Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont have a picture of my SFX200. but here are pics of my SF P series, and SF M-series with various heads.

60 - 120 lumens

125-200 lumens

250 lumens with anti-personnel pokey attachment

850 lumens aka the "sun"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does the gun shoot double taps with that anti-aircraft spotlight attached. Who makes the holster for it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be perfectly honest, I don't know how it shoots yet. Haven't fired it yet. Just got it last week. The lights are from my airsofting days. They are made by Surefire and designed to go onto glocks.

I'm shooting it Sunday in a shoot house. Should be interesting to see what happens.

In terms of holsters I have a Pantac smg holster that I used for my airsoft mp7. It works well or the anti aircraft light combo.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Those are some serious lights! Great pictures too - do you have a backdrop or something and a backlight? I can never take good pics of my guns...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Man, some of that stuff looks like you attached some outdoor flood lights to the gun ... seems to me to be way too much. (and must unbalance the gun terribly)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I have a light tent. I do a little bit of product photography. lighting is cheap and easy. you can use those $14 500 watt halogen work lights. two of them. and a light tent. Ikea has a kids tent. it has igloo ice printed on the front. more importantly the sides are white. then you need a backdrop. a large piece of paper ( I mean large like 6ft x 4ft) or bed sheet will work. Set the lights on either side of the tent. not too close as those lights get real hot. Also it helps if you have a camera with manual settings.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Wow, I thought I liked surefire lights

·
Premium Member
608 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Lights on your glocks my a$$. Thats a glock on your light man. Do you have to use a bipod when you shoot that thing?

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Heres my G23 in its bed time trim with its tiny(compared to the lights above) X2 light attached. It stays on the nightstand ready to go.

·
Super Moderator
6,974 Posts
I'm curious about all the light, but no lasers...

If you are going to hang all those big lights from your gun, why not add a laser, too?

Don't you worry about those lights giving away your position?

·
Registered
551 Posts
The use of white light is a very dynamic topic. Different types of people are going to use white light differently ie Civilian, military, LEO are all going to have a different use of light.

Speaking from a strictly civilian stand point, Our use of light is going to be very limited and quick. We are not going to be going through buildings searching for people and the such.

One of the most important things about defensive shooting is know your target. How can you do this in low/no light situations without a light? We all know most defensive situations usually happen very quickly, using a light is no different if it happens quickly its drawn, activated, threat assesed, delt with. the light isnt going to draw anymore fire than your muzzle blast.

if its a situation thats developing slower thats where i may decide to deploy the hand held light.

Both weapons mounted and hand held lights serve a very useful purpose. but most people dont even carry a hand held.

I tell my students all the time, one of first things you need to do if your carrying a gun is to buy a quality light and take a low/no light training class.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lasers are great but how they are integrated into the weapon is often lacking...IMO the M&P (and possibly some other similar pistols) have it made...the laser replaces the changeable grips, leaving the user with a grip that is largely unchanged from stock. I've tried the Crimson trace grips for 1911 and M&P, and you barely know they are there.

Glock, on the other hand, doesn't offer suck options...so you're stuck with a MUCH larger grip profile, which on the already large Glock grip just doesn't do it for a lot of people.

I don't think I'd bother with most other laser offerings, either. Rail mounted isn't bad, assuming it has a TLR-1/X300 style activation. Small buttons SUCK, big levers are better. But with it so close to the muzzle carbon fouling can distort the laser leading to BAD things...

The lasers that replace the rear sight are downright retarded. I played with those just this past week, IMO completely unituitive. Very small button your have to press to turn the laser on, and then it's constant on. Press it again for strobe, then again for off. It just doesn't make sense, the button is in an awful spot, and should you need the gun RIGHT NOW you'll either spend too much time screwing with the laser, or you'll just not turn it on. Plus it makes for a super busy sight picture.

As far as low light, I think it's one area that most people really need to get some training. So many rumors on the internet in regards to lights, lasers and no/low light in general. It's a real eye opener.

·
Super Moderator
6,974 Posts
The use of white light is a very dynamic topic. Different types of people are going to use white light differently ie Civilian, military, LEO are all going to have a different use of light.

Speaking from a strictly civilian stand point, Our use of light is going to be very limited and quick. We are not going to be going through buildings searching for people and the such.

One of the most important things about defensive shooting is know your target. How can you do this in low/no light situations without a light? We all know most defensive situations usually happen very quickly, using a light is no different if it happens quickly its drawn, activated, threat assesed, delt with. the light isnt going to draw anymore fire than your muzzle blast.

if its a situation thats developing slower thats where i may decide to deploy the hand held light.

Both weapons mounted and hand held lights serve a very useful purpose. but most people dont even carry a hand held.

I tell my students all the time, one of first things you need to do if your carrying a gun is to buy a quality light and take a low/no light training class.
You have a very sophisticated understanding of handgun awareness. I appreciate your sharing it.

I like high powered flashlights. I have a few LED flashlights that are powerful compared to normal flashlights, but certainly not tactical level flashlights. What would you consider a good tactical, hand help flashlight?

I would love to take a low light training class. To be honest, I have never seen a light class being offered, and never even thought about one unti I read your post. I have so much to learn...

·
Super Moderator
6,974 Posts
Lasers are great but how they are integrated into the weapon is often lacking...IMO the M&P (and possibly some other similar pistols) have it made...the laser replaces the changeable grips, leaving the user with a grip that is largely unchanged from stock. I've tried the Crimson trace grips for 1911 and M&P, and you barely know they are there.

Glock, on the other hand, doesn't offer suck options...so you're stuck with a MUCH larger grip profile, which on the already large Glock grip just doesn't do it for a lot of people.

I don't think I'd bother with most other laser offerings, either. Rail mounted isn't bad, assuming it has a TLR-1/X300 style activation. Small buttons SUCK, big levers are better. But with it so close to the muzzle carbon fouling can distort the laser leading to BAD things...

The lasers that replace the rear sight are downright retarded. I played with those just this past week, IMO completely unituitive. Very small button your have to press to turn the laser on, and then it's constant on. Press it again for strobe, then again for off. It just doesn't make sense, the button is in an awful spot, and should you need the gun RIGHT NOW you'll either spend too much time screwing with the laser, or you'll just not turn it on. Plus it makes for a super busy sight picture.

As far as low light, I think it's one area that most people really need to get some training. So many rumors on the internet in regards to lights, lasers and no/low light in general. It's a real eye opener.
I am not going to buy a laser or light initially when I buy my new Glock. I will probably buy a laser and maybe a light, but I just don't know enough about either of them to select one yet. My current favorite is the LaserMax red or uni-green lasers. Then if I want to hang a light on the laser I could, or I could leave it off.

I never thought about carbon distorting the laser... geez... That could lead to all kinds of bad things... If you aim with the laser dot and it has been distorted or reflected, the results could be catastrophic.

So many options... laser in the grips... laser on the rail... flashlight on the rail... flashlight and laser combo... night sights...

·
Registered
551 Posts
The most important thing when looking into a light for a defense use is realizing how and why your going to use it. I run a surefire x300 witha dg swicth on my 17 and carry a Surefire LX2 hand held.

Most people when looking for a defense light end up going in a wrong direction becuase of internet rumors and myths. I have been on a range with "blinding lights and disorienting strobes" and still am able to put combat accurate hits on target. Dont plan on your light blinding people or think a strobe is going to make someone pass out, it doesnt.

My choices in lights are as follows:

Im a surefire snob, i admitt it. but they have taken care of me every time ive needed them.

Surefire X300 weapons mounted light: Great durable light with good throw and decent spill. I run the Dg switch because of the easy of activation. It takes some getting used to with draws and not NDing the light but once you get it down its great. You can activate it one handed and off handed just the same. We never know when we may have to scoop up a kid and fight. traditional toggles are a pain when shooting with one hand in my opinion.

if i didnt run the x300 i would go with a streamlight tlr-1. great light very rugged.

LX2 lumamax handheld- This is a great hand held. It has a 2 stage pressure activated tail cap, push in a little its 15 lumen. push it in all the way its 200 lumen. I like it because i can use it with the 14 lumen for everyday things and not drain the battery having to use the 200 lumen setting.

You'll find that there are a lot of flashlights with multiple settings. but most you have to click to get to the settings. Some having 3 or more its a pain to get to the max setting.

another problem is people think that the more lumen the better. once again mission drives gear. If your looking for a light to put on your carbine for engagements out past 100 yards then yes.

But realistically for what we are using stay under 200. If you've every been in a house that has a lot of windows, mirrors, china cabinets, and white walls you will get splash everywhere which sucks.

A good low/no light class will cover the use of both hand helds and weapons lights and the advantages and disadvantages of each. If you can find one it will probably be one of the most advantageous classes you'll ever take. that ans close contact shooting.

