Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st off, I reload and am thinking about starting to cast lead bullets for my g21. I was lookin at getting a LWD barrel. I don't have an issue with accuracy shooting the g21, but since I would be buying a barrel anyway, would a ported barrel really make a noticeable difference controlling the recoil rise compared to a non-ported barrel? Can anyone with some experience tell me your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
6,976 Posts
I've never had a ported barrel, but I would think it would make some difference or the manufacturers wouldn't bother with it...

If you're going to get a new barrel anyway... why not get a ported one if that's what you want?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only reservation is a disclaimer on LWD's website that some ported barrels can cause the front of the slide to be subject to higher heat levels which could damage night sights. I am not running night sights as of yet, but I was planning on that down the road too. It just made me think twice about it. I am just on the fence and need someone to push me over to one side or the other. I don't necessarily "want" a ported barrel, more like a why not if I am buying one anyway. I am just not sure if I should or not.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have the LW Extended ported barrel on my G30. I dont find the 45 acp recoil overly harsh, but the ported barrel does give me faster follow up shots in my opinion as it does dampen recoil somewhat. Is it worth it? That is very subjective but I am glad I bought mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had one of the first Glock 17 L's with the ported barrel. At that time I was shooting USPSA matches and major calibre loads. It made a difference in the recoil as it was felt by me. After 65K rounds the barrel broke where it was cut for the ports.

After that Glock stoped making the 17L with the ports. It really didn't make as much difference as a good compensator would, adding weight and baffled ports.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Since this appears to be the topic, has anyone considered or seen personally the muzzle flash from a ported barrel? I have heard for carry guns, ported barrels are bad because if you are shooting at night, the muzzle flash from the ports upward is blinding to the shooter. Is this true? If so, that is another consideration.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Since this appears to be the topic, has anyone considered or seen personally the muzzle flash from a ported barrel? I have heard for carry guns, ported barrels are bad because if you are shooting at night, the muzzle flash from the ports upward is blinding to the shooter. Is this true? If so, that is another consideration.
I havent fired mine in the complete darkness, only in the dim light of an indoor range ( the target area is well lit but the firing area is not) and the muzzle flash in that instance is not blinding with 45acp.

·
Super Moderator
6,976 Posts

There are lots of pictures of compensated Glocks belching flames...

·
Registered
551 Posts
here we go... you wont be shooting the gun in complete darkness... if you are your not identifying the threat, and if its complete darkness you wont know that your even on the threat. So thats a moot point.

That being said, if your shooting in low enough light to be worried about muzzle flash, your most likely employing some kind of white light to identify the threat and put accurate hits on target.

The use of the white light even from a weapons light with the bezel forward of the ports will mitigate most all of the muzzle flash.

If working with a hand held most techniques place the bezel farther back which eliminates most if not all flash, even with a ported barrel. Especially so with the neck index technique....

So in short... if your using white light the way you should be...no a ported barrel has no effect on shooting in low/no light conditions.

·
Registered
432 Posts
here we go... you wont be shooting the gun in complete darkness... if you are your not identifying the threat, and if its complete darkness you wont know that your even on the threat. So thats a moot point.

That being said, if your shooting in low enough light to be worried about muzzle flash, your most likely employing some kind of white light to identify the threat and put accurate hits on target.

The use of the white light even from a weapons light with the bezel forward of the ports will mitigate most all of the muzzle flash.

If working with a hand held most techniques place the bezel farther back which eliminates most if not all flash, even with a ported barrel. Especially so with the neck index technique....

So in short... if your using white light the way you should be...no a ported barrel has no effect on shooting in low/no light conditions.
Thanks Keith, I hadnt thought about the use of a hand held light mitigating the flash and even in the situation I quoted above, there really wasnt that much flash.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
the problem with that explaination is that relies on best case scenarios. Sure we can all prepare and hope to have white light available, but you are trying to draw conclusions in your head and in a lab-type environment. There may be an instance with no light or not much and you are under attack. You may be able to identify your target via a little brief light, or even by voice or something else, and be in a position to have to defend yourself in very low light. You are assuming all of your variables, and that is a bad thing to do when considering self-defense. I'll tell you one thing, if I am attacked from behind and stabbed with a knife in an area with no light, I guarantee I am shooting the attacker, light or no light. I'm not waiting around for better conditions to identify the threat. Being stabbed is identification enough. If a ported barrel provides a flash of very bright light in your eyes it could be bad. Always be prepared doesn't just apply to picking your gear, but you must also consider all scenarios, and you are ignoring many possibilities that can happen in the real world.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I believe it comes down to your intended use of the gun. If it is a range gun, the ported barrel might be worth it for "uniqueness"... If it's going to be used for carry or self defense, I can think of a couple of reasons to think about. I have a friend that has a ported G22 that he wanted to use to shoot jack rabbits from his truck. He would drive around till he found those rascally rabbits and shoot out his truck window. When he got his ported barrel, first thing he noticed was debris on top of his door frame. No biggie, it's a truck. Right.... until his window molding fell out burned clean through.

Since you reload, another concern is with lead boolits, between the lube and depending on the powders you use, your front sight just might disappear in short order. Most of my powders I use for .45 are pretty dirty, especially if I'm shooting lead.

Whatever you decide, let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
432 Posts
OK, I will hope not to get stabbed in the back in the complete dark and I promise not to shoot out the truck window at rabbits.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe it comes down to your intended use of the gun. If it is a range gun, the ported barrel might be worth it for "uniqueness"... If it's going to be used for carry or self defense, I can think of a couple of reasons to think about. I have a friend that has a ported G22 that he wanted to use to shoot jack rabbits from his truck. He would drive around till he found those rascally rabbits and shoot out his truck window. When he got his ported barrel, first thing he noticed was debris on top of his door frame. No biggie, it's a truck. Right.... until his window molding fell out burned clean through.

Since you reload, another concern is with lead boolits, between the lube and depending on the powders you use, your front sight just might disappear in short order. Most of my powders I use for .45 are pretty dirty, especially if I'm shooting lead.

Whatever you decide, let us know how it works out.
You touched on my biggest concerns. I don't carry my G21 for SD anymore since I have my G30. It would primarily serve as a range weapon. As I posted early on in the thread, I read that ported barrels can be hard on the front sight. I don't want to destroy a perfectly good set of sights just to experiment with a different barrel. I do reload, and leading is a consideration as well. I think I will stick with a regular barrel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a Glock 17 with a factory ported barrel. I loved it. I did shoot it at night and the flash was not a problem at all. It does allow for faster follow up shots for sure. I never carried it for the concern that if I every had to pull my firearm in a confined space where I couldn't get it out away from my face I didn't want to burn myself.

·
Registered
551 Posts
the problem with that explaination is that relies on best case scenarios. Sure we can all prepare and hope to have white light available, but you are trying to draw conclusions in your head and in a lab-type environment. There may be an instance with no light or not much and you are under attack. You may be able to identify your target via a little brief light, or even by voice or something else, and be in a position to have to defend yourself in very low light. You are assuming all of your variables, and that is a bad thing to do when considering self-defense. I'll tell you one thing, if I am attacked from behind and stabbed with a knife in an area with no light, I guarantee I am shooting the attacker, light or no light. I'm not waiting around for better conditions to identify the threat. Being stabbed is identification enough. If a ported barrel provides a flash of very bright light in your eyes it could be bad. Always be prepared doesn't just apply to picking your gear, but you must also consider all scenarios, and you are ignoring many possibilities that can happen in the real world.
how many low light classes have you taken and instructed? How many different pistols have you shot both prted and no ported in different kinds of lighting, outdoor/indoors?

I only ask this because i really dont like having conversation on a given topic where the person debating the fact has gotten their info from the wonders of the interwebz. i much prefer talking to people knowledgeable on the subject because they have experienced it first hand. Or genuinely want to learn something.

About having white light available: They're called weapons lights... a recent invention in the defensive shooting world but a major one.... always there and in serviceable condition dont add any negatives.

Target identification: you are doing exactly what your accusing my of. Yeah shooting blindly at a silhouette of an attacker is great if your in a dark alley with no one else around... what happens if there are other people around for whatever reason and you cant be sure who did it? obviously rolling around the ground with someone that trying to kill you is identification, but there are still a million other things that can happen.

You can what if all day long. Good SA is paramount but cant prevent everything. a good weapons light for instant target identification and shot surety of shot placement is key.

Personally, Ive taken numerous low/no light classes as well as instructed the same. Ive shot almost every kind of pistol/ carbine with every kind of port/break/ ect.

They do not lend themselves to the problems most people assume they would. Even without the use of white light, yes there is muzzle flash, but enough to seriously impair your vision and keep you from getting accurate hits on target? no... we are talking about quick burst of light, not a blinding beam projected straight into our eyes.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
how many low light classes have you taken and instructed? How many different pistols have you shot both prted and no ported in different kinds of lighting, outdoor/indoors?

I only ask this because i really dont like having conversation on a given topic where the person debating the fact has gotten their info from the wonders of the interwebz. i much prefer talking to people knowledgeable on the subject because they have experienced it first hand. Or genuinely want to learn something.
And how many times have you been attacked from behind in a dark alley by an unknown assailant who used deadly force against you? The point is that we don't have to have gone through a scenario to ponder them and seek out ways to be prepared.

About having white light available: They're called weapons lights... a recent invention in the defensive shooting world but a major one.... always there and in serviceable condition dont add any negatives.
I have a light for my carry glock, however, they are not always available, it could malfunction, it isn't always practical to carry at all times, etc... There could be a million reasons why I wouldn't have white light available and the fact that you ignore them proves to me why your conclusions are so much based on only a few scenarios and not all possibilities.

Target identification: you are doing exactly what your accusing my of. Yeah shooting blindly at a silhouette of an attacker is great if your in a dark alley with no one else around... what happens if there are other people around for whatever reason and you cant be sure who did it? obviously rolling around the ground with someone that trying to kill you is identification, but there are still a million other things that can happen.
LOL this is EXACTLY my point. There ARE some scenarios where you would be in an alley with no one around. I am not saying every scenario, but pointing out that there are scenarios where you would be in the dark and still shooting an attacker.

