Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if you've ever seen the movie Blood Diamond with Leonardo DiCaprio, but I've always been curios about the gun & knife combo his character carries throughout the film as well as his tactical.

When we first see Danny Archer (Leo's character), he's carrying a Glock 26, which I believe was confiscated after his arrest.
He later buys a Heckler & Koch USP Compact from a bartender and it is used for the remainder of the film.
He also carries a partially serrated tanto pocket knife (not sure what brand) that is used primarily as a utility, although he does use it once as a weapon.

So he carries a subcompact and later compact pistol along with a pocket knife, which seems like a normal EDC in an urban setting, say here in the states. Yet he carries this combo in an urban setting in a war torn country and also out in the jungle. Which doesn't make any sense to me, at least from a tactical perspective.

Why not carry a full size side arm and a more outdoorsy survival knife? Why also does he not carry a rifle or at least a submachine gun?

Another thing is that he will pick up an enemies rifle and use it against them, only to drop it once the engagement is over. Which also doesn't make any sense.

For those of you whom are into tactical and/or have been in the military, what are your thoughts on this?

Am I overanalyzing this? Is this just more Hollywood movie fluff? Or is there some logic behind what his character carries and does tactically in the movie?

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
He needs to watch a few John Wick movies for pointers !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure if you've ever seen the movie Blood Diamond with Leonardo DiCaprio, but I've always been curios about the gun & knife combo his character carries throughout the film as well as his tactical.

When we first see Danny Archer (Leo's character), he's carrying a Glock 26, which I believe was confiscated after his arrest.
He later buys a Heckler & Koch USP Compact from a bartender and it is used for the remainder of the film.
He also carries a partially serrated tanto pocket knife (not sure what brand) that is used primarily as a utility, although he does use it once as a weapon.

So he carries a subcompact and later compact pistol along with a pocket knife, which seems like a normal EDC in an urban setting, say here in the states. Yet he carries this combo in an urban setting in a war torn country and also out in the jungle. Which doesn't make any sense to me, at least from a tactical perspective.

Why not carry a full size side arm and a more outdoorsy survival knife? Why also does he not carry a rifle or at least a submachine gun?

Another thing is that he will pick up an enemies rifle and use it against them, only to drop it once the engagement is over. Which also doesn't make any sense.

For those of you whom are into tactical and/or have been in the military, what are your thoughts on this?

Am I overanalyzing this? Is this just more Hollywood movie fluff? Or is there some logic behind what his character carries and does tactically in the movie?
Yeah, I do think that you are kind of overanalyzing things. For a moment, look at things in a slightly different way: surreptitious rather than tactical. 'Archer' frequently moves between two different social personas. As such he carries a cheap folding blade (not an Emerson CQC-7, nor a Winchester 'Conflict' either), and either one of two different diminutive size pistols, Why? Because these sub-compact and compact size handguns are the most useful pistol choices for the duplicitous roles that Archer frequently found himself playing.

It wasn't until towards the end of the movie (one of my favorites, by the way) that Archer finally lost any and all need to pretend and robbed a CAR-15 (XM177) from Colonel Coatzee's armory tent-A weapon for which he had no subliminal contempt, sufficient ammunition, and appeared to be very familiar with. Archer continued to use this CAR-15 until he was finally KIA.

To answer the question 'Why' did Archer occasionally throw away an R.U.F. weapon after using it? In Archer's world a soldier could live or die by nothing more than the type of weapon he was seen carrying. (A dialectically opposite tactical viewpoint from Archer's usual choice of using easily concealed pistols thoroughout most of the movie.)

·
Super Moderator
3,070 Posts
I had to look up the name of the character (Black Widow) but I did remember she was carrying two G26 (could be a 27) with +0 mag extensions and it didn't seem like concealment was why she chose them (I could be wrong on that point . . . Maybe not).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
She's carrying pistols?

I didn't notice. :eek:

Gaz

·
Registered
1 Posts
Danny Archer's knife is a Winchester Conflict II.

In my opinion there is a certain logic why Archer is equipped as he is. He doesn't want to attract attention. So, after him an Solomon leave the capital, he passes as a fleeing expat among refugees. Later, when they reach Kono, he passes as a journalist. Carrying a rifle would immediately identify him as a combatant, attracting unwanted attention - and honestly what good is a rifle of a full-size handgun when the other guys have Dushkas, PKMs, RPGs and thousands of AKs? It's only near the end of the movie, when he leaves the mercs camp, that I would have imagined him taking a rifle, as he didn't know what to expect near the place where the diamond was hidden.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts