Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Glock 19 it was about 454 with tax. The guy at the store said it would take 1-2 weeks to order it from glock and this was last sunday so i should have it by next weekend. Getting really excited to own my first gun. Any recommendations on sights i was looking at some small red dot optic sights but they are a bit pricey. Are these optic sights better then the standard handgun sights?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. Novaks, heinie, Trijicon all make good sights. Most are personal preference. In most things the saying: "keep it simple stupid" is best followed.

Learn to run the gun. Ive shot pistols with Trij RMR's on them and their cool but nothing id write home to mom about. they have their place for some people but most it is an extremely expensive unnecessary addition.

Throw on some NS's and spend the rest in ammo and training.

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
Congrats on the G19. I believe you had picked an excellent firearm for your first. I own 2 of them. You will be very pleased.

On the sights, I would recommend Ameriglos. I was recommended them by good friends and I have been very happy with my set and will be ordering more for other guns. I have tried Trijicons, Heinies, etc.. and they worked as well. As Keith D mentioned, find what works best for you and spend more time practicing with the gun. The reason I specifically mentioned Ameriglos is because they have a bright orange front sight that glows green at night. The orange is very bright and picks up very easily during the day, helping you to focus on the front sight, and at night, the glowing green helps you find it too! Good luck and be safe.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Grats on the G19. Would recommend night sights also. Trijicon, Meprolight, Ameriglo, Heinie, and many more that I can't even remember of now.

·
Administrator
6,979 Posts
I bought a new Glock 19 it was about 454 with tax. The guy at the store said it would take 1-2 weeks to order it from glock and this was last sunday so i should have it by next weekend. Getting really excited to own my first gun. Any recommendations on sights i was looking at some small red dot optic sights but they are a bit pricey. Are these optic sights better then the standard handgun sights?
Welcome to the Glock.pro forums, Ibanez67... I agree with TheLaw, the Glock G19 is a great gun... Lots of us have a 19...

As far as the red dot optics go, almost all of us use standard sights... Red dot optics are good for high-end target shooting, but most of use use our Glocks for self defense and some target shooting. Hard to find a holster that fits a red dot optic or a scope.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
welcome! :) standard fixed sites are the most durable/reliable optics to use. ameriglo/trijicon/meprolight makes night sites. everyone has their own personal preference, so it doesn't matter what you go with. the only bad thing about night sites is i noticed they're very hard to pickup at the indoor range i shoot at. it's not dark enough to make them glow, and not light enough to see those tiny white outlines.

p.s. how long have you played guitar?

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Don,

Have you looked at the Ameriglos with the front orange sight?
I shot a G32 that belonged to a friend of mine and it had the Ameriglo orange front sight on it. It was awesome, really stood out. When I needed to get a replacement front for my G23 I wanted and orange front, but they couldn't be had for many long times of waiting in backorder status. So I went with a green one that has the glow stuff around it. In the day, the big white square of glow stuff makes it easy to see, and doesn't impede sight at night.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Don,

Have you looked at the Ameriglos with the front orange sight?
i have. ameriglo's site says it's sold out. they do have the orange ring ones though. i would probably get those if i were looking. only thing is, i still won't be able to see the rear dots at the indoor range lol

considering almost all armed confrontations occur pretty much "in your face", and in a split second, i don't foresee myself having the need or the time to look for the sights if i have to defend my life. so, their just not something i feel a need for. that's why i practice point shooting. drawing and firing extremely fast, and very accurately until it's instinctive is more important for me. that's just me, of course a lot of folks consider night sights mandatory :)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your purchase! Don't know what the OP's experience is but if this is the first Glock, I'd give some thought to learning how it handles and shoots first, before doing anything to it.

I'm in the stock Glock camp and haven't swapped out sights yet. For me, my idea is to spend a lot of time firing the gun before I do any modifications. "A lot of time" means thousands of dry fire, shooting at competition and range work, with some tactical classes planned every year. The most I might do is a $0.25 trigger job but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Just my opinion and YMMV

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Welcome to the forums

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your purchase! Don't know what the OP's experience is but if this is the first Glock, I'd give some thought to learning how it handles and shoots first, before doing anything to it.
I strongly agree w/ this. After you shoot awhile, you might start to like the factory sights. Sight start to get expensive once you get one set and decide you don't like then buy another.

Congratulation on your new gun. Based on my recommendation, my brother-in-law also bought a G19 for his 1st gun. You never can go wrong with a GLOCK.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.