Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a LOT of posts, I finally decided that what I really wanted for my first Glock(s). So . . . I purchased a new G19 Gen 4, a new G17 Gen 4, a new Streamlight TLR-1 flashlight (thanks to "TheLaw" for the tip), and I used my old S&W 67 revolver and my Winchester 1300 Defender shotgun as trade.

I've searched but did not find an answer to this question: When using my Glocks as home defense weapons, my guess is that I should leave the guns with full magazines, nothing in the chambers, and not cocked.

Is that right? :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
The answer to this question depends on you. Personally, I don't have any firearms that are loaded without a round in the chamber. Some people feel leaving a round out of the chamber for a home defense weapon will make it safer if they have children, etc.. I disagree with this train of thought and suggest anyone with kids should have their firearms locked away so that the children cannot access them. There are plenty of options that will keep firearms out of the reach of children, yet still quickly accessible for you if/when needed.

If you ever come to a point where you need to use your firearm in a life or death event, your fine motor skills are going to be gone, your heart rate will be through the the roof and everything you do will need to be gross motor skills. Training with your firearms will help you in these scary times but it's my opinion that having a round in the chamber and ready to go is one less thing to have to worry about. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
TheLaw's post is much more eloquent than anything I could type out.

All I can say is, "It depends." Keep in mind there is NEVER any BEST answer to a question like yours. Any answer is dependent on your personal factors, including but not limited to; experience/skill level, kids/not, others in house/not, etc.

The best advice I can give you is to seek out professional firearms training. That sounds like a cop out answer but I am serious. I think I have a BLOG entry about my feelings on firearms training. I will go look for it to link.

EDIT: Here you go ...
http://glock.pro/entry.php/16-The-importance-of-TRAINING-…-as-I-see-it.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Yes, train, train and then get some more training. No one can ever have enough training in my opinion. Every time I have seen any type of firearms training, I have learned something. I plan on doing much more training soon.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
If it is on my side or on duty at home it has a round in the chamber and a topped off mag.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have 3 full mags with none of them in the weapon!!! They are close by for me to insert and sling shot. A round in the chamber is just not a good idea for me. I use the Israeli Instinctive Shooting Technique.

·
Registered
252 Posts
All our home defense weapons have one in the chamber whether it's my G30 or my 357, or the 22 magnum. The shotgun and my sons 380 doesn't. Yes we are an avid 2A family. Luckily everyone on my home is an adult and trained in firearms so I don't have the "small children worry". I'm more concerned about cross-fire than anything but we've also discussed that too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Personally, I prefer to have one in the chamber. In a self-defense situation, every second counts. Some folks say that the sound of racking the slide might scare the bad guy away. I don't know how much I would depend on that.
You should decide which you feel more comfortable with.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The answer to this question depends on you. Personally, I don't have any firearms that are loaded without a round in the chamber. Some people feel leaving a round out of the chamber for a home defense weapon will make it safer if they have children, etc.. I disagree with this train of thought and suggest anyone with kids should have their firearms locked away so that the children cannot access them. There are plenty of options that will keep firearms out of the reach of children, yet still quickly accessible for you if/when needed.

If you ever come to a point where you need to use your firearm in a life or death event, your fine motor skills are going to be gone, your heart rate will be through the the roof and everything you do will need to be gross motor skills. Training with your firearms will help you in these scary times but it's my opinion that having a round in the chamber and ready to go is one less thing to have to worry about. Good luck!
Well said! Can't add anything to that.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Dang Law - you always get to these first...............What he said. It's a very personal thing for each and every one of us. If you can afford it an instant open lock box might be best, or if you feel it necessary you keep it on your person at all times. My kids are grown and moving on to their own lives, but have a healthy respect for all firearms. But as everyone has already said before me (thanks guys) training is the key to all of it. For me, a round in the chamber.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ditto to everything said! Only thing I might add is weapon specific. For example, (though you have already specified Glock, I'll add this) one of my pistols is a Ruger Single Six 22 Mag (new model). The old version was prone to accidental discharge if dropped...new model (mine) overcame that problem. My house is a 2 adult home and my PD weapon is always chambered.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By always having a load in the chamber ready to fire, the striker spring would be under constant tension. Would that cause the spring to weaken over a period of time?

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
No. GLOCKs, and many other firearms are carried like this every day across this great nation. You're good to go with one chambered. Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to fire and you'll be good. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's a matter of preference. If you keep one in the chamber, just don't touch the trigger until you're ready to fire the weapon. If you're worried about accidental trigger activation, keep them in a holster that covers the trigger guard.

·
Registered
361 Posts
i want ez access and ready to fire.

i don't want to fumble with a lockbox or have to walk to a closet or rack the slide and let the bg know things are about to get ugly.
i have a nite light in the bathroom and will be hidden beside the bed, no, i won't go looking for the bg.

i want to reach for the bedside table, takeup a defensive position and if ali-bubba comes in the room armed, bang bang, game/set/match.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My G17 has never been stored with an empty chamber for 17 years now and everything works just fine at the range. My fear is that I may not have the luxury of getting both hands to my gun when the time comes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.