Glock Pro Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the best place to post this...

Figured id make a video of my ER practice. no better way to learn then to watch yourself suck. obviously i need to keep training to get the muscle memory of the mag wells location... any other tips?

·
None
1,525 Posts
Might I suggest bringing the pistol in closer to your body on the reloads? You can keep the pistol in your line of sight while looking down range at the threat, but it is much easier to conduct the reload when doing so.

Also, you may want to look at your mag placement and orientation. For mags on the support side, vertical orientation with the rounds pointed toward the center line are recommended. For rounds on the strong side, horizontal orientation with the rounds pointed upward is recommended.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Might I suggest bringing the pistol in closer to your body on the reloads? You can keep the pistol in your line of sight while looking down range at the threat, but it is much easier to conduct the reload when doing so.

Also, you may want to look at your mag placement and orientation. For mags on the support side, vertical orientation with the rounds pointed toward the center line are recommended. For rounds on the strong side, horizontal orientation with the rounds pointed upward is recommended.
would the over all time from shot to shot be as fast if i brought the gun in and reloaded and then brought the gun back out and re-aquired the sight picture?

also its hard to see in the video but im using 2 double stacked horizontal velcro mag pouches. bassically my options are only how i stick them in the pouches either bullets facing down or bullets facing up. also let me add that this setup is for "combat" not competition although this is what i use in competition aswell.

I guess where i got the feel of keeping the gun all the way out is from rifle reloads. you keep your eye down the sights and reload blindly bassically. if its a piss poor way of reloading a handgun i have no problem switching it up.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
While I am certantly no expert, what training I have had all concur with JLWeems suggestions. For weak side mags, mine are vertical, bullets down and facing forward. While you may (or may not) be slightly slower with follow-up shots by bringing the gun closer, it is certantly faster than fumbling with the reload while you remain locked out.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I am certantly no expert, what training I have had all concur with JLWeems suggestions. For weak side mags, mine are vertical, bullets down and facing forward. While you may (or may not) be slightly slower with follow-up shots by bringing the gun closer, it is certantly faster than fumbling with the reload while you remain locked out.
10-4.. ill have to flip my left side mag pouches vertical and see if that helps. thanks for the tips guys

ill make a video while reloading by bringing the gun to me and also with the new mag pouch configuration. well see how it goes eh? lol

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Another tip is to orient your index finger on the tip of the top round. This way you are "pointing" it into the magwell.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts

I agree bring the gun in closer and in the line of sight. Watch this for a demonstration of what is meant.

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Nice video, Major... it shows exactly what you're doing and makes it easy for others to critique.

It always amazes me at how specific most of you all are on small detailed issues... Issues that could make a big difference when seconds count... Good comments!

·
None
1,525 Posts
would the over all time from shot to shot be as fast if i brought the gun in and reloaded and then brought the gun back out and re-aquired the sight picture?

also its hard to see in the video but im using 2 double stacked horizontal velcro mag pouches. bassically my options are only how i stick them in the pouches either bullets facing down or bullets facing up. also let me add that this setup is for "combat" not competition although this is what i use in competition aswell.

I guess where i got the feel of keeping the gun all the way out is from rifle reloads. you keep your eye down the sights and reload blindly bassically. if its a piss poor way of reloading a handgun i have no problem switching it up.
Yes, your overall times will be faster and you stand a MUCH lesser chance of dropping a mag.

As for my recommendations for the mag orientation, that was based on combat/duty carry and not competition. You want to be able to draw the mag with your index finger along the front of it so that you basicly point your finger to the magwell. The method in which you are holding the mags leads to either dropping the mag or missing the magwell.

I hope that doesn't read like I'm beating up on you as that isn't my intent.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
yeah no kidding. That guy is blazing fast.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, your overall times will be faster and you stand a MUCH lesser chance of dropping a mag.

As for my recommendations for the mag orientation, that was based on combat/duty carry and not competition. You want to be able to draw the mag with your index finger along the front of it so that you basicly point your finger to the magwell. The method in which you are holding the mags leads to either dropping the mag or missing the magwell.

I hope that doesn't read like I'm beating up on you as that isn't my intent.
no not at all i posted this for the critisism and appreciate the tips. i took a picture of the magazine holster/pouches im using and hopefully will get it posted i here shortly. but bassically the main thing is that the magazines cant go in bottom side first. feed lip side of the magazines have to go in the pouch. for me to be sticking the magazine in with my index finger on the front of the mag by the top round i would have to either use two hands and adjust my grip on the mag or just toss it a bit to choke up on it. maybe i need new magazine pouches?

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Nothing like a little Travis Tomasie to make a fellow feel inadequate. LOL
Wasn't meant to do that. Was trying to elaborate on what you had said by showing someone bringing the gun close into the body and into the line of sight. He was the first one I found doing such.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried to do my reloads by bringing the gun into me and it did seem a bit quicker over all.

heres the video. (sorry for such poor quality again)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wasn't meant to do that. Was trying to elaborate on what you had said by showing someone bringing the gun close into the body and into the line of sight. He was the first one I found doing such.
yea i see what your saying thanks. but on a side note ill never be that quick. hes got a widened mag well opening being its a race gun.

·
None
1,525 Posts
no not at all i posted this for the critisism and appreciate the tips. i took a picture of the magazine holster/pouches im using and hopefully will get it posted i here shortly. but bassically the main thing is that the magazines cant go in bottom side first. feed lip side of the magazines have to go in the pouch. for me to be sticking the magazine in with my index finger on the front of the mag by the top round i would have to either use two hands and adjust my grip on the mag or just toss it a bit to choke up on it. maybe i need new magazine pouches?
The feedlip end will have ot go in first, but you can decide which way the bullets are pointed. If carrying the mag horizontal, the bullets should be pointing up. If you carry the mags vertical, the bullets should be pointed toward the centerline of the body.

If carried in this manner, as you grasp the mag with your support hand, you can easily use your index finger to guid the magazine into the magwell.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
yea i see what your saying thanks. but on a side note ill never be that quick. hes got a widened mag well opening being its a race gun.
Open class race gun actually. To be honest probably has more $ tied up in his holster than you have in your pistol. But that is neither here nor there. Just added it for demonstration purposes.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

this is what my pouches look like. see how its a solid form. the wider bottom of the magazines arent able to slide in so you have to put them in bullet end first. and it said the pouches are made for a G23 magazine specifically. (hope this explains the issue)

·
None
1,525 Posts

this is what my pouches look like. see how its a solid form. the wider bottom of the magazines arent able to slide in so you have to put them in bullet end first. and it said the pouches are made for a G23 magazine specifically. (hope this explains the issue)
I have some similar pouches, and you can still put the mags in the pouches as I am describing.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The feedlip end will have ot go in first, but you can decide which way the bullets are pointed. If carrying the mag horizontal, the bullets should be pointing up. If you carry the mags vertical, the bullets should be pointed toward the centerline of the body.

If carried in this manner, as you grasp the mag with your support hand, you can easily use your index finger to guid the magazine into the magwell.
oh ok i see what your saying now. yea i had them bullets facing down with it horizontal. that makes perfect sense now.. see this is why i posted this.. great tips guys!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.