Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After talking to some of the other folks on site whose opinion I respect I decided to go ahead and post this.

The huge buzz in Corporate Security is all the "active shooter" situations and how they are being addressed in everything from high rise office buildings to museums. With all of the LE shootings, etc. we have been inundated with some decent, but mostly useless stuff from DHS. Even though I've never met any of you I do have a comradeship and felt it was important to pass this on.

As a caring human I know how each of us would like to "think" we'd respond, but the security professional in me says something completely different. All of us who carry need to learn that if the one in a million occurs and your in the mall, the bank, wherever, you need to take shelter in place with as many people as you can get, and if the shooter approaches then, yes, do what you have to do. But by no means play Rambo or go looking for the problem, chances are that you will be shot by the responding officers.

I was in LE, SWAT, UC, for a number of years, believe me when I say that if you are in an active engagement when they make entry, you may not hear the words "drop the weapon". Stay safe.

TimD

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
All of us who carry need to learn that if the one in a million occurs and your in the mall, the bank, wherever, you need to take shelter in place with as many people as you can get, and if the shooter approaches then, yes, do what you have to do. But by no means play Rambo or go looking for the problem, chances are that you will be shot by the responding officers.
Very good advice. Thanks for the reminder. This is the kind of thing I have played in my mind many, many times.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I 100% agree with the topic and I too have played this type of situation in my mind many times operating both as an on duty LEO and off duty. If I am out in public with my family and I am confronted with an active shooter type situation, my 1st priority will be my family's safety and then my 2nd would being the best witnesses I can be. Now as mentioned, if the shooter approaches, I will do what I have to.

I have been in a stressful situations where things were active and guns were out. Those off duty officers and plain clothes officers who did respond were professional and knowledgeable enough to either clear over the radio and advise they were in the area or standby in the back ground until uniformed officers took care of business.

I have seen ads in gun magazines selling lanyards or banners that you throw over you that read Law Enforcement, CCW, Security, etc. While these seem like good ideas, the bad guys can buy these just as easy as the good guys.

I have never been in a text book active shooter situation and hope never to be God willing. We can only train and practice so if that day ever does come will be able to do what needs to be done what ever that may be.

Always carry and stay safe out there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.