Glock Pro Forums banner
161 - 180 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Here's my first photo with the new Nikon micro lens.
The first image is hard to distinguish curves and shadows because it has a 3-D look to it, the forefront is ok, (a bit crisp), but sides and such are distorted.

The grip image looks killer ! (pun intended)

I think a solid background would help when using a stainless/chrome subject.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The first image is hard to distinguish curves and shadows because it has a 3-D look to it, the forefront is ok, (a bit crisp), but sides and such are distorted.

The grip image looks killer ! (pun intended)

I think a solid background would help when using a stainless/chrome subject.
Thanks. Image reality...the way a subject actually looks to the eye...is what I hope to accomplish. Providing an uncluttered contrasting background is one small step. Getting the technical stuff right is going to be more of a challenge.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What I've done in the past is machine a small 90degree angle to attach the camera at the bottom of the post. ( my tripod had a 1/4-20 screw thereto allow for a very low mounting option i guess) I just screwed the adapter onto the bottom of the post and then the camera onto the adapter. place the tripod on the table and you are pointing straight down.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What I've done in the past is machine a small 90degree angle to attach the camera at the bottom of the post. ( my tripod had a 1/4-20 screw thereto allow for a very low mounting option i guess) I just screwed the adapter onto the bottom of the post and then the camera onto the adapter. place the tripod on the table and you are pointing straight down.
I can picture the 90 degree adapter screwed to the tripod post bottom, but I can't figure out what you made it from. Plus, the machining part excludes me immediately. Is this an adapter that might be available from a photo supply house as a finished tripod component?

Does this setup allow access to the viewfinder for composing?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can picture the 90 degree adapter screwed to the tripod post bottom, but I can't figure out what you made it from. Plus, the machining part excludes me immediately. Is this an adapter that might be available from a photo supply house as a finished tripod component?

Does this setup allow access to the viewfinder for composing?
I made it out of a piece of scrap angle iron at work. (1/8" x 1 1/2" x 1 1/2")
1/4 -20 tapped hole inone side and a 9/32 clearance hole in the other side.

the whole camera mounts off to the side of the post so the view finder is viewable.

PM me your address and I will send you one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I made it out of a piece of scrap angle iron at work. (1/8" x 1 1/2" x 1 1/2")
1/4 -20 tapped hole inone side and a 9/32 clearance hole in the other side.

the whole camera mounts off to the side of the post so the view finder is viewable.

PM me your address and I will send you one.
Thanks. I'll check my tripod to see if the post is threaded on the bottom end to accommodate the adapter.

Sounds like a very good setup if the post works out.

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here's a pic of the Velbon 'Articulating Boom Arm' that I purchased for tabletop photos. The adjustable 'boom' mounts atop any tripod. It requires a separate adjustable ball head to attach the camera; I'll use a Velbon QHD-43D aluminum ball head from Amazon at $69.95.

This shot looks closer at the tripod/boom connection and the camera connection to the ball head. The camera is attached with the quick release feature of the ball head.

This set up seems stable and its fully adjustable. The boom will extend a fair amount more if greater reach beyond the tripod is needed.

These pics were quickly done with my pocket camera, so the quality ain't so great.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Here's a pic of the Velbon 'Articulating Boom Arm' that I purchased for tabletop photos. The adjustable 'boom' mounts atop any tripod. It requires a separate adjustable ball head to attach the camera; I'll use a Velbon QHD-43D aluminum ball head from Amazon at $69.95.

This shot looks closer at the tripod/boom connection and the camera connection to the ball head. The camera is attached with the quick release feature of the ball head.

This set up seems stable and its fully adjustable. The boom will extend a fair amount more if greater reach beyond the tripod is needed.

These pics were quickly done with my pocket camera, so the quality ain't so great.
Thanks very much, that's useful information. I'll be ordering this shortly!

Chris

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
So how does one go about making setting changes, centering image in window, or any other camera functions that require the lcd and buttons on the back of the camera ?

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
So how does one go about making setting changes, centering image in window, or any other camera functions that require the lcd and buttons on the back of the camera ?
You will need to install a trapeze, so that you can hang from the ceiling.

Chris

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Pics or it ain't so ....

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't think it will be nearly as awkward as it appears to look through the viewfinder and change settings. I can't testify to that, 'cause I haven't used it for real yet. If the trapeze doesn't work, maybe scaffolding will!

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Nice images !

·
Registered
66 Posts
I loves me some outdoor lighting, and I just found something else that I like: A Light Ring!

Really helps get those images to pop by getting rid of the shadows.

Here's the link to the Halo Micro Ring Flash: Aputure Amaran Halo AHL-HN100 LED Micro Ring Flash Light AHL-HN100

...and some proof pics!

They are nice images, and I appreciate them even more on the full size screen of my laptop. I just realized how much image quality difference there is between my iPad and MacBook Pro. I guess size does make a difference!!

Dakota, did you consider cropping the images a little tighter? I probably crop gun photos too much, but I would have cropped the ends a little closer and cropped out a good bit of the deck plank the pistol is resting on. In my simple way of looking at gun photos, reducing stuff that may detract from the subject is a good thing. On the other hand, sometimes the surroundings add to the naturalness of a photo. This is just a thought from someone trying to learn how to take good gun photographs.

Your gun is cool and the images are sharp. Nice work.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Here you go J_man !

Sleeve Baby & toddler clothing T-shirt Aqua Font

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
That's a nice rig. I don't own any jackets so it wouldn't work for me.
I have an Alien Gear holster for the 6906 and a Remora for the 3913. Even carrying the double stack 6906 is easy with the Alien Gear. I had it on yesterday and it was quite warm here.

·
Registered
54 Posts
They are nice images, and I appreciate them even more on the full size screen of my laptop. I just realized how much image quality difference there is between my iPad and MacBook Pro. I guess size does make a difference!!

Dakota, did you consider cropping the images a little tighter? I probably crop gun photos too much, but I would have cropped the ends a little closer and cropped out a good bit of the deck plank the pistol is resting on. In my simple way of looking at gun photos, reducing stuff that may detract from the subject is a good thing. On the other hand, sometimes the surroundings add to the naturalness of a photo. This is just a thought from someone trying to learn how to take good gun photographs.

Your gun is cool and the images are sharp. Nice work.
Good advice, and I'll try cropping it a bit more. I also have an idea for a better/more neutral backgroud that will also solve having to prop the gun up on something.

Stay tuned!

161 - 180 of 215 Posts