Glock Pro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Me practicing Emergency Reloads

23K views 86 replies 10 participants last post by  Glock21sf 
#1 ·
I hope this is the best place to post this...

Figured id make a video of my ER practice. no better way to learn then to watch yourself suck. obviously i need to keep training to get the muscle memory of the mag wells location... any other tips?

#2 ·
Might I suggest bringing the pistol in closer to your body on the reloads? You can keep the pistol in your line of sight while looking down range at the threat, but it is much easier to conduct the reload when doing so.

Also, you may want to look at your mag placement and orientation. For mags on the support side, vertical orientation with the rounds pointed toward the center line are recommended. For rounds on the strong side, horizontal orientation with the rounds pointed upward is recommended.

#3 · (Edited)
would the over all time from shot to shot be as fast if i brought the gun in and reloaded and then brought the gun back out and re-aquired the sight picture?

also its hard to see in the video but im using 2 double stacked horizontal velcro mag pouches. bassically my options are only how i stick them in the pouches either bullets facing down or bullets facing up. also let me add that this setup is for "combat" not competition although this is what i use in competition aswell.

I guess where i got the feel of keeping the gun all the way out is from rifle reloads. you keep your eye down the sights and reload blindly bassically. if its a piss poor way of reloading a handgun i have no problem switching it up.

#4 ·
While I am certantly no expert, what training I have had all concur with JLWeems suggestions. For weak side mags, mine are vertical, bullets down and facing forward. While you may (or may not) be slightly slower with follow-up shots by bringing the gun closer, it is certantly faster than fumbling with the reload while you remain locked out.

#5 ·
10-4.. ill have to flip my left side mag pouches vertical and see if that helps. thanks for the tips guys

ill make a video while reloading by bringing the gun to me and also with the new mag pouch configuration. well see how it goes eh? lol

#8 ·
Nice video, Major... it shows exactly what you're doing and makes it easy for others to critique.

It always amazes me at how specific most of you all are on small detailed issues... Issues that could make a big difference when seconds count... Good comments!

#18 ·

this is what my pouches look like. see how its a solid form. the wider bottom of the magazines arent able to slide in so you have to put them in bullet end first. and it said the pouches are made for a G23 magazine specifically. (hope this explains the issue)

#21 ·
On the second video, you still seem to be dropping your hands down quite a bit. Try bringing the firearm directly towards your face, just below your line of sight. This allows you to keep eyes on target as well as see the firearm in your peripheral vision. I'm not sure what it is called but I use the 4 step draw. I would say when reloading, you should be back at step 3, just below your line of sight. I would also look at some different mag carriers. I personally like the Comp-Tac carriers a lot. I usually go with the single or twin pouches.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog.php?cPath=22

With these, grasping the magazine as you pull them out allows for your index finger to fall right on the top round. Notice the pouches are oriented so that the magazines must face forward when work on your weak side. (left for me)

#22 · (Edited)
On the second video, you still seem to be dropping your hands down quite a bit. Try bringing the firearm directly towards your face, just below your line of sight. This allows you to keep eyes on target as well as see the firearm in your peripheral vision. I'm not sure what it is called but I use the 4 step draw. I would say when reloading, you should be back at step 3, just below your line of sight. I would also look at some different mag carriers. I personally like the Comp-Tac carriers a lot. I usually go with the single or twin pouches.
oh ok that makes sense to hold the gun up higher while reloading. cool ill have to add that into my system. these are great tips and at this rate i will have the ideal reload system shortly.

With these, grasping the magazine as you pull them out allows for your index finger to fall right on the top round. Notice the pouches are oriented so that the magazines must face forward when work on your weak side. (left for me)
the holsters in the link seem more geared towards competition sure they are quick in reloads but if i were to dive behind a brick wall or run full sprint or even just walk through thick brush. i want all of my magazines to also make it to the new location. LEO's have to carry day in and day out, everything from border patrol to swat or even military and as far as ive seen personally nobody really carries that style magazine holster for combat Philosophy of use.

