Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,527 Posts
Seems what they are implying is, the best round is HP that still provides decent penetration, but FMJ is actually better than HP that doesn't penetrate that well ? (assuming the same caliber).
Exactly. Wound channels and vital organ damage is all well and good, but in order to STOP a threat, ONE SHOT, you have to acheieve a spinal shot or a shot to the snot locker (mid-brain). You HAVE to have pentration. A lot of JHPs expand too rapidly and just dont penetrate enough. I would carry FMJs/TMJs over many of the available JHP rounds. Obviously, the downside to that is OVER pentration, so it is extremely important to find an effective JHP. Anyway, that is my understanding and my belief on the issue. Interesting read non-the-less.

· Registered
1,527 Posts
Yeah I think that was the basic conclusion. You need at least 12 inches of penetration. If you're JHP doesn't get that, then it is not good. If you can get that, obviously expansion will make it better than FMJ with the same penetration. They also debunk most worries about overpenetration (at least in a law enforcement context).

I also found the part about temporary cavity interesting, because I always assumed that even for handguns, the temporary cavity would do damage.
+1. I believe that in many cases, over penetration is not AS much of an issue as people make out. Ballistic gel has it place...but it does not have bone, hard muscle tissue, etc. Also, I have heard from MANY different sources that the temporary cavity is absolutely negligible. It happens to fast for the body to even notice or react.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.