Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These guys are getting smarter. I started looking for, watching suspicious auctions after I posted an auction for a Gen1 17L that turned out to be a scam.

Quick summary:

Scammers are opening accounts and taking adds from past Gunbroker auctions or from other sites and listing them. This has gone on forever but was more common on other sale sights. There has been a explosion of these scammers on Gunbroker, likely tied to the recent increase in gun prices and demand.

Typically the way to spot them is/was a rating of NR and Buy It Now prices below current market.

Update:
One guy I was watching now has multiple positive reviews - from auctions that ended just minutes prior to the review being left. I think one of the reviews was an overexcited legit buyer who left feedback immediately after the auction. The 2nd looks bogus given the timeline - they may have gotten the idea from the 1st and are doing some fake purchases to build the rep. They’d pay some auction fees but that’s cheap compared to a good score.

I see some are now setting prices closer to market. Some sales didn’t complete because the buyer became suspicious.

They are managing to get “Verified” accounts, so I would assume they’re using stolen identities as a photo ID is required to get verified.

I been following one that even recently managed to get an FFL badge added to his account.

What to do:
Gunbroker support has been useless. I’ve attempted to report scams by sending links to the current auction and the original listing. So far the only GB Support response was to send a link to explain how to complete a Buy It Now sale.

Still, if you spot a scam - keep reporting, maybe they’ll eventually pay attention.

Before buying anything, research it. Search using the item’s description or unique phrases in the description. The scammers don’t appear to be knowledgeable about guns so they aren’t altering descriptions by much. So far this has been enough to find the original listing. I haven’t had as much success doing photo search - apparently Glocks all look alike to Google.

Any other information or recommendations you guys have are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,948 Posts
Geez... Criminals are getting more and more sophisticated.

I would have thought Gunbroker would be more active in detecting and policing these fake sales... Ultimately Gunbroker will lose sales and business due to word of mouth... By then it may be too late for them to survive.

Good post @MtStream... Thanks for keeping us updated.

Reactions: OHgaz

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thank you for the information. I think I will just stick to the stores for now, on any new purchase.

Reactions: MtStream
1 - 3 of 3 Posts