#23 ·
oh ok that makes sense to hold the gun up higher while reloading.

the holsters in the link seem more geared towards competition sure they are quick in reloads but if i were to dive behind a brick wall or run full sprint or even just walk through thick brush. i want all of my magazines to also make it to the new location. LEO's have to carry day in and day out, everything from border patrol to swat or even military and as far as ive seen personally nobody really carries that style magazine holster for combat Philosophy of use.
I use the single mag pouches from Comp-tac on duty. I also use the open top kydex pouches from Blackhawk.

#27 · (Edited)
He is making it harder on himself by leaving the gun out at full extension. You should keep the pistol at eye level and bring it in closer to you.

Also, he has the magazine oriented incorrectly in the mag pouch. The rounds should be pointed upward not downward. He is having to roll his wrist to insert the mag into the firearm. What I am trying to describe requires no such movement.

Having the rounds pointed upward also eliminates the top round working its way lose when running or fighting.

I'll try to set up a video at some point. I'll have to dig out a mag pouch that can be used horizontally.
he shows how he was trained to do a reload by holding it out during mag changes and then he also does it once or twice as he actually does it where he reloads at the high ready.

also our the mag pouches are fitted and the round has no where to go as far as sliding down on the feed lips.

then he shows the steps to put the mag in properly one way takes two steps the other takesthree. he uses the two step method.

if you could make a video of your method that would be great!

#32 ·
Good videos!

To the previous comment by the OP about the open top Comp-Tac magazines, while I don't do a lot of combat during the day, I have never had one of those mags come out. I use the single and double as stated. Each section is independently control with a set screw for tightness on the magazines. I can take any of my mag holders off right now, and after turning them upside down, shake like crazy without the mags falling out. I wrestle with my kids, sleep, eat, run (rarely :) ), etc and I have never had a mag come loose.

I could see a potential threat of someone grabbing one of the mags if I was carrying them Openly, which I rarely do but I doubt they would be going for my mags if someone wanted to try that.

Back when I did wear a duty belt for a living, I used mag holsers that snapped closed, similair to what JL was wearing in the beginning of his video. I wore mine horizontal as well, front right appendix area (1 PM).

While I don't think a Comp-Tac mag holder would be my first pick for a SWAT raid, I think they are good to go for most any other uses. I don't wear a level 3 holster so I see no reason to wear an mag carrier that has any more retention than the set screws.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions on new ideas and suggestions! Good luck.

#33 ·
jlweems,

first off thanks for posting your video so quickly.

i beleive where the difference is, is in how i grab my magazine to start. i grab them like my arms rocking a baby (wrist up) so my index finger is still on the bullet end as it comes out. heres a closer look.

#34 ·
TheLaw,

If they are infact adjustable tightness i dont see how they would fall out if tightened just right. i guess im just paranoid. maybe its the same reason i have to use atleast a level two retention holster. if i use a level one holster i find myself holding the gun as i run in fear of it flying out.

kinda like when your about to shoot a competition stage or something where your going to NEED that first chambered round to fire so you check the chamber 3 times even though you know very well the gun has a chambered round. but if you dont check it throws your whole mind set off. or maybe thats just me and im OCD? lol

#35 ·
To each his own. All of my training and experiences leads me to the way that I am doing it, but if your training and experience is different, and it works for you, keep doing it. Hopefully, you'll never have to do it for real, and hopefully nothing will go wrong if you do.

While competitive shooting and real life gunfighting are different worlds, spend some time watching the top competitive shooters and see how they orient their mags and how their hands move when reloading.

#36 ·
yeah i too hope this is all just for fun and never do i put these skills to use other then in games. but im realistic and realize the dangers of this world. im far from set on my technique here and will continue to try different ways yours included.

great video by the way sir.

#37 ·
This is an excellent thread! Extremely useful, helpful information and videos!

I made it a "Sticky" thread so it will always be at the top and easy to find.

#41 ·
Also this is technically is only covering one of three types of reloads fully. how does a speed reload or a tactical reload play into this? do we still want to bring the gun in to change mags even though we have a "shootable" round chambered and ready to go? then the knowledge that a gun fired with no magazine jams 1/5 (give or take) times starts to play. do i really want to even shoot my one chambered round without a magazine in it and risk brining my gun down temporarily?

thoughts?