X300
http://www.surefire.com/X300-LED-WeaponLight

DG switch
http://www.surefire.com/DG-Remote-Tailcap-Switch-X-Series

Surefire LX2
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main...=6&prrfnbr=24985&sesent=0,0&search_id=2160584

·
Registered
551 Posts
I am not going to buy a laser or light initially when I buy my new Glock. I will probably buy a laser and maybe a light, but I just don't know enough about either of them to select one yet. My current favorite is the LaserMax red or uni-green lasers. Then if I want to hang a light on the laser I could, or I could leave it off.

I never thought about carbon distorting the laser... geez... That could lead to all kinds of bad things... If you aim with the laser dot and it has been distorted or reflected, the results could be catastrophic.

So many options... laser in the grips... laser on the rail... flashlight on the rail... flashlight and laser combo... night sights...
lasers are another tool in the tool box. joey is right, there is no good way to mount a laser on a glock. Most of your options would take to long to activate and its a constant on.

Lasers are great for shooting around vehicles, ackawrd shooting positions and angles and are great for people that have vision problems. Say on a night stand gun and you cant get to your glasses in time.

but all to often we see people using them as a crutch instead of learning proper fundamentals.

carbon distortion sucks.

for me i would recommend a light first off. then maybe a Crimson Trace laser grip, if you can handle the bigger grip.

The laser rear sight is a cheasy gimmick that we see all the time in this industry.

·
Super Moderator
6,974 Posts

Many good thoughts about lights here. With all the different lights that attach to handguns, I never considered adding a hand held light to my setup. Now that you mention it, I can see why it might be useful to move the light independantly of the handgun for short periods of time.

I would love to take a low light training class... I have never seen one offered... Sounds like you need a Florida vacation to me... :cool:

Can you think of any books that would help? I found a book called "Fight at Night: Tools, Techniques, Tactics, and Training for Combat in Low Light and Darkness." by Andy Stanford. It looks interesting, but I'm not planning to get infrared gear and go to war. I'd just like to stay safe in a dark house if the situation merits it.

The most important thing when looking into a light for a defense use is realizing how and why your going to use it. I run a surefire x300 witha dg swicth on my 17 and carry a Surefire LX2 hand held.

Most people when looking for a defense light end up going in a wrong direction becuase of internet rumors and myths. I have been on a range with "blinding lights and disorienting strobes" and still am able to put combat accurate hits on target. Dont plan on your light blinding people or think a strobe is going to make someone pass out, it doesnt.

My choices in lights are as follows:

Im a surefire snob, i admitt it. but they have taken care of me every time ive needed them.

Surefire X300 weapons mounted light: Great durable light with good throw and decent spill. I run the Dg switch because of the easy of activation. It takes some getting used to with draws and not NDing the light but once you get it down its great. You can activate it one handed and off handed just the same. We never know when we may have to scoop up a kid and fight. traditional toggles are a pain when shooting with one hand in my opinion.

if i didnt run the x300 i would go with a streamlight tlr-1. great light very rugged.

LX2 lumamax handheld- This is a great hand held. It has a 2 stage pressure activated tail cap, push in a little its 15 lumen. push it in all the way its 200 lumen. I like it because i can use it with the 14 lumen for everyday things and not drain the battery having to use the 200 lumen setting.

You'll find that there are a lot of flashlights with multiple settings. but most you have to click to get to the settings. Some having 3 or more its a pain to get to the max setting.
What an interesting flashlight! I like that it has the momentary switches you mentioned on the end of the flashlight and the normal on off switches for both modes of operation. Found a video that shows it off:

another problem is people think that the more lumen the better. once again mission drives gear. If your looking for a light to put on your carbine for engagements out past 100 yards then yes.

But realistically for what we are using stay under 200. If you've every been in a house that has a lot of windows, mirrors, china cabinets, and white walls you will get splash everywhere which sucks.

A good low/no light class will cover the use of both hand helds and weapons lights and the advantages and disadvantages of each. If you can find one it will probably be one of the most advantageous classes you'll ever take. that ans close contact shooting.
I usually try to get flashlights with the most lumens possible, however, I have never seen flashlights as powerful as some of these Surefire lights are. Some of them are crazy bright!

I'm going to a big gun show in Tampa on August 7th (and maybe 8th). I hope to get a bit more in the loop on this kind of training.

Thanks for the links... Helps to look things up...

Surefire must maintain tight control of their lights. I looked up several sites and they were all within about one dollar of the price on the Surefire web site. Do you just buy your lights direct from Surefire?

Thanks again for all the good information!

-jb

1 - 20 of 28 Posts