Glock.pro banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on an island, sometimes referred to as tropical paradise, not only is it really really cold this morning, best I can tell, (sun is not up yet), my truck is covered with this strange looking white stuff ! ! ! !

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
20180309_064855.jpg

Does it look anything like this?

Gaz

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
It's typical for us. We average j6st 120" each season. With 6' in 3 days the most I've seen here.

It was a great little range till the farm behind us donated that land to the county parks. We can still hunt but now only by permit and they have a lottery type drawing for them.

It's 160' from the table to the far line of trees.

Gotta be at least 4" deep to even bother starting the tractor.

Gaz

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
We got 6" yesterday and are being told to expect the same Wednesday - oh, but there's supposed to be a quarter inch of ice in between, in case anyone down here whose actually driven in snow thinks they can actually get out.

The screwed up part is it's 7 degrees right now (Dallas) and we've been having rolling blackouts all day and will have them into tomorrow cause someone screwed up the power grid.

How do you screw up power in Texas?

I've been lucky and have been getting pretty consistent power. About 45min every 2hrs +/- I've got employees who are going 4-8hrs between power. Talked to a bunch of people with frozen pipes. The power on/off is causing pool pumps to freeze too.

Cold weather is only supposed to last 1-2 days here. We're not made for an entire week! as evidenced by the lack of a fireplace in my house (which is very disconcerting right now). Not that I could actually find any wood other than furniture.

But hey, it warms my heart OT that you guys decided to suffer with us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Snow mule.jpg

My little snow mule.

Yes were supposed to get that storm also but not till Thursday/Friday.

Gaz

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
News reports says frozen wind turbines are one of the reason Texas is having power issues. Sad with all the natural gas you're sitting on.

Gaz

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Apparently they thought 2020 was over - it’s expensive to winterize power grid equipment and severe winter events in TX are so rare . . . What are the odds?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
125' of drive with a turning circle in front of the garage. Cleared 8" + from it and the front walk in 50 minutes.

When we get a winter that stays below 30 for a high, then I end up driving the snow piles. When the kids were little I would stack snow on the side yard so they had a longer sledding run.

I prefer it to stay cool, to much muck with multiple thaws in the winter. It is fun and replaces mowing, the other way I get some peace in this house. Three daughters and the wife, I am a lone buoy in an estrogen sea.

Gaz

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But hey, it warms my heart OT that you guys decided to suffer with us!
I would say suffering is not a hard enough description for what we just went through.

Ercot took us off of the rolling blackout ride, we were just cast aside and had no power for 3 days ! When the temps got back into the 40's we had 2 water mains on the island burst so no one had any water as well.

I have a small generator I have used during hurricane outages and it kept my satellite tv and heaters on so I was not totally without, have not been to the job since Friday last week, got to go in this morning and see what this camping trip has left me there.

We have suffered major property damage as well as some deaths due to the decisions made by Ercot, I hope someone is brought to task for it !

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Believe it or not, I’m now facing a decision re: shutting down part of our business because it’s too HOT!!!

AC coils burst during the cold last week so no cooling till repaired. The sun on the building this week is pushing inside tempts close to 90 and equipment/people are not happy!

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup, even this far South it is still a good idea to have the chiller water treated .... If the compressors sucked up some of the water they are prolly trashed !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts