Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a LEO but had a question. I have done some stippling on a couple of my Glocks to improve the grips. I don't use the grip tape stuff or slip on grips. the grip tape comes off and leaves a sticky residue behing and the slip on grips are to pricy and are not what you really want most of the time. A friend of mine just joined the local sheriff dept, he saw the stippling job I did on my guns, used the 21 for a few mags and really liked it. He wanted me to do a stippling job on his duty weapon. I am not sure if that is legal or if I could get in trouble for doing that (destroying gov't property). So that is my question the the LEOs in this forum is it legal to modify your duty weapon and will the person that did it get in trouble? I know that you cannot modify a duty weapon in the army

·
Administrator
7,038 Posts
I am not a LEO but had a question. I have done some stippling on a couple of my Glocks to improve the grips. I don't use the grip tape stuff or slip on grips. the grip tape comes off and leaves a sticky residue behing and the slip on grips are to pricy and are not what you really want most of the time. A friend of mine just joined the local sheriff dept, he saw the stippling job I did on my guns, used the 21 for a few mags and really liked it. He wanted me to do a stippling job on his duty weapon. I am not sure if that is legal or if I could get in trouble for doing that (destroying gov't property). So that is my question the the LEOs in this forum is it legal to modify your duty weapon and will the person that did it get in trouble? I know that you cannot modify a duty weapon in the army
Not sure of the legal issues, but I wouldn't do it...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I sent Glock an email on the warranty issue and the y responded with this

Modifying the frame would not void the warranty unless it inhibits the function of the gun sir.
Best regards
Dan

I guess that answers that question. Now all is left is to get permission from his dept.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I carried a Glock 17 on duty, the only person that I would allow to make any changes was the department.
We could not even send it to Glock. The trigger spring was increased to make the trigger pull higher.
Recoil spring was reduced as well, just takes a little to to make a justified shooting into a murder in court.
"So he wanted the grips done so he could be a more efficient killer", as the lawyer looks at the jury!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
IMHO: If your are carrying on duty or for personal protection, don't screw with it for the reasons ^he said! Competition guns are a whole nuther thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Since when's a the slip on grip expensive? I think the Hogue slip on is like $11.00 or less. I know a lot
of LEO's that use those on their Glocks. I think they have department approval too. It doesn't modify
the gun. I use one on my G23 and love it. You will pay a lot more to get your grip stippled.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Before I retired I was my departments amorer and we issued the Glock 22/23 and the only alterations we allowed to issued weapons was the addition of an NY-1 trigger( personal choice) and grip tape or slip on tube. Officers were allowed to carry personal weapons and we had Glocks, 1911s, Sigs and one H&K. Several of the personal Glocks were customized with stippled grips.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am in South Carolina and I sold a G26 to a Greenville officer who said (and I am saying - 'he said'), he was going to use it as a back up gun. Does that sound Kosher you LEOs? Dave Glock

·
Administrator
3,276 Posts
Every officer (fed and local) that I know carry personal guns for backup/off duty. The agency may make recommendations but those I know about are more flexible on the choice than with duty guns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am not an LEO but have been told it really depends on the Department/agency. Most are a solid no as in court the mods you make will make you a more efficient killer. Some mods, especially done not by a registered armorer, could make the gun accidentally discharge due to an incorrect lightening of a trigger.

Finally, an overwhelming reason is court. The layer will ask why you felt the need to modify your gun into a more efficient killing machine. You could argue that a grip does nothing, but the professional mouthpiece with tons of experience, is going o tell the jury of 12 non firearm people ( think soccer moms) that you are the second coming of Lee Harvey with a badge and a modified gun.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You know what they say - I'd rather be judged by 12 than shot by one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That would be true. DG

·
Registered
569 Posts
You know what they say - I'd rather be judged by 12 than shot by one.
The only problem with that is amount of money per hour your attorney would charge to get you acquitted. When it comes to a jury trial, they can be lengthy and obscenely expensive.

Reactions: 4DarkMatter

·
Registered
234 Posts
This, since you are fighting the DA with virtually unlimited resources. You could win the trial, but lose everything and anything that means something to you.

A DA may sue you silly to make a point or just to make a name for themselves.

These may be considered "weapons of war" by some politicians.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.