Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any advise on fed. hydro shocks. i have been using them in my 21 but havn't been able to shoot in a while. when i bought them they were the shizit then .what's the hot load for personal protection now ?

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
I was not impressed with the Hyrda Shocks, both in tests I've seen on the interweb as well as up close and personal testing I witnessed where we shot them into watermelons, along with a few other brands. I don't carry them anymore.

My personal preference, in any caliber would be one of the following;

Federal HSTs
Winchester Ranger +p
Speer Gold Dots.

Those are going to give you the best expansion and stopping power for a self defense round.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We issued Federal Hydra-Shok's at my previous agency in 9mm, .40 and .45. We shot several people during that time and experienced good results. I specifically recall shootings with both 9mm and .45, no specific recollection of anyone shot with .40 S&W. One suspect was shot mid-abdomen area with two rounds of .45acp HS, fell exactly where he was shot and died where he fell. Shootings with the 9mm variety resulted in stops as well. The agency has since switched to .45 GAP as primary issue, not sure what flavor of bullet they are issuing.

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
Bodyarmorguy,

Can you repeat your last sentence in the above post for Don Glock as he has a hard time reading.... :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bodyarmorguy,

Can you repeat your last sentence in the above post for Don Glock as he has a hard time reading.... :)
LOL....If I may elaborate.....I was a Lieutenant at the time of my retirement and I ran the firearms program. Shortly before I retired, the Chief had attended a Chief's conference somewhere....because that is what they do. anyhow, between rounds of golf, I am guessing that the Glock rep grabbed him up and bent his ear about the cartridge giving all the benefits of the .45 ACP cartridge with the capacity and grip of the 9mm/.40 guns. Okay. So the Chief decides that he wants to be the first agency in FL to issue this gun/cartridge combo.

A committee is formed, help me now God, and he tells the committee that he wants us to examine all weapons platforms and calibers, but a the end he wants Glocks in .45GAP. Now, I would show up at these meetings where he would be present, carrying a Wilson CQB adorned with a set of Ivory grips which had been scrimshawed with the image of the Grim Reaper, just to piss him off.

It is my understanding from my contacts still at the PD, that they have had a great deal of difficulty locating large lots of any one particular .45GAP and that they officers are carrying a hodge podge of different loads on the street. I am not sure of what testing they have done to select the loads being issued. The only other agency in the state that I know for sure to issue the .45GAP....Florida Highway Patrol is making the transition right now. I am guessing that is going to make it harder to secure ammo for my old agency.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.