You can what if all day long. Good SA is paramount but cant prevent everything. a good weapons light for instant target identification and shot surety of shot placement is key.
Correction: You SHOULD what if all day long. We should all prepare for all scenarios, even those where we don't have our weapon light as an option, or the best target identification is that the only guy behind you just stabbed you.

Personally, Ive taken numerous low/no light classes as well as instructed the same. Ive shot almost every kind of pistol/ carbine with every kind of port/break/ ect.

They do not lend themselves to the problems most people assume they would. Even without the use of white light, yes there is muzzle flash, but enough to seriously impair your vision and keep you from getting accurate hits on target? no... we are talking about quick burst of light, not a blinding beam projected straight into our eyes.
A quick burst of blinding light is often much worse for night vision than a steady beam. And since we are talking about split-second life or death scenarios, even an instant of blindness can make all the difference.

You are really being willfully blind to the possibilities that exist in order to hold to your position that is based on MOST of the possibilities. I am not talking about "most of the time" but am simply speaking of what COULD be, because what could be, might actually be some day, and if that day comes, I'm going to be prepared. You keep relying on your gun light and ignore all other possibilities, but when the time comes and your gun light stops working, where will you be then?

·
Registered
551 Posts
And how many times have you been attacked from behind in a dark alley by an unknown assailant who used deadly force against you? The point is that we don't have to have gone through a scenario to ponder them and seek out ways to be prepared.
Actually a few times, not a dark alley but very similar. you?

I have a light for my carry glock, however, they are not always available, it could malfunction, it isn't always practical to carry at all times, etc... There could be a million reasons why I wouldn't have white light available and the fact that you ignore them proves to me why your conclusions are so much based on only a few scenarios and not all possibilities.
There are always extremes and we try to plan even for events very much unlikely to happen. But i can say that I have an x300 that has been attached for hundreds of thousands of rounds down range, its been dropped, submerged, frozen ect and it still works just fine. and if it ever doesnt, thats what a hand held is for..2 is 1 and 1 is none.

And im not ignoring anything, why would you make the choice to even go out without your WL or HHL? thats a choice YOU make. I cant think of a situation that you would be able to carry your pistol but not be able to have light of some sort. Unless you made the choice not to have it.

LOL this is EXACTLY my point. There ARE some scenarios where you would be in an alley with no one around. I am not saying every scenario, but pointing out that there are scenarios where you would be in the dark and still shooting an attacker.
i actually agreed with you, if im in a dark alley and get attacked and spin around to just one person, light is PROBABLY a moot point at best.

Correction: You SHOULD what if all day long. We should all prepare for all scenarios, even those where we don't have our weapon light as an option, or the best target identification is that the only guy behind you just stabbed you.
Yes the possibility at some point, somewhere, sometime you might have to shoot in very low light with out using white light. and its doable. once again why is not having a light an option. it should be apart of your standard EDC kit.

A quick burst of blinding light is often much worse for night vision than a steady beam. And since we are talking about split-second life or death scenarios, even an instant of blindness can make all the difference.
Actually no, a stead beam of light allows the pupil to dilate quicker and more wide, allowing more light into the eye hitting the retina. The retina is made up of rods and cones. laymen's terms, we use more cones in light and use more rods in darkness. A steady beam of light gives the eye more time to switch from using the rods to now using the cones. Which kills your night adapted vision. The human eye switches faster from night vision to light than from light to darkness.

So no a short flash is not nearly detrimental to your night vision as a steady beam....

You are really being willfully blind to the possibilities that exist in order to hold to your position that is based on MOST of the possibilities. I am not talking about "most of the time" but am simply speaking of what COULD be, because what could be, might actually be some day, and if that day comes, I'm going to be prepared. You keep relying on your gun light and ignore all other possibilities, but when the time comes and your gun light stops working, where will you be then?
you for some reason are trying to make assumptions on what and how I train. I train for almost every kind of scenario that I can think of armed/unarmed, low light close quarters/ partners/teams/ wounded/ protection roles/ ect and have training certs from the best companies in the united states...

Much of this is a test of what you personally decide. I decide to have both a WL and HHL at my disposal. I have trained in shooting with out both as we are very very rarely in a position where we are in absolute darkness. I give myself as many tools to use at my disposal and have trained to use them accordingly...

Once again to keep this thread somewhat on track... I have shot numerous ported pistols, both indoor and out door, in dim light to almost complete darkness, in multiple calibers, and it does not effect your ability to place accurate hits on target...

the low/no light classes that you must have taken should have covered this and demonstrated it... if not you might want to get your money back....

·
Registered
779 Posts
I think (Take it for what its worth).... the majority of firearms out there are not ported. I would think it would be better to train and carry a gun that was not ported so you are not handicapping yourself in the event you ever had to use a non-ported, full recoil firearm.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts