Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I am waiting on my new Personal Security holster for glock with light attached to come in, I decided I wanted to go ahead and try a leather holster for when I don't have the TLR1-s attached. Additionally, I previously used a clip draw for CC and though I am very fond of it, I do not choose to carry chambered using the clip draw. I recently had surgery on my left shoulder and was obviously concerned about needing to rack the slide in the event of having to defend myself.

My LGS had the DeSantis Cozy Partner in stock and after a short discussion of some of the features and how to safely break in the leather I decided to go for it.

Glove Helmet Tints and shades Automotive lighting Personal protective equipment

When i first placed my g19 in the holster it was overly snug and the slide wanted to pull back some as i inserted it. The (dcp) has an adjustable retention screw so I backed it out and tested it til I was happy with the retention. GUN IS UNLOADED... I got some seran wrap and wrapped maybe 3 layers around the slide and trigger guard. I then ran the faucet til the water was very warm and quickly placed the holster under it. I immediately took paper towel and dabbed it across the holster to make sure there was no excess water and that the holster was barely damp. I then placed the seran wrapped g19 into the holster and let it sit overnight. After removing the seran wrap the glock holstered and unholstered with my ideal amount of retention.

First time CC thoughts... I have only had the opportunity to wear the holster once since acquiring it (stuck in the apartment mostly resting/healing) my first thoughts are very pleasant on the comfort and conceal-ability. The Cozy Partner features a sweat guard that makes carrying IWB without an undershirt very manageable in terms of the gun rubbing against bare skin. The glock is easy to draw from the holster from the 3 - 4 o'clock position and i experienced no issues reholstering. When I sat down, the glock remained in place and did not interfere with me sitting down and did not roughly scrape my side.

My only complaint about the holster would be its attachment method but its not much of a complaint. The DCP attaches via 2 snap loops. The snaps are designed so that they only come unsnapped in 1 direction. My complaint is that the loops being so close together that if I wear some of my shorts that have wide belt support bands that it limits where I locate the holster. Granted this is only an issue on 5-10% of my pants/shorts, I still want to mention it so if others have mostly a wardrobe consisting of wide belt supports they can prepare.

Camera lens Digital camera Reflex camera Camera Textile

Readers should note that this review is based off of a single carry for about 3-4 hours. Once I use this holster for an all day carry I will post a follow up and hopefully can get out of my sling long enough to take a photo of myself wearing it. Additionally to get an idea of my body type... I am 5'7" 200lbs 34" waist. I am a little overweight but a lot of those pounds are muscle as when I was in college I did a bit of weight lifting. Desk job has made me a bit soft/flabby around the mid section but legs and arms still in good shape.

I hope others find this review helpful and thanks for reading!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I tried the cozy partner with my 17 for about 2 weeks. I wore it usually for 2-4 hours at a time but several days were all day long and here's my .02

1. Very comfortable to wear at first.

2. After 2 hours I am sweating so much I was afraid the holster was gonna get stained, (Mine is tan, not black) and constantly adjusting to get the wet spot to ease up a bit.

3. The snaps are worthless with any belt over 2.5", it's too much tension and at least one of them was popping off throughout the day, resulting in the holster canting one way or the other.

4. Even with adjustment I was either feeling the gun was too loose or the holster wanted to come along with every draw.

IMHO it's a very comfortable holster but I was not at all comforted by wearing it.
I would rather carry my OWB Serpa, dealing with the button and obvious printing than use the cozy partner.

For what it's worth I am 5'10" and 40" waist.
I carry at 4 to 5 on the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good comments... But 2.5" belt??? Im not sure ive seen one that wide.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry I meant 1.5... If I wear a 1.5 it works fine, 1.75 it's popping open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10 hours and counting...

I have worn the holster since 7:30 this morning.... LOVE THIS HOLSTER. It has not moved on me once and have been able to comfortably wear a compact glock for 10 hours now. I just got home and removed the glock but still have the holster on. I did not have an undershirt on today (cause i cant put one on with my shoulder slinged up) and the rough texture of the gen4 wasn't too bad against my skin, however i believe if i carry for this period again i will add a bicycle tube grip enhancer for long durations until i can wear an undershirt again.

I would recommend this holster to someone with a similar build to mine for a compact glock.

Time to go buy a tent for some fall camping/wheeling trips and CC a little more :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up wearing this holster for a total of 17 hours today. 10 hours indoors about 78 degrees, and 5 hours outdoors in a campground in the upper 80s / low 90s and 2 hours in a vehicle with the gun still holstered. I drew the holster from the gun about 4 times today just for testing how easily it could be done and reholstering. Had no issues in either case. Was worn in the 3 o'clock area.

Ill let you decide if this was test enough for you to venture trying one.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad you found it useful. Ill be writing another review on a Personal Security Holster once it comes in as well as a holster similar to the Crossbreed Supertuck once I have read enough and looked at enough pictures to make a decision on which manufacturers variation I want to go with.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thought I would give an update on how this holster is performing. I am still very fond of the comfort and conceal-ability this holster offers. My biggest complaint on it is the dual loops... oddly enough it really limits where you can locate the holster along your belt on even regular jeans. I find that I primarily carry in the 3 o'clock position with this holster at times approaching 4:00 but not quite depending on the clothing which is not good for building memory of drawing the firearm. I am still new at carrying concealed and handguns in general so I am still figuring out what I prefer in terms of carry position so I will forgive this flaw for temporary. I also find that I am needing to purchase a better belt which i have been looking at recently.

If anyone can comment on either of the 3 that I have listed or suggest another I would greatly appreciate it. Also I have currently been using a 1.5" leather belt for my designated "gun belt". What are you thoughts on going up to a 1.75" belt? Has anyone ever run into issues with that wide of a belt fitting casual jeans and pants?

1.75"
Cobra Gun Belts « Endeavor Stitch Works and Gear

or 1.5"
1.5 inch wide cobra gun belt « Endeavor Stitch Works and Gear

or different altoghether..
V-ring Gun Belts « Endeavor Stitch Works and Gear

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Most of the shorts/pants that I wear would not accommodate a 1.75" belt. I have some nicer dress pants that I wear occasionally that barely accommodate a 1.5" belt.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats what i am afraid of... it wouldn't hurt to have one in both sizes but just getting started i dont want to go buy of the same belt and not like it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a Royal Guard by Galco that I had bought years ago for my Kimber, but I never got used to the feel of an IWB holster and didn't want to spend money of larger pants to accomodate the holster and gun. The Kimber sits quietly in the gun safe since I was introduced to Glocks fantastic firearms. I purchased number six last week. I discovered Hillsman Holsters out of Brookshire, Tx.. I had Mr. Hillsman custom make me a holster for my 30SF. Undoubtedly the best holster I've ever bought. With the weather getting cooler in the Tennesse mountains, concealment is not an issue. I have read a lot about Cross Breed (not sure of the spelling). I just might have to buy at least one pair of pants large enough to try this one out.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
thats what i am afraid of... it wouldn't hurt to have one in both sizes but just getting started i dont want to go buy of the same belt and not like it.
Most quality holsters are going to come with either 1.5" or 1.75" belt loops. You don't want to carry with 1.75" loops on a 1.5" belt as it will allow for too much slop and movement. I'd stick with a 1.5" myself.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most quality holsters are going to come with either 1.5" or 1.75" belt loops. You don't want to carry with 1.75" loops on a 1.5" belt as it will allow for too much slop and movement. I'd stick with a 1.5" myself.
Sound advice...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts