Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I'm sure you could put the 21 release on the 22 - it's probably the same part number... have you checked online sites to see which part number they list for your 22 compared to the 21 factory replacement?

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Just checked - the G22 takes part number 1981 and the 21 takes 1982 - blah..

Looks like the one is for 20, 21, 29, 30 and the other is for 17, 19, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 31, 32, 33, 34 and 35

·
Registered
29 Posts
Save mag extensions for competition guns as a certain IWB holster will dump your mag at an inappropriate time.

Unless you have very short/fat fingers or a G26/27 there is room to move your hand around the gun and release the mag. On my 26&27 I took the release for a 21 and filed it down in a rounded shape so it is about half way between normal and extended. Baby North American Arms I just use my left thumb.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a small point, if your thinking of putting the extended mag release on your carry make sure you do some trimming on the holster. Sometimes the release gets pressed. I use a extended release on my fun/comp guns but not the carry's.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
I am a lefty and have never had an ambi gun until my Ruger P-89 I shot a few hundred rounds with it and then put it in the safe and it has not been fired since. Point being after years of shooting right handed guns,I did not like a gun for ambidextrous shooters. I am used to right handed handguns fired in my left hand,and the extended mag release for lefties is a bad idea IMO.Bad news to hit mag release shooting lefty when it counts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm another lefty. The stock mag release is perfect for me. All it takes is to move my middle finger to release the mag. Super quick, IMO.

Funny story - Carried my 23 one day all day with the mag not fully seated, because I had set something in the safe on top of it in such a way to engage the mag release. At the end of the day, when I pulled the holster out of my belt, the mag fell and hit the floor! Never set anything on top of it again.

LC

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Save mag extensions for competition guns as a certain IWB holster will dump your mag at an inappropriate time.

Unless you have very short/fat fingers or a G26/27 there is room to move your hand around the gun and release the mag. On my 26&27 I took the release for a 21 and filed it down in a rounded shape so it is about half way between normal and extended. Baby North American Arms I just use my left thumb.
That's basically my problem. I can't use the mag release while maintaining my firing grip. I went with the Glock extension and yes I have partially unseated a mag while using it. Only once so far.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Any favorites? I understand that I can put a G21 release on my G22, but then I understand a lot of goofy things.

It's either one of these or send it to Robar and void the warranty
the "extended" mag release glock sells is nothing more than the G20/21 mag release. it's too long out of the smaller frames, and has sharp corners. get the vickers mag release from brownells. it's longer than standard, but shorter than glock's, and has beveled edges. you can lay your glock on a flat surface with it and the mag won't pop out like it can with the glock "extended" one.

i've had one on my g19 for quite sometime. works great. no accidental mag drops.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I have the same issue at the OP. The standard gen 3 mag release requires me to change my grip to release the mag, something I don't want to do. I have installed a Glock extended mag release in my G38 and it works but is much longer. I will probably file it down some and smooth out the corners. Other 3rd party groups do sell extended mag releases that aren't quite as long, and feel better on the palm of the hand but they are also not legal in GSSF matches where the Glock extended mag releases are. I have not had an issue with the G38 popping the mag out with the extended release, and I carry it IWB.

I do not have the same problem with my Gen 4 G19 since the mag release has a larger surface area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.