Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The topic of GLOCK lubrication often comes up online. Here's the skinny on the proper way to lube a GLOCK.

I won't proclaim to be an expert but I'm a GLOCK Certified Armorer and this is what is taught in the course and what is shown in the armorer's manual. It has served me well.

I took some pics and used cleaning tips to point out lube points. Each lube point only gets a small drop of oil. I personally use wet oil applied with a needle tip bottle. The brand isn't overly important as any lube is better than no lube. Brand preference is a Ford vs Chevy debate I don't care to start here. Some prefer anti-seize or grease. That's another debate altogether. I still prefer wet oil applied sparingly to the points in the pic and nowhere else.

Note: this particular is a G34 I recently won and it has not seen many rounds thus far. I have detail stripped it but haven't really cleaned it yet. Note the copper anti-seize applied at the factory is still visible inside the slide. That's OK. It is NOT necessary to remove it when you purchase a new GLOCK. It's OK if you do, just re-apply oil afterward.

The most important point to get lubed is under the hook of the connector where it meets the crucifix. In one of the pics below you can see some white grease. I used the needle tip wet oil bottle to point out the exact spot.

First, field strip the pistol.
Here are the lube points.
Place a drop of oil in the rail channel of each side of the slide.
Place a drop of oil on the top of the EDP channel cover. There is probably a more official name for this part but I don't know it.
Place a drop of oil inside the slide forward of the injection port.
Place a drop of oil on the top and inside of each part of the barrel lug.
Place a drop of oil on the barrel and rub it around a bit with your finger.

Here's the sweet spot ... between the trigger bar and connector ... where you see the white grease. Lubing this spot will give you a smoother trigger pull. It will feel better. Trust me on this. This is actually the only spot I use grease on a GLOCK. I feel the grease stays put longer.

So, here's the deal. A while back ... way back ... when I went inactive on this site I deleted the pics from my Photobucket account so the links went dead. I have had a lot of requests over the past year or two to add them back and have been too lazy. I rec'd another request last week so here is really the main pic you need to understand all the details below. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Lastly, I don't get too worked up over lubing GLOCKs since I clean my pistols fairly regularly. Sometimes I use too little lube, sometimes I use too much. Not a big deal with a GLOCK. With some pistols, especially a 1911, lube is MUCH more important.

A GLOCK will run with no lube for a long time. I don't recommend it but it will still run.

A GLOCK will get excessively gunked up with too much lube. The lube both attracts and holds grit and grime. This is actually more likely to cause a malfunction than no lube at all in a GLOCK. Don't get me wrong ... it will take thousands and thousands of rounds to cause a GLOCK to choke from being too dirty. Most of us won't ever reach that point.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't use as much grease as you have picutured.
I went heavy for effect. I wanted it to be visible in the pics. I don't generally use that much either.

Also, I am an Eezox freak. As part of my cleaning routine I actually field strip the gun then place the barrel, recoil spring assembly, barrel, and slide in the bed of my truck. I hose it all down with the aerosol Eezox and allow it to sit for a few minutes. Once it has had time to do it's magic I wipe the parts down then do any detail cleaning I need, then lube, then re-assemble.

If you are not familiar with Eeozox ... it is a cleaner, anti-corrosive, and lube all in one. It is also one of the best smells known to man.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to know where you buy the pointed Qtips???
They were either from Brownell's or Midway USA. I can't recall which. Regular Q-tips come unwound too easily and are too fat on the tip to do much good. These are awesome. The stick doesn't bend and break either. I had to use a razor knife and really bear down to cut them in half for the pics.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In picture, number 3, you show some "LUBE", not oil, WHY and what type?
This is the only spot on a GLOCK I use grease rather than wet oil. Grease stays put longer so since this is really the most critical spot to lube I go that route.

This particular white stuff is TW25B. Specifically, it is one of those little sample pouches they sometimes ship with a firearm. I think this came with a SIG a long time ago. I had never used this brand until I opened this pouch recently and am actually quite fond of it.

My normal grease is Shooters Choice All Weather High Tech grease in a syringe. Like this ....
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=42637/pid=0/sku/All_Weather_High_Tech_Grease

I only buy grease in syringes as it makes it easier to apply in the correct spot and in the correct amount. If you prefer to buy in bulk you can purchase empty, new syringes and load your own. I have a couple on hand from Brownell's in the event I find something in bulk I just can't pass up.

There are plenty of great brands. This is just what I like based on its' consistency.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Great post VolGrad! THANKS!!

A friend at work (Glock owner) uses Gun Butter products. Anyone here have any feedback about this grease?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Great thread Volgrad. Good info. Need to look for some pointed Q-tips. Thanks.

·
Administrator
6,979 Posts
This is the only spot on a GLOCK I use grease rather than wet oil. Grease stays put longer so since this is really the most critical spot to lube I go that route.

This particular white stuff is TW25B. Specifically, it is one of those little sample pouches they sometimes ship with a firearm. I think this came with a SIG a long time ago. I had never used this brand until I opened this pouch recently and am actually quite fond of it.

My normal grease is Shooters Choice All Weather High Tech grease in a syringe. Like this ....
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=42637/pid=0/sku/All_Weather_High_Tech_Grease

I only buy grease in syringes as it makes it easier to apply in the correct spot and in the correct amount. If you prefer to buy in bulk you can purchase empty, new syringes and load your own. I have a couple on hand from Brownell's in the event I find something in bulk I just can't pass up.

There are plenty of great brands. This is just what I like based on its' consistency.
Excellent post, Vol... There are so many videos about lubing Glocks on YouTube... Lots of them are "lacking" in my estimation... You've covered everything and with some great photos, too... and of course the classiest q-tips I've ever laid eyes on!

I also use Shooters Choice, but I use it for the rails and barrel, too... I'm not a fanatic about it, but I always was afraid that oil might drip or end up getting somewhere that I didn't want it to go... I do put a thin film or RemOil inside the barrel after I finish cleaning it with Hoppes #9.

Great post VolGrad! THANKS!!

A friend at work (Glock owner) uses Gun Butter products. Anyone here have any feedback about this grease?
I have heard of people using it... I've never seen any of it myself... dunno...

My personal opinion is that it's probably a good grease... Not sure there's really a lot of difference between one grease and onother... Maybe someone else has a better answer...

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.