slide stop to the rear if pushed up, or failure to stop to the rear on an empty magazine if pushed down), it is not commonly found on Glocks used in competition. Approach this mod with some caution.
Supplier: Glockmeister, Lone Wolf Distributors, others.
Cost: $10-$22
Tools: Glock Disassembly Tool
Procedure: Using the Glocktriggers link above, dismantle the lower receiver and replace the part.

In the photo below, the standard slide stop lever is on the left/top, the extended version is on the bottom/right.

Line Auto part Font Technology Engineering

Name: Extended Slide Lock
Advantages: Facilitates field-stripping the pistol by making it easier to grasp the sides of the lock. The standard lock is about 27.8mm wide, the extended version is about 29.5mm wide.
Disadvantages: On carry guns, the extended lock can snag clothing.
Supplier: Glockmeister, Lone Wolf Distributors, others
Cost: $10
Procedure: Using the Glocktriggers link above, field-strip the lower receiver, press down on the aluminum spring holding the slide lock in place, remove the old slide lock, install the new one. Make certain that you have oriented the lock correctly, with the notch to the upper rear.

Name: Heavy Trigger Spring
Advantages: There are claims that installing a heavier trigger spring reduces trigger pull weight. It does make the end of the trigger pull feel more "crisp".
Disadvantages: None known
Supplier: Glockmeister, Lone Wolf Distributors, Wolff
Cost: $2 to $3
Procedure: Using the Glocktriggers link above, field-strip the lower receiver and replace the OEM trigger spring with a new one.

Name: Replacement Sights
Advantages: Glock's original sights are usually polymer, unless the pistol is delivered with Glock night sights. The polymer sights can be damaged, the threads on the front can be stripped, and the rear sight can easily be moved off to one side or the other, causing sighting problems. Replacing the polymer sights with steel sights improves durability and stability of the sights. Many people just want night sights, and there are several varieties available.
Disadvantages: Cost and effort to install.
Supplier: Lots of them. I have good experience getting Glock sights from Dawson Precision, CPWSA, and Glockmeister.
Cost: $50 to $150.
Tools: Glock sight pusher, or the deft and careful use of a light hammer and a brass punch, as well as a special nut-driver to remove the Glock front sight.
Procedure: Where to begin…well, here's one excellent source: www.dawsonprecision.com SIGHT INSTALLATION Category.
Installation can often be performed by the parts supplier at a cost of around $50 plus shipping.

Dawson Competition Sights:

Watch Rectangle Gas Gadget Camera accessory

Warren/Sevigny Sights:

Auto part Plastic Font Electronics accessory Fashion accessory

Name: Magazine Extension
Advantages: Some people want to extend the capacity of Glock magazines by one or two rounds. Others, shooting the compact and subcompact-framed Glocks, want to improve their grip on the pistol. Either goal can be achieved with a well-chosen magazine floor-plate extension.
Disadvantages: If used on a compact or subcompact gun, the gun will become slightly less concealed because you are adding a physical external extension to the magazine. Also, these extensions can be somewhat difficult to install, and may require changing magazine springs.
Supplier: Pearce, Glockmeister, Lone Wolf Distributors, Glockstore
Cost: $10-$20 typically
Tools: Glock Disassembly Tool and self-restraint. Removing the floorplate on Glock magazines is challenging by any standard. A magazine tool called a "G-Tul" can be a big help.
Procedure: Following instructions provided by the supplier, replace the floor-plates. It does get easier after you have done the first one and have calmed down.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Name: Replacement Connector
Advantages: Reduces Trigger Pull. There is a good deal of discussion on record about the effectiveness of replacement connectors, here is a good place to start: http://glock.pro/glock-tech-warranty/5756-connector-comparison-test-3.html#post64480
Disadvantages: Reduces Trigger Pull: this mod may not be a good idea for a carry or service pistol.
Supplier: Glockmeister, Lone Wolf Distributors, Glockstore, Ghost, others.
Cost: $10 to $50
Procedure: Using the Glocktriggers link above, field-strip the lower receiver and replace the OEM Connector with a new one.

