Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, I've found an interest in the .357SIG round. I really don't know much about it, but I like the reliability of a necked-down round and the potential of 1500+ FPS. Also the fact that the Secret Service uses it as standard issue gives it some credibility.

I understand that the G22 can be converted to fire .40S&W / 10mm / .357SIG with the use of the proper barrel. What else is necessary, and is it worth a look?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I had a G23 and bought a GLOCK OEM G32 barrel so I could shoot .357sig. The mags are the same so i really didn't "need" to do anything else. The same would be the case for a G22 with G31 barrel.

If you can't find a GLOCK OEM bbl there are plenty of options for quality, reliable conversion barrels ... Lone Wolf & Storm Lake are prob the most popular. I would trust either.

Is it a good round? I think so. I like it a lot actually.

Is it worth it? I don't think so. The cost of ammo is absurd when you can find it. People used to razz me about cost & availbility of GAP ammo. That's nuts. I could always find it and never paid more than ACP. However, I had issues finding .357sig (at least finding options) and couldn't afford to buy it in bulk like I do other calibers.

If the cost was the same as any other caliber I would prob own/carry it myself. However, the increased ballistics over say a +P+ 9mm isn't enough to warrant getting one ... for me anyway. I've already read the 127gr +P+ Rangers are pretty much the same velocity as .357sig. Take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That's a very objective reply.

If I was still on-the-job, the .357Sig might be my choice for a duty round.

At this point in time, I'll just stick with the 9mm and .45acp.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
For some reason, I've found an interest in the .357SIG round. I really don't know much about it, but I like the reliability of a necked-down round and the potential of 1500+ FPS. Also the fact that the Secret Service uses it as standard issue gives it some credibility.

I understand that the G22 can be converted to fire .40S&W / 10mm / .357SIG with the use of the proper barrel. What else is necessary, and is it worth a look?

:confused:
A little history on the 357 sig round since you stated you don't know much about it. Back in the early 80s the FBI was involved in a shoot out and esentually got their butts handed to them. Back then they carried what ever they liked. Also, back then it was mostly revolvers. Some carried 357mag some carried a 38 while then again some carried something else. There also was not much emphasis on marksmanship or ammo interchanging between the agents.

This of course came up during the AAR. The FBI decided it wouldn't happen again and set out to find itself a nice duty round. The 10mm was considered for this purpose. Further testing of the 10mm reveiled issues with over penetration with caused it to be cut from consideration due to fear of hitting a innocent. Smith&Wesson took the well gambled chance of taking the 10mm and cutting it back to the 40S&W. It obviously worked well for them.

Now enter Sig. They went further in basically taking the 40 and necking it down to 9mm diameter thus coming up with the 357 Sig. That said do not try to neck down a 40cal brass to make it work as it will be a couple hundredths of a inch too long.

All that because you said you didn't know I really need to get a life.

That said I like the 357 sig round of course I also reload for it which helps alot. It is a very flat shooting, accurate, hard hitting round. I have a G32 that certainly works it's way through the off duty rotation. In fact it is probably one of the pistols I am most accurate with.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read the official FBI Miami Shootout report years ago. I believe it is probably available through the Freedom to Information Act.

The FBI had some very clear conclusions and were very honest about their own failings.

There was also an interesting shootout in the 70's with the Cal Hiway Patrol that is standard classroom lore. The bottom line is that you must be prepared for anything.

Note: the FBI victims were on assigned bank-robber duty. There was a high-probability of an encounter. Even with this known to the agents involved, they left their body armor and shotguns in the trunks of their vehicles. To me, that was the biggest mistake.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I purchased a Sig Pro in the 357 Sig way before Obama was in office. Even back then ammo was very expensive and hard to find. I sold my SIG for that reason to a buddy who reloads all the time. It is a nice round if you reload or don't mind spending a ton on ammo. I decided to purchase the Glock 23 Gen 4 which the .40 is a nice round for me and ammo is easy to find.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have the G32 and also a 40 cal LoneWolf barrell for it. I like the round and it is worth it to me, that is not to say the above arguments are not valid. But again that is my opinion only, the rounds I shoot most at the range? The 9mm and the 40.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I carry a G32 or a G36. Here is Pete's page so the sig rd is gaining with many LEA's and they all like it alot. Plus my 32 is on the same size frame as my 19's. Here is his link to Pete's Page a very good read. I certainly have appreciated the cartridge alot before i read this. "Speed" But any service caliber gun with good ammo will get the job done IMHO. I have Glock's from 9mm to 10mm and like all them alot.

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/40.357.compare.htm

·
Registered
144 Posts
my next gun will be a Glock 32
I can say this it will not dissappoint you. Mine is very accurate and totally reliable. For carry i use 125gr GoldDots and practice with Georgia Arms FMJ 125's which are not a bad price. Look forward to when you receive your 32,d

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.