Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

My model 22 is having jamming/ejecting problems. I have seen the posts for other models but let me tell you what I've tried to alleviate the issue

I don't believe I'm limp wristing the gun. I've owned this gun for 10 years or more and this problem is fairly new.

Tried several brands of ammo - Same problem
Cleaned the gun - same problem
got a new barrel (lone wolf)- same problem
replaced the springs in my original mags - same problem
bought a new mag - same problem
ejector appears to be in tact and straight.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
What exactly is it doing? Not extracting all the way, ejecting, smoke stacking

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi gang,

My model 22 is having jamming/ejecting problems. I have seen the posts for other models but let me tell you what I've tried to alleviate the issue

I don't believe I'm limp wristing the gun. I've owned this gun for 10 years or more and this problem is fairly new.

Tried several brands of ammo - Same problem
Cleaned the gun - same problem
got a new barrel (lone wolf)- same problem
replaced the springs in my original mags - same problem
bought a new mag - same problem
ejector appears to be in tact and straight.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alan
have you replaced he recoil spring, or recently attached a tac light?

check the extractor too. i had to replace a defective one from the factory on my g19.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Hi gang,

My model 22 is having jamming/ejecting problems. ......
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alan
Alan,

You haven't mentioned that you have detail-stripped the slide. Have you done that? If not, I would do that and carefully clean the firing pin safety, extractor, and examine the extractor depressor spring and polymer spring loaded bearing.

If you haven't done that, here's a link to some instructions: http://www.parts.cc/glock/disassembly/Disassembly1.htm.

BE SURE TO WEAR EYE PROTECTION when doing this, because the spring assemblies will be under tension when you remove the slide cover. You will need one tool to do this job, either a Glock Armorer's tool or a 3/32" punch.

Based on everything else you've written, it sounds like you're very familiar with this pistol and have given it good maintenance, so I'm going to guess that you might have just worn out that spring loaded bearing, or the extractor depressor spring. The spring loaded bearing costs $2, and the spring costs $3 (from Glockmeister, your other sources may vary).

If the bearing is worn out, you will have extra friction between the extractor depressor spring and the extractor, slowing things down, and maybe causing the problems you're seeing. Or, there could just be enough fouling built up behind the extractor (or under the extraction claw) to cause the problem. Getting in there to look certainly won't hurt.

Also, carefully examine the extractor when you get it out and get it cleaned. These things do wear out or get chipped, and a new one will cost $19.50, again from Glockmeister.

It also won't hurt to pull out the firing pin assembly and clean that as well, as long as you have the slide apart.

When you clean these areas, don't lubricate them, all that lube will do in there is collect dirt. There are enough polymer parts in these assemblies to keep friction down.

If you don't want to do this yourself, and if other suggestions that will be coming from the forum don't solve the problem for you, I'd take it to a gunsmith or Glock dealer. This would involve about 15-30 minutes of labor for a competent Armorer.

Chris

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Others have already hit on it but I would suggest checking the following ....
replace the recoil spring assembly ... prob a good idea anyway if you've never done this in 10 years
check the ejector to see if it is loose ... have seen one loose on a buddy's gun I overhauled for him
check/replace the extractor depressor plunger spring ... make sure the extractor seems in good condition and in place

Detail stripping the slide is always a good idea. This allows a thorough inspection and cleaning at least once per year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a great forum. I really appreciate all the suggestions and feedback.

I have only field cleaned it. Not detailed cleaned as Chris suggested. I will try that. As VolGrad suggested, it can't hurt and the instructions don't look too hard.

No, the recoil spring was my next replacement and it's an older model so it doesn't have the accessory rail.

Sniper, it's almost like the casing is not getting positively grabbed and casing is getting partially ejected so when the slide comes back it jams trying to chamber the next round or the casing is ejected and it jams while chambering the round.

Thanks

Alan

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Alan,

We see a fair number of postings like yours, so please do let us know what you find to be the culprit, and what you do to fix it. That will really add to the knowledge base. And welcome to the forum!

Chris

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
No, the recoil spring was my next replacement and it's an older model so it doesn't have the accessory rail.

Sniper, it's almost like the casing is not getting positively grabbed and casing is getting partially ejected so when the slide comes back it jams trying to chamber the next round or the casing is ejected and it jams while chambering the round.
Alan
Glad to help out. Based on what you said here I do suspect changing out the EDP spring and cleaning out the area around the extractor will solve your issues, esp with a new recoil spring assembly. These parts are cheap and they are easy to change out. I've found the area around the extractor can get really gunk'd up if you don't clean it occasionally. For example, I've taken in some really well used guns in trade and upon detail stripping the extractor can be difficult to work loose from all the crap build up inside. Once you get it out and cleaned they run like a champ.

·
None
1,525 Posts
Make sure the pistol is unloaded. Point it upward straight up and down with the muzzle up. After having made sure that it is unloaded, pull the trigger with the pistol pointed up. Keep the trigger pressed to the rear. Pull the slide back and gently ease it forward until it is almost back in battery and then let go of the slide. It it snaps quickly into battery your recoil spring is okay. If it does go into battery or does so slowly, your recoil spring is due for a change.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change it anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Gang,

I took the slide apart as suggested. It was really quite easy thanks to the directions and a video on You Tube (gotta love You Tube, there's a video for everything). No chance of parts putting any eyes out on this one. It was so dirty after 10 years I had to drag the parts out. I went through a ton of Qtips. I cleaned with hopps #9 and nylong brush then removed the grease left by the hopps with alcohol and reassembled.

Even after the cleaning it still failed to eject about every third shell but I think I found my problem though. I think I have a broken extractor. Please look at the image and let me know what you think.

This is the only glock I have so I had nothing to compare it too so I stopped off at a shop and looked at model 17 and the extractor doesn't look so rough.

So, I'll order an extractor and recoil spring as others have suggested and see if that helps.

That's the update,

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Alan

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Good luck. Let us know how it works out when you get the parts.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Alan;

Yep, it's broken. Thank you for the very clear photo, that will help somebody else in the future. When you get the new extractor, could you place the old one and the new one side by side on a table and post a photo, a "before and after" image?

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi Gang,

I took the slide apart as suggested. It was really quite easy thanks to the directions and a video on You Tube (gotta love You Tube, there's a video for everything). No chance of parts putting any eyes out on this one. It was so dirty after 10 years I had to drag the parts out. I went through a ton of Qtips. I cleaned with hopps #9 and nylong brush then removed the grease left by the hopps with alcohol and reassembled.

Even after the cleaning it still failed to eject about every third shell but I think I found my problem though. I think I have a broken extractor. Please look at the image and let me know what you think.

This is the only glock I have so I had nothing to compare it too so I stopped off at a shop and looked at model 17 and the extractor doesn't look so rough.

So, I'll order an extractor and recoil spring as others have suggested and see if that helps.

That's the update,

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Alan
yep, you got yourself a chipped extractor there, my friend. no biggie. call glock first. if you get the right guy on the phone they'll send a free one to a local cert glock armorer of your choosing. otherwise, they're about $20 online.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Water Grey Wood Automotive tire Tints and shades

Not sure about everything I see in the photo, but it doesn,t look like it happened instantly. Like The Don said it should be relatively inexpensive to repair.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Broken extractor or weak ammo was going to be my guess when you described how it was jamming. Haven't been around much the last couple of days though so I didn't get a chance to post back. It is a easy fix

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Yep, broken extractor claw... Good catch...

http://glockparts.com/Products.aspx?CAT=708

You can get a new one from Glockparts.com if you can't but parts directly from Glock... Probably faster anyway... Not sure which generation your 22 is, but make sure you get the right extractor...

I'd probably hold off shooting until you get a new extractor installed. It's not to hard to replace the extractor... Just look for a video that detail strips the slide...

Nice picture, too... Canon's 100mm Macro lens is a beauty...

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
...If the (spring loaded) bearing is worn out, you will have extra friction between the extractor depressor spring and the extractor, slowing things down, and maybe causing the problems you're seeing.
I need to point out the error I made in this reply. The spring loaded bearing does not touch the extractor, so if it wears out there will be no added friction. In fact, since the spring loaded bearing is just a spacer that touches the slide cover plate and the extractor depressor spring, I doubt that in the entire history of the Glock pistol one has ever worn out!

My apologies to all for this error, in the future I'll be careful to re-read and check my recommendations before publishing them.

There, I feel better now.

Chris

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.