Glock Pro Forums banner

How do you test spring strength?

8K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Don Glock 
#1 ·
There's been some discussion in this forum about various Recoil Spring Assemblies, and for both the Glock and other pistols I probably own a dozen recoil springs of varying "weights". Luckily, they're all in packages that are labeled with their weight. If they all fell out on the floor, I don't know how I'd sort them out.

I've always wondered how you could go about actually testing the strength of a spring. For RSAs, we're interested in compression strength, but the other side of the coin is extension strength. Those are my terms, there may be more correct ways to describe the strengths.

Does anyone know, or has anyone done this without the really expensive lab equipment that seems to be required?

If you have a reliable method, I'd sure like to know about it.

Chris

#2 ·
Seems like you'd need something similar to the tool you use to check valve spring pressures.

You'd also need to know the length the spring was going to compress to.

#3 ·
some folks like to check their glock recoil spring strength by pointing the gun up (unloaded of course lol), and easing the slide forward slowly, letting go when there's no more forward tension left. then they look to see if the slide did indeed go fully forward into battery.

i've never done this, as glock recoil springs are $7, and i replace them sooner than recommended anyway. why not? they're cheap :)

#7 ·
Wonder if it has something to do with the "Free Rat Ta Tat Tat!!!" from StayStrappt up in the chatbox. This is getting out of hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.