Super Moderator
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

How desperate are you for primers?

Desperate enough to reload them?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Not that desperate yet but this could be a fun experiment.
Thanks for the post.

Gaz

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
A good boy scout is always prepared, have a few places bookmarked for pricing, to buy some caps ....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ve been looking at this possibility. I have thousands of spent primers near my reloading bench. Removing the dent left by the firing pin should only take a hard surface and a proper sized flat tip punch.

Replacing and reshaping the anvil could be tricky. Reshaping an old punch and drilling a depression in a piece of metal to tap it and shape it, I think would work.

Primer compound? Is there a formula to make your own with easy to get materials? I looked at the match head option and I haven’t done the math, but how many matches would it take to make one primer and what would it cost? There has to be something cheaper and easier.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went back and watched the video after my last post. After watching it I was thinking of easier ways to do this. I have a small Lee press. Someone with machining skill could fabricate a shell holder with a flat smooth surface and make a flat tipped punch from the cheap Lee universal de primer dies. The punch assembly is removable.

I didn’t see him reshape the anvils, so that could be why he had the misfires. Instead of scissors, I’d sharpen the edges of a 22 case or something like a leather punch to cut the caps to the proper size.

Something to think about.

·
Super Moderator
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think this was more of a 'can we do it' video... Not necessarily a lets reload a hundred primers...

I was surprised that the caps were powerful enough to light the powder and shoot the bullets... Very creative... He gets an 'A' for effort in my book...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
A good boy scout is always prepared, have a few places bookmarked for pricing, to buy some caps ....
Care to share that? That along with Firecop's idea of making a punch to cut the caps I give this a try. I would try a roll pin punch, the flat punch didn't seem to a very good job.

Gaz

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Thanks Ot, it will give something to do when I go back north later this month. I still have worms to drown in Florida before I leave.

Gaz

·
Registered
6,198 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Thanks again

Gaz

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was thinking of trying some muzzle reloader caps, not sure if they will fit in the primer pocket but its worth a try

1 - 13 of 13 Posts