Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the movies and on TV how the actors 'conceal' their weapons? For instance on NCIS Los Angeles, the actors wear tight t Shirts or tank tops and snug fitting jeans, and run, jump, fight, etc and never any bulges at the waist line, yet when a weapon is needed a full size service weapon materializes when they reach behind their backs along with extra mags and handcuffs when needed.

Of course we all know that the action stops between scenes and the weapons are placed where needed. I witnessed this first hand as an extra on 'Walker Texas Ranger' back in 1995. The only actor on that show that wore his weapon whenever filming was ongoing was 'Trevett', I was told he was a 'method' actor that really put himself in the scenes and had his weapon on even when concealed under a coat.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Yeah that and the fact that they rack the slide every time. Drives me bonkers.... :)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Yeah that and the fact that they rack the slide every time. Drives me bonkers.... :)
It all drives me nuts to the point I can hardly watch TV sometimes. In turn I drive my wife nuts groaning about the glaring mistakes. I've caught her though questioning some of the LE "tactics" at times though on entries and such. I will say she must pay more attention when I talk then I initially thought. Sometimes I pause the DVR and quiz her on what just happened. I'll say, "Did you see that? What did they do wrong/right and why?" She finds this game less fun than I do. :p

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I especially like when an actor pulls out a Glock and there is a 'cocking' sound, or when they are about to make an entry and they check to see if their weapon is loaded?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I especially like when an actor pulls out a Glock and there is a 'cocking' sound, or when they are about to make an entry and they check to see if their weapon is loaded?
Those bother me too, esp the press check. I do that when I first load a weapon but don't press check each time I pull it out. If you did it when you first mounted up where do you suspect that round went while in the holster?

They do that on CHASE all the time. It also drives me crazy the GLOCK Frost carries appears to have a polished barrel in it. It could be lighting but I have noticed it several times. On one front I give them credit for her actually carrying the exact same prop weapon in different episodes. On the other it drives me nuts as a FED issued weapon would prob NEVER have a mod'd bbl like that. I checked into ICE jobs once and was reading their weapons policy and it was nuts. Anything personally owned for off-duty carry had to be shipped to their armory for inspection and couldn't be mod'd at all. I could have the specifics off on that but that's how I recall it at the time. I don't know if they actually "do" that though.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It's not all that hard to understand........ it's the difference between being a professional, and the rest of us.

I thought I detected a gun on the red-headed NCIS Director during a particular episode. Turns out I was wrong. It was just a boob.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
YES, YES, thank you, finally I know someone else who notices that. It drives me nuts. Especially in "Alias" Jennifer Garners character carried a GLOCK in almost every episode of the whole series and ever time she pulled it out, there was a [email protected] hammer "cocking" sound.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It also drives me crazy the GLOCK Frost carries appears to have a polished barrel in it. It could be lighting but I have noticed it several times. On the other it drives me nuts as a FED issued weapon would prob NEVER have a mod'd bbl like that.
They probably polished it to make it show up better on camera. That is why you often see Glcoks with hardchromed slides or stainless guns used. When the Crocket character in Miami Vice switched to the Bren Ten, the harchromes the slide for that very reason.

On the other it drives me nuts as a FED issued weapon would prob NEVER have a mod'd bbl like that. I checked into ICE jobs once and was reading their weapons policy and it was nuts. Anything personally owned for off-duty carry had to be shipped to their armory for inspection and couldn't be mod'd at all. I could have the specifics off on that but that's how I recall it at the time. I don't know if they actually "do" that though.
You are correct. I have a buddy at the Secret Service that purchased an agency approved Sig 232 for back-up and off-duty carry. As soon as he bought it he had to ship it to the agency armorer for inspection before he could carry it. The policy was so strict that if he had lost a grip screw, it was to be sent to the armorer for replacement and inspection. Crazy huh?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I see many actors (in the role of po-po), wearing their outside-the-waistband holsters too far forward. They place what looks like a paddle holster in front of the point of the hip. This has become more commonplace. I am not sure if the director is trying to emphasize the gun (and its "authoritah") or if they're just clueless.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Those Glocks rattle too much!

Just the other day I was watching "In Plain Sight" and one character's Glock sprouted the clicking sound of a single action revolver being cocked! It was truly amazing.

·
None
1,525 Posts
ECDs also don't render people unconscious. Getting DNA is measured in months and not minutes. Phone records take a couple of a weeks unless the involved parties will log into their account and show them to us. Shooting somebody means riding the pine for a while and not immediately going back on duty. Paperwork...

·
Registered
252 Posts
It's not all that hard to understand........ it's the difference between being a professional, and the rest of us.

I thought I detected a gun on the red-headed NCIS Director during a particular episode. Turns out I was wrong. It was just a boob.
Yeah, she keeps 'em tucked in her waistband. Easy mistake to make

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I see many actors (in the role of po-po), wearing their outside-the-waistband holsters too far forward. They place what looks like a paddle holster in front of the point of the hip. This has become more commonplace. I am not sure if the director is trying to emphasize the gun (and its "authoritah") or if they're just clueless.
There are some big named shooters that carry forward, almost appendix carry but I agree it just looks stupid on these actors.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I've never figured out how they get that sound of the slide being racked by simply putting their hand on the gun.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, there was a scene in Flashpoint where a bad cop was going to kill the guy that killed his son. The flashpoint team was supposed to be protecting the killer on way to trial. The bad cop is in the locker room, grabs his gun racks the slide and holsters it. Next scene as he approches the ambush point he draws his gun, and racks the slide AGAIN. I wish the director would insert a quick cut to he floor showing the live round bouncing on the floor.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Actors and guns, sheesh ! My wife gets upset with me all the time as I look for flaws every time I watch a show. However if I had a six pack like some of these guys, I wouldn't wear a shirt at all and would move to an open carry state.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Let's not forget cocking the hammer on a 1911,after they are already pointing it at the bad guy.
Don't forget the " make sure the safety is off " when they give a lady a Glock. Can't recall the movie.
What also gets me is when an officer is in full uniform and his gun belt is above his trouser belt .ie the keepers are just on the gun belt not around the 2 belts .Like the old t.v. show chips and others .You would see them rip the gun belt off and jump in the water to save someone and the one not getting in would be holding the belt,and sure enough you could see the keepers still on it.
Can't forget the mag pouches with no mags in them.You can see from the side.
I was watching the first episode of blue bloods and you could see that there glocks did not have a mag in them.

The one that gets me the most is when an actor puts a new mag in and needs to only fire one shot ( per the script ) ,and the slide locks back.This just tells you the set armorer is not on his game.Becouse if he was he would have put 2 blanks in so it would not lock to the rear.

Recoil is another,like in the movie shoot em up.The bad guy has a 50 cal desert eagle,but when he shoots it,you would think it was a 22lr. ( props you got to love them )
I also love that perfect shot to a cable holding a chandelier or what not that is taken while falling out of mid air,after running into a sideways jump while being shot at.

I could go on but................its just a movie.:rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.