Name: Grip Tape
Advantages: Improves your ability to grip the pistol, especially helpful where extreme heat, humidity, or mud are factors. Grip tape is usually easily removable, so you can replace it if it gets worn or damaged.
Disadvantages: This tape can be very abrasive, it could chafe your hands.
Supplier: Tac-Grip, Talon Grips, others (you could fashion your own from skateboard tape)
Cost: $15-$20
Tools: None
Procedure: Follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Camera accessory Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun

Name: Extended Magazine Catch
Advantages: The standard Glock magazine catch can be difficult for some shooters to reach, or difficult to activate in a hurry. This part simply extends the reach of the magazine catch outward so that it is easier to find, and some versions have improved surface texture.
Disadvantages: Like anything that sticks out from a gun further than the original part, an extended catch can inadvertently snag on clothing at an inopportune time.
Supplier: Glock, Vickers Tactical (they call it a Magazine Release), Lone Wolf Distributors, Glockmeister, Glockstore
Cost: $5-$15
Tools: Glock Disassembly Tool, small screwdriver
Procedure: Field-strip the pistol, detail strip the lower receiver just to get extraneous parts out of the way. Using the screwdriver, carefully push the magazine catch spring out of position to allow you to remove the magazine catch and replace it with the new one. Do NOT push down on the magazine catch spring: doing so could damage the frame. Be patient.

Font Auto part Metal Titanium Bicycle part

Name: Grip Plug
Advantages: may keep foreign matter out of the Glock frame.
Disadvantages: may keep foreign matter, such as water, in the Glock frame.
Supplier: Glockmeister, Lone Wolf Distributors, Gentra, Taylor
Cost: $5-$15
Tools: usually none
Procedure: Follow suppliers instructions.

As comments from the Forum members appear, it's likely that I will update this post with fresh information.

Chris

·
Registered
323 Posts
Wow! Chris you sure go to a lot of work for this site. Thank you for all your time and effort. I really appreciate your efforts as I am sure everyone else does too. Keep it up you da man!!
al

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Chris you sure go to a lot of work for this site. Thank you for all your time and effort. I really appreciate your efforts as I am sure everyone else does too. Keep it up you da man!!
al
Al,

Thank you. It was pretty rainy here today, and once I got started on this I couldn't stop!

Chris

·
Registered
266 Posts
This is another great write up..! I think it should automatically be set up in a link to each new member post... and, to not remove the reddish rusty looking grease Haha

·
Registered
154 Posts
THIS is the best video I have found on disassembly and assembly of a Glock. It's in HD, the lighting is good, and he walks you through each step and tells you how everything works. If you want to go into detail, this is the one to teach you.

And if you want to go to extremes, I use KeepVid to download the raw video to my computer to watch whenever I want, without the need to depend on YouTube's servers (which lately have always been painfully slow in the evenings). Use at your own risk, though, when downloading anything to your desktop computer.

doug

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Great post Chris! These are the quality informational posts that separate Glock.Pro from the "pack".... Well done sir!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Very nice, thanks Chris. I already did the .25 trigger job on the 27 & 22 and i can tell the difference a little.
I had my friend(Glock Armorer) put the extensions on the 27's magazines though. I was ready to throttle someone trying to take them apart.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice, thanks Chris. I already did the .25 trigger job on the 27 & 22 and i can tell the difference a little.
I had my friend(Glock Armorer) put the extensions on the 27's magazines though. I was ready to throttle someone trying to take them apart.
You're welcome!

If there was ONE thing I could change about the Glock, it's the magazines: I would rather have plain steel magazines than the polymer version, I just don't see any advantage to the design. A steel sleeve inside a polymer body? Why? There must be something there that I am missing, because Glock has some pretty good designers.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great post Chris! These are the quality informational posts that separate Glock.Pro from the "pack".... Well done sir!
Thanks, Ed. I've been trying to aggregate information on some topics that come up frequently, with the goal of making it easier for new members to find answers. We're making progress!

Chris

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tools: Glock Disassembly Tool and self-restraint. Removing the floorplate on Glock magazines is challenging by any standard. A magazine tool called a "G-Tul" can be a big help.
Procedure: Following instructions provided by the supplier, replace the floor-plates. It does get easier after you have done the first one and have calmed down.
You have a flair for understatement, my friend. This should be soooo simple. Really. It's not, though. Calming down and not taking a chain saw to those @#$%ing little tabs is the biggest challenge. :) The directions call for a "slight squeeze" - this understatement thing might be an epidemic!

(my Pearse extensions arrived a few minutes ago, and I'm already desperate for help. *deep breath*)

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You have a flair for understatement, my friend. This should be soooo simple. Really. It's not, though. Calming down and not taking a chain saw to those @#$%ing little tabs is the biggest challenge. :) The directions call for a "slight squeeze" - this understatement thing might be an epidemic!

(my Pearse extensions arrived a few minutes ago, and I'm already desperate for help. *deep breath*)
OK. Breathe deeply. Take a pair of common pliers, put some tape on the teeth to avoid scratching the polymer, and experiment (gently, ever so gently) squeezing the magazine tube near where the devilish little squared projections fit into the notches in the floor plate. As you squeeze the magazine tube to clear the notches, push the floor plate off slowly using your handy Glock Disassembly Tool.

Be calm.

Repeat a Mantra: I can do this. I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

Once you have broken through and done it once, each successive attempt will be equally frustrating.

The cure? I turn the floor plate's 90° notch edges into 45° edges with an X-Acto knife. Much easier.

Chris

·
Registered
154 Posts
I read that the other day and laughed. My first thought was, "what the hell is wrong with you guys? My mags are easy to take apart." I went into the garage to do one and potentially do a quick video, and promptly was tormented by a magazine that had no interest in being opened. I spent 10 minutes on it and gave up.

Sig mags are open in like 5 seconds, but they are filled with Cosmoline form the factory. At least I didn't have to dismantle all of my Glocks to clean them. LOL.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I read that the other day and laughed. My first thought was, "what the hell is wrong with you guys? My mags are easy to take apart." I went into the garage to do one and potentially do a quick video, and promptly was tormented by a magazine that had no interest in being opened. I spent 10 minutes on it and gave up.

Sig mags are open in like 5 seconds, but they are filled with Cosmoline form the factory. At least I didn't have to dismantle all of my Glocks to clean them. LOL.
See? We're not ALL crazy.

I think this is a conspiracy, where Glock makes these magazines hard to open, and then subtly suggests that the one easy way to clean them is with compressed air.

Voila! Sears sells dozens of air compressors to frustrated Glock owners, and Gaston gets a(nother) kickback from Sears toward his boat payment.

Well, maybe.

Chris

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
First couple mags I tried to take apart years ago had me rethinking the whole "Perfection" thing. Now it's a Glock tool, a good squeeze with my fingers, and a little leverage. It's all in the technique.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If there was ONE thing I could change about the Glock, it's the magazines: I would rather have plain steel magazines than the polymer version, I just don't see any advantage to the design. A steel sleeve inside a polymer body? Why? There must be something there that I am missing, because Glock has some pretty good designers.

Chris
I would have to say the sights would be the one thing I would (and do) change. I have no problems with the magazines. They work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Chris, thanks for all the great info you post up every day. Some days I get tired just trying to keep up with all the great stuff you post. :)

Dayn

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the kind words, Dayn!

Chris

·
Registered
162 Posts
Fantastic post, thank you for the info. This will definitely help Glock owners a bunch.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks, Ed. I've been trying to aggregate information on some topics that come up frequently, with the goal of making it easier for new members to find answers. We're making progress!

Chris
Just my opinion but I think the reason behind the plastic mag id the plastic mag release and plastic mag well. a Metal mag would wear out the mag release in short order. But I guess both could be metal. Also, another source of Glock parts is Brownells. They have everything and at very reasonable prices.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.