#46 ·
I must say this is a very intense thread; it seems like you two almost walked ten paces, turned and fired... lol jk, anyways I believe that you should stick to what is the eaiest for you just like jlweems said. and if "The Guy Jack" was trained the way he showed us then that is correct, on the same note if MajorFlinch 'youtube trained' himself to do a backflip before a reload then so be it. however you feel comfortable drawing and reloading your weapon is the correct way regardless of outside opinions.... on a serious note, however, if your looking for speed i would concider "The Guy Jack" 's opinion on the matter. think of this by bringing in the weapon whether high ready in your peripheral or low ready out of view your adding another step(s) into the process. you now have to punch back out (1 step) and regain a sight picture (2 step) but "The Guy Jack" does not have to punch out nor regain a sight picture therefore an accurate shot will be quicker with his method... granted there may be more control over a closer reload but once again if "The Guy Jack" has trained in this method he can be as quick if not quicker than the other methods mentioned..... think about it .... "TheGuy Jack" method, starting aimed in and puched out.... (step1)while reaching for a full mag, drop empty mag, remain aimed in and punched out... (step2) insert full mag into mag well, charge pistol while remaining aimed in and punched out...(step3) while never loosing sight picture...fire..... (peripheral reload) method...starting aimed in and puched out... (step1) while reaching for a full mag, drop empty mag, while bringing pistol into high ready peripheral view... (step2) insert full mag into mag well, charge pistol... (step3) punch out to target and regain sight picture... (step4) once sight picture aquired...fire..... i would have to say that "The Guy Jack" 's method is faster because you can keep a sight picture and not have to punch back out. so regardless of how you draw your mags this topic is about the actual RELOADING of the pistol not how do you situate your mags in your pouch.... sorry for the long explanation but it was needed.

#47 ·
So how are the top competative shooters doing it? Don't you think they would be using the method that is faster and allows for a more accurate shot. You lose a lot of control over the weapon doing it that way, and your chances of fumbling a reload, or worse, dropping a mag, are much higher.

*** Yes, I understand competition and gunfighting aren't one in the same, but the issue here is the same in both worlds.

Try this: on seperate range trips so as not to let fatigue impact the outcome of the results, try each method 100 times with a partner using a shot timer to record your splits (including any dropped mags and fumbled reloads). Report back which method is faster.

#49 ·
based off of the gear "The Guy Jack" and MajorFlinch use i dont think they are trying to train to be the worlds best competition shooters otherwise they would use competition guns and gear accordingly. i believe they are trying to figure out which method of reloading is not only quick but combat efficient for real life events. based off of "The Guy Jack" 's style i'd assume he has been trained for law enforcement situations which i believe most closely represents the style of reloading MajorFlinch is looking for. however to be as to the literal point of how to perform a quick reload why not instead never punch the weapon out but rather place the weapon inches away from the mag pouch and reload that way because i guarantee that will be the quickest of any way.... and were you serious about the 100 times in a row comment..... doing anything 100 times in a row will cause you to fatigue, furthermore you cant base that theory in this situation unless its physically possible to carry 100 fully loaded mags on you while combat or competition shooting.... i hope that makes sense, for example if your a cop on patrol you may carry a total of three mags so you will only need to know whats the most efficient way to reload those three mags not 100 in a row to find out whats the most efficient... like i was saying if "The Guy Jack" and MajorFlinch are looking for combat style with their combat mag pouches then "The Guy Jack" 's style is it. but if they want to know how to win the world competition shooting trophy then they need to reconsider there mag pouches and get these...

#50 · (Edited)
I understand that, and I clearly stated that there is a difference between competition shooting and gunfighting.

As for training for law enforcement, that is where I got my training, and I am a multiple times over certified LE firearms instructor with years of teaching experience.

The techniques I showed using duty gear, which was my original duty belt by the way, use the same basic techniques as show with the competition guys. Todd Jarrrett is also one of the leading LE/military contract trainers in the business.

Are you willing to take my challenge and go do the reloads under time to see which is faster?

---
The holster on my duty belt was a Safariland 070, which is a triple retention holster.

The mag pouch is the Safariland Double Handgun Magazine Pouch.

The mag pouches were

#51 ·
so your asking me a general gun enthusiast to challenge a pro shooter or a several certified pistol instructor..... heck im just an Innocent-Bystander.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.