Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have noticed on a lot of posts, comments about letting loaded mags sit overnight to relax the spring if you can't get the advertised number of rounds into the mag. My question is this; can you over-relax the spring by keeping the magazines fully loaded all the time? I do this and have had not problems, but would like to hear your comments.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have always been told mag springs relax from regular use ... loading & unloading ... rather than just from being compressed. Most in the know will tell you leaving mags loaded ... even for years ... will not wear/relax a spring at any negligible level.

I did recently read where someone I trust said otherwise ... might have been LAV. Whomever it was didn't elaborate. I will see if I can find where I read that.

EDIT: Here it is ...
http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/magazines/

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
i've kept all my glock mags fully loaded for years, including a 33 rounder. the only time i would unload them is when i would take them to the range, and would rotate them. never had an issue.

replaced the springs after almost 3 years just as preventative maintenance. they're cheap, so why not?

it's actually the compression and decompression of mag springs that wears them out the fastest. there's been fully loaded 1911 mags found from WWII that fed and functioned fine. glock makes some of the finest gun springs in the world.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have always been told mag springs relax from regular use ... loading & unloading ... rather than just from being compressed. Most in the know will tell you leaving mags loaded ... even for years ... will not wear/relax a spring at any negligible level.

I did recently read where someone I trust said otherwise ... might have been LAV. Whomever it was didn't elaborate. I will see if I can find where I read that.

EDIT: Here it is ...
http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/magazines/
Thanks, good infor in that article.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've kept all my glock mags fully loaded for years, including a 33 rounder. the only time i would unload them is when i would take them to the range, and would rotate them. never had an issue.

replaced the springs after almost 3 years just as preventative maintenance. they're cheap, so why no

it's actually the compression and decompression of mag springs that wears them out the fastest. there's been fully loaded 1911 mags found from WWII that fed and functioned fine. glock makes some of the finest gun springs in the world.
Thanks Don, thats very interesting about the 1911 mags.:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Springs wear only with use. Compressed then relaxed over and over. A spring can sit compressed for 50 years and be as strong as the day it was put in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.