Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year guys...I'm fairly new to pistols/handguns...ive only been to the range a handful of times...each time i shot a 357 revolver, a 22, 9mm etc. I'm about to purchase my first handgun and a buddy of mine recommended getting a Glock 31 .357 sig (he uses one on the job).

What are your thoughts on the 31 for someone with my limited experience? What ammo do you recommend and is it available online? Some people I talk to say the ammo availability might be an issue. I'll be using it at the range and want something thats good for home protection. Just looking to get some opinions. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

As far as the 357 sig goes, availability locally might be an issue for you but you should be able to buy it online from any number of places. I try to buy most all my ammo online because you can always find much better prices, especially when you are looking at buying bulk. Where you might have an issue is if you need to grab a quick box to go shoot and can't find any.

As far as what's best or great for home protection/range you're going to get a varying opinion. I like to shoot and practice as much as I can, which hasn't been much lately but with that in mind, 9mm is cheaper in many cases than .45 ACP, or .45 GAP. I like the .45 GAP round and own one of GLOCKs .45 GAP pistols but I don't shoot it anywhere near as much as I do the 9mm versions I own. This may be the same situation with the .357 sig although I don't own one so I don't have any reference for ammo cost. Just taking a quick glance, it appears that for Full Metal Jacket (range ammo) 9mm is about half what .357 sig cost but I spent about 10 seconds looking that up so it may be able to be found cheaper.

Protection wise, you'll hear some people say that 9mm isn't powerful enough. It is my opinion that with today's "quality" modern defense ammo, 9mm is plenty powerful enough. As I said, I have carried .45 ACP as well as the .45 GAP, and for me, I'd rather have the larger capacity that the 9mm offers that to carry the larger projectile. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I don't own a .357sig, but I do own a G22 and have looked at a conversion barrel. My local Wally world carries Winchester white box for the .357sig in stock. Like The Law said buying bulk online is normally cheaper, but being on a fixed budget with child support and living alone its hard to drop a large lump of cash on ammo at one time. I reload so your mileage will vary. Exotic calibers like the .357sig and the 10mm will always be more expensive to shoot. If you don't have any preconcieved notions leaning you towards the the sig, I would recommend the 9mm as well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I once owned a Glock 31 .357 Sig but it got stolen; then it got recovered; and now it resides in a nearby PD property room pending the outcome of a home invasion case. I may get it back yet. I did replace it with a Glock 32 .357 Sig. I pay anywhere from $22.00 to $26.00 per box for target ammo at the local ranges. I have never priced SD type ammo for it, as I only use it to shoot targets at long range. The .357 Sig is one flat shooting cartridge.

I pay about the same price for 10mm ammo for my S&W 1006. I do not practice with it enough.

I rotate a few different 9mm pistols as carry guns, mainly I use a Sig P228 or Glock 26.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I once owned a Glock 31 .357 Sig but it got stolen; then it got recovered; and now it resides in a nearby PD property room pending the outcome of a home invasion case. I may get it back yet. I did replace it with a Glock 32 .357 Sig. I pay anywhere from $22.00 to $26.00 per box for target ammo at the local ranges. I have never priced SD type ammo for it, as I only use it to shoot targets at long range. The .357 Sig is one flat shooting cartridge.

I pay about the same price for 10mm ammo for my S&W 1006. I do not practice with it enough.

I rotate a few different 9mm pistols as carry guns, mainly I use a Sig P228 or Glock 26.
Thanks for the feedback CBH. Sorry to hear your 31 got stolen. Hope everything works out for you man. How did you like the G31?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't have the G31 but I do have the G33 which is the same size as the G26. I love the 357 Sig round. Its really is a blast to shoot. Ammo is available at local stores but expensive. Online, I get it for $18 for a box of 50. Not too bad but you do have shipping on top of that.
I carry mine daily and keep it loaded with 125 grain Speer Gold Dots. Those are usually $25 for a box of 20.

The .357 Sig is more snappy and louder than my .40 S&W G22 but its not bad at all.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
The 357 Auto (SIG) round is one of my favorites. I have the G31 along with the G33 and they are in my CCW rotation. I find the 357 auto more pleasant to shoot (less snappy, more blast) than the 40cal. Keep in mind that recoil is subjective.

I would reccomend the G 31 for SD over the 9mm, of course this is another subjective and arguable topic.

You can always buy a 9mm conversion barrel and mags to practice later on.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I liked the Glock 31, it was the second Glock I ever bought. The first Glock was a Gen. I Glock 17 I bought used on Christmas Eve the year before the Brady Bill. I got a paper bag full of mags for it too. I kept that pistol a few months and shot it some, then sold it as I did not warm up to it. I gave the spare mags to a LEO friend. Then came the Brady Bill, and those mags were worth a small fortune, LOL!!

I bought the G31 just to shoot at targets at 100 yards. I enjoy popping 2 liter soda bottles at long range, and gallon paint cans filled with sand or gravel are easy to hit too. I carried it a few times, but usually carried a S&W #908 9mm at that time. I later sold that and bought a S&W #3913, which I liked less than the #908. Swapped the #3913 for a Gen. II Glock 17 which I really like.

If the cost of ammo doesn't scare you away from a .357 Sig, you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Personally I'd go with a Glock 17 or 19 9mm. Why, you ask? Because 1. ammo is cheap and common and that helps when you want to practice. (which if this is a home defense or personal carry gun you need to practice ALOT) 2. 9mm is plenty powerful enough for a defense caliber and on top of that the G17 has 17 rounds in one mag and a G19 has 15 rounds in a mag. That alone is enough stopping power for an assailant/intruder 3. Buying GLOCKS is an addiction! Your first GLOCK you buy will NOT be your last! Welcome to the forum by the way! Hope you enjoy it and learn a lot about shooting and Glock pistols.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The thing is, you can shoot .40s&w out of your 31 with just a barrel swap. 9mm with a Lone wolf conversion barrel and 9mm magazines..... And .22 with an Advantage Arms kit.... So 4 calibers, one gun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts